WW2 - D-Day - Real Footage in Colour

In summary, during the conversation, the participants discussed the intensity and significance of the D-Day invasion of Normandy during World War II. Questions were raised about the use of "Monitor" warships and the effectiveness of different types of vessels in the operation. The conversation also touched on the casualties of the war and the impact it had on both soldiers and civilians. The use of color footage to depict the war was also mentioned.
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
Intense, dramatic, fantastic and at the same time terrible. A must see for history buffs, I'd say.

WW2 - D-Day. Invasion of Normandy [Real Footage in Colour]

Likes Drakkith, AlexCaledin, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Science news on Phys.org
Oh my, very intense. We must learn from history, or...

Likes AlexCaledin and DennisN
I love these coloring of historic photo and video. The video gives me shivers though. What an insane piece of history.

Likes AlexCaledin and DennisN
Greg Bernhardt said:
I love these coloring of historic photo and video. The video gives me shivers though. What an insane piece of history.
Yeah, same here.

Likes AlexCaledin
Why the US did not use the "Monitor" sort of warship to cover the landing?

AlexCaledin said:

A. The design was 80 years old.
B. They bottom out in 10 feet of water.

Likes AlexCaledin
Vanadium 50 said:
A. The design was 80 years old.
B. They bottom out in 10 feet of water.
Hmmm ... I have just read about some British monitors still serviceable in WW2, with the draft/draught of slightly more than two metres, while the destroyers draft was more than 5 metres - and still the destroyers did the job of final suppression of the German defence at Omaha beach, and some of those destroyers , being too easy targets, got destroyed by the 88mm German guns. So, how much better the monitors would have performed, coming much closer to the Germans and being almost hidden in the water and much heavier armoured.

AlexCaledin said:
So, how much better the monitors would have performed, coming much closer to the Germans and being almost hidden in the water and much heavier armoured.

Don't confuse the USS Monitor's extremely low profile as being typical of all monitors. Most were much larger. Here's a picture of the HMS Marshal Ney, a monitor-type warship commisioned in 1915:
300px-HMSMarshalNeyUnderwayPortsideView1915.jpg

That being said, 'modern' monitor-type vessels typically had very large guns for their size (15-inch warship guns you'd normally see only on a battleship mounted on a ship with a displacement of a cruiser or less) and would likely have made excellent shore bombardment platforms. Indeed, several were built during WW2 for this exact purpose: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberts-class_monitor

The HMS Roberts supported the landings for Operation Torch (Allied landing in North Africa), the invasion of Sicily, landings near Salerno, invasion of Normandy, and landing at Westkapelle. Her sister ship, the HMS Abercrombie, supported the Allied landings near Salerno.

That being said, they were just as vulnerable to counter-battery fire as any other ship was. The largest monitors (like the Roberts class) are much more heavily armored, but much slower than a destroyer, while the smaller monitors are just as unarmored as any destroyer and not nearly as speedy.

Here's a picture of the USS Wyoming, the last U.S. monitor-type warship:
300px-Uss_Wyoming_BM10.jpg

And the HMS Abercrombie:
300px-HMS_Abercrombie_%28F109%29.jpg

As you can see, these are a far cry from the original USS Monitor, bearing a design that is much more in common with contemporary warships of the time than of the Monitor.

Likes AlexCaledin
WOW
Thanks for information!
Another question, after reading D-day memoirs, was, Why no smoking flares were dropped on the beach, to blind the gunners? The water was lowest, there was enough place between the defence line and water.

Last edited:
It was windy that day. It would not have been flares, but smoke artillery rounds. But even without the wind, it would have had little effect - the Germans had pre-registered their artillery and machine guns on the landing areas -this was basic defense tactics during the war. The lack of visibility also cuts both ways

Worth some perspective - Utah beach had little resistance, Omaha Beach suffered, according to the Wiki entry 2000-5000 casualties, Gold was around 1000, Sword was a few hundred and Juno 1200. These were relatively light (<10%) compared to the total number of troops involved and well within what the planners expected. The overall Normandy Campaign cost 120,000 Allied casualties. Compare this to the first day of the Somme in WW1 where the British suffered 57,470 casualties (19,240 dead) out of about 120,000 troops.

BWV said:
Compare this to the first day of the Somme in WW1 where the British suffered 57,470 casualties (19,240 dead) out of about 120,000 troops.

WW2 may have been larger with more overall casualties, but the sheer meat grinder that was the first world war just blows my mind. It is almost unbelievable that any military or political leaders thought that these kinds of casualties were 'acceptable'. And yet they kept happening, day after day, for 4 years.

Likes DennisN and BWV
Drakkith said:
WW2 may have been larger with more overall casualties, but the sheer meat grinder that was the first world war just blows my mind. It is almost unbelievable that any military or political leaders thought that these kinds of casualties were 'acceptable'. And yet they kept happening, day after day, for 4 years.

and similar carnage in WW2 in the East, Normandy and the Western front were a comparative sideshow. If not for the sacrifices of the USSR, the Western allies would have had to suffer Ww1 level casualties to defeat Hitler

Likes AlexCaledin and Drakkith
The War was in Color - Carbon Leaf

I see you've found
a box of my things:
Infantries, tanks, and smoldering airplane wings
These old pictures are cool. Tell me some stories
Was it like the old war movies?
Sit down, son. Let me fill you in

Where to begin? Let's start with the end
This black and white photo
don't capture the skin
From the flash of a gun
to a soldier who's done
Trust me, grandson
The war was in color...

Likes AlexCaledin
AlexCaledin said:

BWV said:
Battleships and destroyers are more effective. Destroyers were able to come close enough to shore to attack targets with direct fire

https://www.usni.org/magazines/naval-history-magazine/2004/june/gallant-destroyers-d-day

I know you asked about warships, but I'd like to add that if I remember correctly the Allies also used a couple of small one man submarines to scout out the landing zones before the invasion. That is, if my WW2 memory serves me correctly :smile:. I'll see if I can find some info about it on the net...

Edit: Operation Gambit; two midget submarines of the Royal Navy scouted out the Sword and Juno landing sites.

Article: How The Royal Navy's X-Class Midget Subs Helped Make D-Day Possible

Likes BWV and AlexCaledin
Drakkith said:
Don't confuse the USS Monitor's extremely low profile as being typical of all monitors. Most were much larger. Here's a picture of the HMS Marshal Ney, a monitor-type warship commisioned in 1915:
View attachment 254183

Hey, funny name I thought, for a Royal Navy ship, first hearing it now. Then I found there was also an HMS Marshal Soult. But they were laid down early in WW1 - very Entente Cordiale spirit.

After the war she was renamed three times, first Vivid, then Drake so that was alright, and finally Alaunia II. I had never heard this last name before, but some Cunard passenger liners were also given it, and apparently was the name of a Celtic deity, and originally of a river and town in Northumbria, perhaps we digress.

Likes Drakkith

1. What is D-Day?

D-Day, also known as the Normandy landings, was a military operation during World War II in which Allied forces invaded Nazi-occupied France on June 6, 1944.

2. Why is D-Day important?

D-Day was a crucial turning point in World War II, as it marked the beginning of the liberation of Europe from Nazi control. It also led to the eventual defeat of Germany and the end of the war.

3. What is the significance of real footage in colour?

The use of real footage in colour provides a more realistic and immersive experience for viewers, allowing them to better understand the events of D-Day and the sacrifices made by soldiers during the war.

4. How was the footage in colour obtained?

The footage in colour was obtained through a process called colorization, where black and white footage is digitally enhanced and color is added to make it appear more lifelike.

5. Is the footage in colour historically accurate?

While the footage in colour may not be an exact representation of the events, it is based on historical research and can provide a more accurate depiction of the time period compared to black and white footage.