X-ray spectra- bremsstrahlung and characteristic x-rays

In summary, the x-ray spectrum consists of a curve representing the bremsstrahlung part and spikes representing the characteristic x-rays. These characteristic x-rays have a discrete energy, but are often represented as a peak in textbooks, implying a range of energies. This is due to uncertainty in measurement and the state of emitter. The Heisenberg Uncertainty relation also plays a role, as trying to measure the exact frequency of the characteristic emission would result in an infinite time span of measurement.
adjoint+
Hi all,

In an x-ray spectrum, the curve part represents the bremsstrahlung part, and the spikes are the characteristics x-rays. Characteristic x-rays represent a discrete energy. However, in many textbooks, I noticed that the characteristic x-rays are often represented as a peak, which implies a range of energies.

Can anyone help me understand why this is so? Am I missing something?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
adjoint+ said:
However, in many textbooks, I noticed that the characteristic x-rays are often represented as a peak, which implies a range of energies.
In any experimental measurement a wave length or frequency is a number but the intensity plot will have a spread due to uncertainty in measurement and it comes out like a peak with a small spread...this width say at half maximum is a measure of uncertainty ...as well as the state of emitter of that line ...if the source is in thermal motion the width increases .
Even in visible spectrum say Sodium doublet lines D1 and D2 you will find a width of emission lines.

Moreover if somebody tries to measure exactly the frequency i.e. the energy of the characteristic emission the Heisenberg Uncertainty relation will give an infinite width of the time span of measurement ...as uncertainty in energy and time multiplied together should be of the order of Planck's constant.

Likes geoelectronics and adjoint+
Thanks! I guess this makes sense.

1. What is X-ray spectra?

X-ray spectra refers to the range of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a material when it is exposed to high energy electrons or X-rays. This emission can be divided into two categories: bremsstrahlung and characteristic X-rays.

2. What is bremsstrahlung in X-rays?

Bremsstrahlung, also known as braking radiation, is the continuous spectrum of X-rays that is produced when high energy electrons interact with a target material. As the electrons slow down, they release energy in the form of X-rays. The energy of these X-rays can vary, resulting in a continuous spectrum.

3. What are characteristic X-rays?

Characteristic X-rays are emitted when an electron from a higher energy level drops to a lower energy level in an atom's electron shell. The energy of these X-rays is specific to the element, making them useful for identifying the elements present in a material.

4. How are bremsstrahlung and characteristic X-rays used in X-ray spectroscopy?

Bremsstrahlung and characteristic X-rays are both used in X-ray spectroscopy to analyze the composition of a material. The continuous spectrum of bremsstrahlung is used to determine the energy of the incident electrons, while the characteristic X-rays reveal which elements are present in the material.

5. What factors affect the X-ray spectra in X-ray spectroscopy?

The energy of the incident electrons, the atomic structure of the target material, and the voltage and intensity of the X-ray beam can all affect the X-ray spectra in X-ray spectroscopy. Additionally, the composition and thickness of the material being analyzed can also influence the spectra.