WTF Blessed water to treat citrus canker?

• News
  • Thread starter Rabid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, Rep. Katherine Harris' (R-Fla.) Senate campaign hasn't exactly gotten off to a good start. Dems are anxious to remind voters about Harris' role in stealing a presidential election, while Republicans are openly recruiting other candidates to run against her in a GOP primary. But Harris' policy work is also open to scrutiny. As my friend John at C&L, and alert reader K.B. noted, Harris has used to her office to generate support for some fairly bizarre ideas, such as using water as a canker cure. Four years ago, as the state labored to eradicate citrus canker by destroying trees, officials rejected other disease-fighting techniques, saying unproven methods would waste precious time and resources
Rabid
Rep. Katherine Harris' (R-Fla.) Senate campaign hasn't exactly gotten off to a good start. Dems are anxious to remind voters about Harris' role in stealing a presidential election, while Republicans are openly recruiting other candidates to run against her in a GOP primary.
But Harris' policy work is also open to scrutiny. As my friend John at C&L, and alert reader K.B., noted, Harris has used to her office to generate support for some fairly bizarre ideas.
Four years ago, as the state labored to eradicate citrus canker by destroying trees, officials rejected other disease-fighting techniques, saying unproven methods would waste precious time and resources.
But for more than six months, the state, at the behest of then-Secretary of State Katherine Harris, did pursue one alternative method — a very alternative method.
Researchers worked with a rabbi and a cardiologist to test "Celestial Drops," promoted as a canker inhibitor because of its "improved fractal design," "infinite levels of order" and "high energy and low entropy."
But the cure proved useless against canker. That's because it was water — possibly, mystically blessed water.
The "product is a hoax and not based on any credible known science," the state's chief of entomology, nematology and plant pathology wrote to agriculture officials and fellow scientists after testing Celestial Drops in October 2001.
Every time there's any kind of natural dilemma such as a drought or canker outbreak, crackpots will approach government officials to offer their "assistance." The appropriate response is to politely thank them for the offer, decline the invitation, and not make any sudden movements.
Katherine Harris, however, heard about treating citrus canker with mystically blessed water and proceeded to encourage officials in Florida to consider the idea, work with its proponents, and develop test protocols for these so-called Celestial Drops.
Keep in mind, this wasn't just a member of Congress writing a form letter as a respectful gesture to a constituent. Harris urged state agriculture officials to work with New York Rabbi Abe Hardoon and his associates on his Celestial Drop proposal.
And she made sure there was follow-up.
State records…suggest Harris had a keen interest in the project.
She was repeatedly sent copies of the letters and memos bouncing between Florida canker officials and Hardoon. In August 2001, Harris herself jotted a note to Hardoon. "I would love to see this work," it says.
All the while, some canker researchers questioned why they were cooperating with Hardoon when he had produced little evidence that Celestial Drops worked. In one memo, a University of Florida citrus scientist suggested agriculture officials had been "put in a politically difficult position." It did not say by whom.
Better yet, confronted with the problem this week, Harris contacted Hardoon to inquire about the situation. Harris said Hardoon blamed Celestial Drops' poor test performance on state scientists.
"He said they didn't follow the proper protocols," Harris said.
Of course not. Perhaps Bigfoot interfered with the control sample and a unicorn messed up the testing procedures.
http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/4618.html
I thought this might get a laugh out of some people here. I find stories like this pretty amusing, at least until I realize that the people behind them are in positions of power.
I am still searching for information on what this brilliant idea costs the taxpayers.
I have little background/knowledge in science, but this story made my jaw drop. It reminds me of the water experriment in What the Bleep.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please let us know what you find. :biggrin:

Maybe she's a fan of Madonna.
Maybe the crops have actually developed citrus herpes after a fertility rite was preformed by pagans who hadn't been properly screened.

What a truly stupid person.

1. What is citrus canker?

Citrus canker is a highly contagious bacterial disease that affects citrus plants. It causes lesions on the leaves, stems, and fruit of the plant, leading to reduced fruit growth and quality.

2. How can blessed water treat citrus canker?

Blessed water is believed to have healing properties and is often used in alternative medicine. Some people believe that using blessed water to water citrus plants can help cure or prevent citrus canker. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support the use of blessed water in treating citrus canker?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the use of blessed water in treating citrus canker. The most effective method for preventing and managing citrus canker is through proper hygiene practices and the use of approved pesticides.

4. Are there any risks associated with using blessed water to treat citrus canker?

While using blessed water may not directly harm the citrus plant, it may give a false sense of security and delay proper treatment of the disease. Additionally, using unapproved substances on citrus plants may violate state or federal laws.

5. What is the recommended method for treating citrus canker?

The recommended method for treating citrus canker is through proper hygiene practices, such as removing infected plant material and disinfecting tools and equipment. In severe cases, approved pesticides may also be used. It is important to follow the guidelines and regulations set by state and federal agencies.