Wrong statement about a p-n junction

In summary: Can you expand on this because according to my understanding "becoming less positive" is logically equivalent to "becoming more negative"I mean it is like saying "becoming less tall" which obviously is equivalent to "becoming more...short"It is the logical opposite of "becoming more positive." To be logically opposite, one should be false if and only if the other is true. That is not the case for "becoming less negative."It is the logical opposite of "becoming more positive." To be logically opposite, one should be false if and only if the other is true. That is not the case for "becoming less negative."I am not sure about that, but it is
songoku

Homework Statement

A p type semiconductor is brought into contact with an n type semiconductor to form p - n junction. Which statement is false?

A. During forward bias condition, if applied p.d. overcomes the junction potential, electron will cross steadily from n - type side to p - type side

B. During reverse bias condition, the width of the depletion region becomes larger as the externally applied p.d. adds to the junction potential

C. During reverse bias condition, the p type semiconductor becomes less negative

D. During reverse bias condition, the p type semiconductor becomes less positive

E. Under increasingly high reverse bias p.d., current can increase sharply through the p-n junction

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I think option A is correct but I am not sure about "if the applied p.d. overcomes thr junction potential". Let say I have a diode connected to dc source having a small emf (maybe 1 mV) in forward bias condition, is it possible that current not flowing because 1 mV can not overcome junction potential?

Option B is correct because holes in p type will be attracted to negative terminal of the power source and electrons in n type will be attracted to positive terminal of power source so potential barrier increases.

Option C and D, not sure. Can n type or p type of p-n junction become less positive / negative in forward / reverse bias condition? If it is possible, it means that in reverse bias condition p type becomes less positive because electrons from the negative terminal of power source fill the holes in p type?

I think option E correct, breakdown of p-n junction happens but how to explain it with regards to depletion layer? In reverse bias condition, the width of depletion layer increses and if the p.d. of power source is increased again and again there will be a point where the depletion layer decreases until zero instead of keep increasing?

Thanks

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
"C" is incorrect. Reverse bias apply negative potential to P area, therefore it become more negative, not less

Likes songoku, CWatters and Delta2
Interesting this can be (almost) answered by knowing very little about semiconductor electronics and using laws of logic only.

We can notice (after some careful thinking) that options C and D are the opposite of each other so one is false and the other is true (given the law of logic that for a statement P only one of P, or (not P) can be true, and the other is false). So the false statement is one of C or D.

trurle said:
"C" is incorrect. Reverse bias apply negative potential to P area, therefore it become more negative, not less

By applying negative potential to P area, is it correct to say that electrons from the negative terminal of power source fill the holes in p type? And electrons from n type move to positive terminal of the power source?

Delta2 said:
Interesting this can be (almost) answered by knowing very little about semiconductor electronics and using laws of logic only.

We can notice (after some careful thinking) that options C and D are the opposite of each other so one is false and the other is true (given the law of logic that for a statement P only one of P, or (not P) can be true, and the other is false). So the false statement is one of C or D.

How about the reasoning to each option? Is it correct? And can you please address to my questions regarding to each of the option?

Thanks

No sorry i can't comment much on the reasoning for each option as i am afraid i don't know much about semiconductor electronics.

I can invoke @gneill and @CWatters who i believe they know a lot more than me on this specific area.

Likes songoku and Delta2
Delta2 said:

Or it could be that neither C nor D is correct. Not suggesting that that's the case; just critiquing the reasoning ...

rude man said:
Or it could be that neither C nor D is correct. Not suggesting that that's the case; just critiquing the reasoning ...

That could be the case indeed, but then we would have two possible answers for this multiple choice test, and this test implies that the answer is only one (it asks which (i assume which one ) of the following is wrong). But yeah deep down we can't exclude the possibility that this test has two (or more) wrong statements.

Delta2 said:

If "becoming less positive" means: "It's positive without any bias, and less positive with reverse bias", then that is not the logical negation of "becoming less negative".

willem2 said:
If "becoming less positive" means: "It's positive without any bias, and less positive with reverse bias", then that is not the logical negation of "becoming less negative".
Can you expand on this because according to my understanding "becoming less positive" is logically equivalent to "becoming more negative"

I mean it is like saying "becoming less tall" which obviously is equivalent to "becoming more short"

Delta2 said:
That could be the case indeed, but then we would have two possible answers for this multiple choice test, and this test implies that the answer is only one (it asks which (i assume which one ) of the following is wrong). But yeah deep down we can't exclude the possibility that this test has two (or more) wrong statements.
You're right. It is implied that there is only one wrong answer. I missed that little subtlety. o:)

Likes Delta2
C and D are both wrong if you consider the that the depletion region (positive in the n material and negative in the p material) increases in size in the reverse bias. i.e. The p material becomes more negative and the n material becomes more positive due to the increase in size of the depletion region.
...+++-+---
p side +++-+--- n side
...+++-+---

CWatters said:

I have read the link and I have several questions:
1. How can the minority charge carriers pass through the depletion layer? Is it something to do with barrier tunneling?

2. In reverse - biased condition, the number of electrons that move from n - type to positive terminal of power source will be equal to number of electrons that move from negative terminal of power source to p - type so that the net charge in the p - n junction is zero (it is still neutral)?

3. What happens to the depletion layer when breakdown occurs? As external p.d. increases, the number of minority charge carriers increases and large reverse current will be produced hence breakdown occurs. So it means that the the depletion layer will increase at first and then it vanishes because minority charge carriers have enough energy to penetrate the layer?

4. Does holes can move around or actually only electrons move? I mean holes just like the conventional current (flow of positive charge), it actually does not flow and the one flowing is electron.

Thanks

WesMisenheimer said:
C and D are both wrong if you consider the that the depletion region (positive in the n material and negative in the p material) increases in size in the reverse bias. i.e. The p material becomes more negative and the n material becomes more positive due to the increase in size of the depletion region.
...+++-+---
p side +++-+--- n side
...+++-+---

Maybe I misinterpret your post but I think you are saying that p material becomes more negative which suits option D?

Likes SammyS
songoku said:
I have read the link and I have several questions:
1. How can the minority charge carriers pass through the depletion layer? Is it something to do with barrier tunneling?

The applied voltage pushes minority carriers towards the depletion layer. Then, if I remember correctly, there are thermally created electron hole pairs in the depletion layer that allow a very small current to pass. This is called the reverse bias saturation current. Its typically a constant current (eg independent of the applied voltage) but is dependent on temperature.

2. In reverse - biased condition, the number of electrons that move from n - type to positive terminal of power source will be equal to number of electrons that move from negative terminal of power source to p - type so that the net charge in the p - n junction is zero (it is still neutral)?

I think that's correct.

3. What happens to the depletion layer when breakdown occurs? As external p.d. increases, the number of minority charge carriers increases and large reverse current will be produced hence breakdown occurs. So it means that the the depletion layer will increase at first and then it vanishes because minority charge carriers have enough energy to penetrate the layer?

Explanation off breakdown here..

https://ecee.colorado.edu/~bart/book/book/chapter4/ch4_5.htm

4. Does holes can move around or actually only electrons move? I mean holes just like the conventional current (flow of positive charge), it actually does not flow and the one flowing is electron.

A hole is an atom missing an electron. The atoms don't move.

Likes songoku
CWatters said:
A hole is an atom missing an electron. The atoms don't move.
So the phrase "holes are attracted towards..." or "holes diffuses towards..." or "holes moves to..." all have the same meaning that actually holes do not move and electrons are the one moving filling the holes?

Thanks

songoku said:
So the phrase "holes are attracted towards..." or "holes diffuses towards..." or "holes moves to..." all have the same meaning that actually holes do not move and electrons are the one moving filling the holes?

Thanks
A hole is the absence of an electron. Holes do have characteristibcs like mobility which differ from that of electrons (electron mobility is roughly twice that of holes).
This is all a matter of quantum mechanics, and as I'm sure you've heard before, it's inappropriate to use "coomon sense" in this area.

Likes songoku and CWatters
A Hole is a bit like an IOU note. It's not really money but can move from person to person like money. Although not money it does carry wealth with it.

OK yes it a bad analogy. Sorry I mentioned it.

Likes gneill
I am so sorry for late reply.

Thank you very much for all the help

1. What is a p-n junction?

A p-n junction is a type of semiconductor junction that is formed when a p-type semiconductor (with excess holes) and an n-type semiconductor (with excess electrons) are brought into contact with each other. This results in a depletion region, where the majority carriers from each material diffuse into the other, creating an electric field.

2. How does a p-n junction work?

A p-n junction works by creating a built-in potential between the p-type and n-type materials, due to the difference in their majority carrier concentrations. This potential creates a barrier that prevents the majority carriers from diffusing across the junction, but allows minority carriers to cross and recombine, creating a flow of current.

3. What is a common mistake people make when discussing p-n junctions?

A common mistake people make when discussing p-n junctions is assuming that the depletion region is completely devoid of carriers. In reality, there are still some minority carriers present in this region, but they are greatly reduced compared to the majority carriers.

4. Can a p-n junction be reverse biased?

Yes, a p-n junction can be reverse biased by applying a voltage that is opposite to the built-in potential. This increases the width of the depletion region, reducing the flow of current through the junction.

5. What are some applications of p-n junctions?

P-n junctions have many practical applications, including in diodes, transistors, solar cells, and light-emitting diodes (LEDs). They are also used in electronic components such as rectifiers, voltage regulators, and switch-mode power supplies.