X-Ray Photography Safety: Risks, Precautions, and Resources

In summary, the conversation centers around the dangers and precautions of building a homemade X-ray machine. The participants caution against undertaking such a project without proper guidance from a qualified technician and mention the potential risks of X-rays passing through walls and harming others. The individual seeking information has outlined a set of safety rules for themselves, including not being physically present when the device is turned on and using multiple measurement instruments to ensure safety. They also mention plans to shield the device in a basement and ask for recommendations on materials to use.
ArixII
Hi,
(I'm not native in English, sorry for if bad English)

Some background:
As a programmer I got more and more distance with physics. I bought a US x-ray tube off ebay to step to a hobby project that naturally keeps me on with refreshing physics knowledge. After the tube came, I jumped into internet and hit head to an article about Edison's assistant's cancer out of x-ray. The fear of 'making health problems' introduced a huge force vector in negative direction and I stayed blocked with my project for 1 year (till now).

Well, fear is no good. Newly I finished a small robot that could be directed from internet, by wifi. I now can use that in my initial x-ray project and not be presented where x-ray is active.

I need to know for safety:
1. how far the device must be from me
2. how long should I not to enter the place after x-ray photography
3. what best / cheapest measurement instruments I must buy to study the environment (I'd like to obtain 2 instruments from 2 different producers, put in the environment and fix a web camera on them, then read before entering the place).

realization:
1. where can I get information to first test the tube I bought and know if it is alive
2. what is the best schematics to put the tube to work.

I would appreciate your kind help in pointing to articles, tutorials online and suggestions / answers for above questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there
welcome to the PF forums :)

you are embarking of a seriously dangerous project for 2 main reasons.
firstly the very hi voltage needed for the X-ray tube and
secondly the X-rays themselves

This is NOT a project that I would suggest you do on your own. You need serious guidance from a well qualified electronics technician who is well versed in dealing with EHT voltages and preferably from another technician with experience with X-ray generation equip.

1. how far the device must be from me

if the unit is in a sealed lead lined room, you are safe on the outside of the room

2. how long should I not to enter the place after x-ray photography

X-rays are present only as long as the tube is energised, just as in a normal light globe...
its on or off.

3. what best / cheapest measurement instruments I must buy to study the environment (I'd like to obtain 2 instruments from 2 different producers, put in the environment and fix a web camera on them, then read before entering the place).

This question is very vague. Specifically, what do you want to study ?
I could answer ... 2 instruments ... a microscope and a seismograph!
but maybe you don't want them ??

cheers
Dave

I'd like to repeat davenn's caution statements. Running a homebuilt X-ray machine is potentially extremely dangerous. As you know, X-rays can pass through walls, ceilings, etc. Without proper shielding, you can irradiate yourself, your neighbors, and passers-by with harmful X-rays. This is a project to undertake with advice from someone who designs and installs medical or industrial X-ray equipment.

Davenn,
Thank you for the caution notes and answers. Actually, the danger I realized in it, stopped me until now for a whole year.

I'm a 36y.o. software engineer, so not that much in kid age to 'play' with danger.

To turn back to the project, I defined a small set of rules for me:
1. human should not be presented physically in, or near the place when I turn on the device
2. before entering back to the place, I must read measurement devices via internet, and safety parameters be proved.

The worst cases I defined:
1. suppose I send the command to turn off the device from internet and come back to place. By error introduced by me in design, the relay won't work and the tube is still on!
2. ok, I put measurement instruments (what sort? how to read?) that I can check from internet and make sure with the level of x-ray in the environment before going there, this seems acceptable, but well, what if the measurement instrument I bought is defected!

The only theoretical solution that came to my mind is that I must buy 2 different measurement instruments from 2 different producers that measure the same thing, then monitor both of them. Probability of both of them be defected is lower.

What I'm now looking for, is like what we need in software practice before doing (programming): a (safe) requirement list. I hope I can soon gather the safety requirement list that I run on my rule-set.

Thank you again)

marcusl said:
I'd like to repeat davenn's caution statements. Running a homebuilt X-ray machine is potentially extremely dangerous. As you know, X-rays can pass through walls, ceilings, etc. Without proper shielding, you can irradiate yourself, your neighbors, and passers-by with harmful X-rays. This is a project to undertake with advice from someone who designs and installs medical or industrial X-ray equipment.

Marcusl,
Thank you, I won't do it without safety requirement list. There would be no neighbors where I'd do it. There is a village out of the city I plan to realize the device in, and command by internet from city. The passers-by, yes, is a danger and I must study safety parameters. Well, I thought that one solution is to put the device in a basement shielded. But what shielding?

Please point me to deeper info, if possible, on these:
-...irradiate yourself,...
-...Without proper shielding...

Theoretically, if I exactly know the parameters which introduce "irradiation state" in a human, I can monitor them and avoid getting to that state. Also, having a nice cnc machine which I use for hobby robot case making, I can make an accurate shielding, covering the final device.

I design in 3D in Autodesk Inventor and turn that to g-code, then use Mach3 to perform machining.

I don't know the material to use for shielding. Please point me to information.

ArixII said:
Davenn,
Thank you for the caution notes and answers. Actually, the danger I realized in it, stopped me until now for a whole year.
I'm a 36y.o. software engineer, so not that much in kid age to 'play' with danger.

You age is not the point, your lack of electronics experience is.

1) Have you ever worked on, build or repaired equipment that is generating well over 1000 Volts ?

2) Do you have any significant electronics building experience ?

If you answer NO to one or both of those, then you are at risk of killing yourself
DO NOT proceed any further till you take heed of what I said in my earlier post
I will repeat...
This is NOT a project that I would suggest you do on your own. You need serious guidance from a well qualified electronics technician who is well versed in dealing with EHT voltages and preferably from another technician with experience with X-ray generation equip.

failing to heed that means that you could kill yourself just in the construction of the power supply long before its connected to the X-ray tube.

You are an admitted software engineer, not an electronics tech ... I'm not giving you these wanings just for the fun of it. This is really serious!

cheers
Dave

1. What inspired you to start your x ray photography project?

The idea for my x ray photography project came to me while I was working in a medical imaging lab. I was fascinated by the way x rays could capture the inner workings of the human body, and I wanted to explore how this technology could be used in a creative way.

2. What equipment do you use for your x ray photography?

I use a specialized x ray machine and film to capture the images, as well as a darkroom to develop the film. I also use a variety of objects and subjects, such as flowers, insects, and small household items, to create interesting and unique x ray images.

3. Have you encountered any challenges while working on your x ray photography project?

One of the main challenges I have faced is finding the right exposure and positioning for each object or subject to create a clear and visually appealing x ray image. It can also be difficult to find objects that are small enough to fit in the x ray machine and will produce interesting results.

4. What do you hope people take away from your x ray photography project?

I hope that my x ray photography project will spark curiosity and interest in the intersection of art and science. I also hope it encourages people to see the beauty in everyday objects and appreciate the intricate details and structures that are not visible to the naked eye.

5. Do you plan on expanding your x ray photography project in the future?

Yes, I am constantly experimenting with new techniques and subjects for my x ray photography project. I also hope to eventually exhibit my work in galleries and share it with a wider audience.