X bjorken for binding nucleon

• I
  • Thread starter morenopo2012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nucleon
In summary, the x Bjorken variable is defined as a ratio of the virtuality Q squared to the total energy squared minus the nucleon's mass. However, this expression is only valid for free nucleons. For bound nucleons, the expression is modified to include the binding energy of the nucleon. It is given by the ratio of Q squared to the total energy squared minus the sum of the squared nucleon mass and 2 times the energy transfer.
morenopo2012
TL;DR Summary
What is the expression used to calculate x bjorken for a given nucleon binding in a nucleus, in A number of nucleons.
Hello,

I have been looking into x bjorken variable, which is definied as $$x = \frac {Q^2} {Q^2 + W^2 - M}$$

But this expression is only validate on free nucleon, I would like to know what is the expression for binding nucleon.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question about the x Bjorken variable and its validity on binding nucleons. The expression for the x Bjorken variable on a bound nucleon is slightly different from the one used for free nucleons.

For a bound nucleon, the x Bjorken variable is defined as $$x = \frac{Q^2}{Q^2 + W^2 - M^2 + 2M\nu}$$
where M is the mass of the bound nucleon and $\nu$ is the energy transfer in the interaction. This expression takes into account the binding energy of the nucleon, which affects the kinematics of the interaction.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you have any further inquiries, please let me know.