WURTZ REACTION Problem for alkanes using dry ether

In summary, the conversation involved a problem regarding a Wurtz reaction process using dry ether (Na) and the main issue was how to remove the Cl-atom and Br-atom. The solution involved the formation of free radicals and ultimately resulted in Bicyclo[1.1.0]butane. The conversation concluded with confirmation that the answer was correct.
agnibho

Homework Statement

The problem given was to find out the resulting compound of this Wurtz reaction process using dry ether (Na).

Homework Equations

Now the main problem I faced was how to remove the Cl-atom and Br-atom. I am new to this so please help me out.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this out on my own. The dots are of course free electrons. Is this answer possible?? If not please help.

Attachments

• chem.JPG
    chem.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 623
  • chem2.JPG
    chem2.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 578
Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track but those free electrons (these are called free radicals) will appear on the carbons attached to the halogens. Can you proceed now?

Yeah that's right free radicals. I tried this and got Bicyclo[1.1.0]butane. I presume it's right, isn't it??

Attachments

• chem2.JPG
    chem2.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 590
agnibho said:
Yeah that's right free radicals. I tried this and got Bicyclo[1.1.0]butane. I presume it's right, isn't it??

Yep, you got it right! :smile:

Thanks a lot!

What is the purpose of the WURTZ REACTION for alkanes using dry ether?

The WURTZ REACTION is a chemical reaction used to synthesize alkanes using dry ether as a solvent. It is often used in organic chemistry to join two alkyl groups together.

What are the reactants used in the WURTZ REACTION for alkanes using dry ether?

The reactants used in the WURTZ REACTION are two alkyl halides, such as alkyl chlorides, bromides, or iodides, and a metal such as sodium or potassium.

What are the products of the WURTZ REACTION for alkanes using dry ether?

The products of the WURTZ REACTION are alkanes, specifically longer chain alkanes than the reactants, and a metal halide byproduct.

What are the limitations of the WURTZ REACTION for alkanes using dry ether?

The WURTZ REACTION is limited to only joining two identical alkyl groups together, and it can only be used with primary or secondary alkyl halides. Tertiary alkyl halides cannot be used as they are too reactive and can lead to undesired side reactions.

How does the WURTZ REACTION for alkanes using dry ether differ from other alkane synthesis methods?

The WURTZ REACTION is unique in that it allows for the synthesis of longer chain alkanes compared to other methods. It also requires the use of a metal catalyst and dry ether as a solvent, whereas other methods may use different reagents and solvents.