Writer looking for help regarding death prediction

In summary: So if you had a person who had a 25% chance of living to 36 and then they died at 30, then the death would be considered natural even though the person's actual age would have been 36.
barnot
Hi,

I'm writing a novel set in the future and wanted to find an opinion on the future possibility of determining a person's life expectancy down to a fairly specific prediction. For example, If you had a very old man and access to all of his medical information (dna, etc.), could you predict he had 24 months to live, plus or minus one month? Plus or minus a week?

Would that ever be possible?

If so:
What sort of medical info from the person would be needed?
What science breakthroughs would be needed?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Barnot

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums,

I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is no for several reasons*. The biggest point is that our biology is largely contextual dependent on environment, we could have many exact copies of the same man and if they lived different lives they would die at different times. There's the obvious points that the person could get hit by a car but then less obvious like the level of stress, intoxicants in the environment, whether or not they have good heating, diet etc.

The only thing I could think of as a possibility is that with a very thorough understanding of biology (in other words we understand every -omic from genomics to phenomics), an extensive database of how others have aged at the molecular level (and why) and detailed knowledge of the person's lifestyle then you may be able to give an upper limit on age or at least a series of probabilities e.g 90% survival at 12 months, 60% at 24, 10% at 36, 1% at 60 etc.

*the obvious point being that if they have a terminal/life-limiting disease then you could give them a life expectancy.

Thanks Ryan! I appreciate it.

I should have added (if it changes anyone's opinion), that the cause of death is assumed "natural" (i.e., no cancer, accidents, etc.).

What is death prediction?

Death prediction is the process of using scientific methods and data to estimate the likelihood of an individual's death. It involves analyzing various factors such as age, health conditions, lifestyle habits, and genetic predispositions.

Why would a writer need help with death prediction?

Writers may need help with death prediction for their characters in a story or for research purposes. It can add depth and realism to their work and help them accurately portray the consequences of certain actions or events.

What are the limitations of death prediction?

Death prediction is not an exact science and has limitations. Factors such as unforeseen accidents or advancements in medical technology can greatly impact the accuracy of predictions. Additionally, it is not ethical to use death prediction to make important decisions about a person's life.

What methods are used for death prediction?

There are various methods used for death prediction, including statistical models, medical tests, and genetic analysis. These methods are constantly evolving and improving with advancements in technology and research.

Is death prediction reliable?

Death prediction can provide useful insights, but it should not be solely relied upon as an accurate predictor of one's death. It is important to consider multiple factors and consult with medical professionals for a more comprehensive understanding of one's health and risk factors.