How Small Must a Bone Be to Detect a 5% Change in X-ray Imaging Intensity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of the smallest diameter bone in an x-ray image with a 5% change in intensity. The absorption length of the bone is given as 0.017 m and the equation I=I0e-μx is used to solve for the smallest detectable size. However, the correct answer of 1.3 mm is not achieved and there is confusion over the term "absorption length" and its definition in this context.
jdemps

Homework Statement

Imagine a 10 cm thick slab of flesh. If your x-ray imager can reliably identify a 5% change in intensity from one location to another in an image, what is the smallest diameter bone you are going to be able to make detect in your x-ray image?

Absorption length of bone: 0.017 m

Homework Equations

I=I0e-μx

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried letting 0.05=e-μx letting 0.017m be μ. The correct answer is supposed to be 1.3 mm but I can't seem to get that.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. going from 1 to 0.05 is a change of 0.95. Consider going from I = 1 to I = 0.95.
2. μx must have no dimension, otherwise you can't exponentiate it. your exponent has the wrong dimension...
3. What is the definition of absorption length in your context ? I = I0 / e or I = I0 / 2 ?

I set it up so that 0.95=e-μx trying to let μ=1/0.017 so that x could be in meters without having units in the exponent. That did not work either when trying to solve for x. There are no explanations for these practice problems and I have only ever heard the term "absorption coefficient" not absorption length, which is why I'm confused.

"Did not work either" means you found 0.017 m * ln(0.95) = 0.00087 m ?

I agree the most common maeening for absorption length is length over which I = I0 / e.

It's just because your 'right' answer corresponds to 0.017 m * 2log(0.95) that I asked for this context.

I can't think of anything else to help you with at this moment (bedtime+3h)...:frown:

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of x-ray imaging intensity and how it relates to the absorption of materials. X-ray imaging relies on the differential absorption of x-rays by different materials, with denser materials such as bones appearing more white in the image due to their higher absorption of x-rays.

To find the smallest diameter bone that can be detected in the x-ray image, we need to consider the absorption length of bone, which is given as 0.017 m in the homework statement. This means that for every 0.017 m of bone, the intensity of the x-rays passing through it will decrease by a factor of e (the natural logarithm base).

Now, let's consider the 10 cm thick slab of flesh mentioned in the homework statement. This is equivalent to 0.1 m. If we divide this by the absorption length of bone (0.017 m), we get approximately 5.88. This means that the x-ray intensity will decrease by a factor of e 5.88 times as it passes through the 10 cm thick slab of flesh.

To detect a 5% change in intensity, we need to be able to distinguish between an intensity of e-5.88 and e-5.88*0.95. This gives us a difference of approximately 0.006. This means that the smallest diameter bone that can be detected in the x-ray image will be the one that causes a 5% change in intensity, which is approximately 1.3 mm.

In summary, the smallest diameter bone that can be detected in the x-ray image is approximately 1.3 mm, considering the absorption length of bone and the ability of the x-ray imager to detect a 5% change in intensity.

What is Xray Imaging Intensity?

Xray Imaging Intensity refers to the amount of x-ray energy that is transmitted through a specific area of tissue or material during an x-ray imaging procedure.

How is Xray Imaging Intensity measured?

Xray Imaging Intensity is measured using a unit called the Gray (Gy), which is a measure of the absorbed dose of radiation. It can also be measured in terms of air kerma, which is the amount of energy deposited in a specific amount of air.

What factors can affect Xray Imaging Intensity?

The main factors that can affect Xray Imaging Intensity include the energy and type of x-rays used, the thickness and density of the tissue or material being imaged, and the distance between the x-ray source and the object being imaged.

How does Xray Imaging Intensity relate to image quality?

The intensity of the x-rays used in imaging can greatly affect the quality of the resulting image. Higher intensity x-rays can penetrate thicker tissues and provide clearer images, while lower intensity x-rays may result in poorer image quality.

Are there any safety concerns related to Xray Imaging Intensity?

Yes, high levels of Xray Imaging Intensity can increase the risk of radiation exposure to both the patient and the imaging technician. Proper safety measures, such as using lead shielding and limiting exposure time, should always be taken to minimize this risk.