Yang-Mills 3 boson Lagrangian term in Peskin and Schroeder

In summary: I teach this stuff and leading questions have been a modus operandi at PF as long as I can remember ...In summary, the starting point for equation (16.6) on page 507 is the Yang-Mills Lagrangian (16.1), which defines the field strength. However, the 3 boson vertex term in equation (16.6) is not the correct form, and must be corrected to be - \frac{gf^{abc}}{2}\left(\partial_{\kappa}A^{a}_{\lambda}-\partial_{\lambda}A^a_{\kappa}\right)A^{\kappa b}A^{\lambda c}.
Liany
Hi all,

I'm not certain if this is the correct section of the forum for this thread but I'm trying to understand ghosts and BRST symmetry and my starting point is chapter 16 of Peskin and Schroeder where I've found a nagging issue. My issue is regarding the derivation of equation (16.6) on page 507. The starting point is the Yang-Mills Lagrangian (16.1)

\begin{equation}
\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{4}F^{a}_{\mu\nu}F^{a\mu\nu}+\overline{\psi}\left(i\displaystyle{\not}{D}-m\right)\psi
\end{equation}

where we have the field strength defined as (16.2)
\begin{equation}
F_{\mu\nu}^a = \partial_{\mu}A^{a}_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu}A^a_{\mu}+gf^{abc}A^b_{\mu}A^c_{\nu}
\end{equation}

and the covariant derivative is (16.3)
\begin{equation}
D_{\mu} = \partial_{\mu} - i g A^{a}_{\mu}t^{a}
\end{equation}

where I've already dropped the r subscript on the representation matrix.

From this the book goes on to equation (16.6) for the Lagrangian, my issue is with the 3 boson vertex term which is given as
\begin{equation}
-gf^{abc}\left(\partial_{\kappa}A_{\lambda}^a\right)A^{\kappa b}A^{\lambda c}.
\end{equation}

My issue is that the 3 boson vertex term I get is
\begin{equation}
- \frac{gf^{abc}}{2}\left(\partial_{\kappa}A^{a}_{\lambda}-\partial_{\lambda}A^a_{\kappa}\right)A^{\kappa b}A^{\lambda c}.
\end{equation}

So what this boils down to is that I can't immediately see why
\begin{equation}
\left(\partial_{\kappa}A^{a}_{\lambda}-\partial_{\lambda}A^a_{\kappa}\right) = 2\left(\partial_{\kappa}A_{\lambda}^a\right).
\end{equation}

I feel I'm missing something obvious or a previously stated result/assumption but I've scoured the internet for more verbose versions of these steps and read through relevant earlier sections of the book to no avail (not to say I haven't overlooked something). Of the other texts I've checked, Srednicki's draft QFT text does the exact same as Peskin and Schroeder where as Muta's "Foundations of Quantum Chromodynamics" and Kaku's "Quantum Field Theory (A Modern Introduction)" leave it in the form I find.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there perhaps some convenient property of the structure constants ##f^{abc}## that you can use?

your eq.6 is wrong, eq.5 comes from following simple trick:

$$ f^{abc} \partial_\mu A^a_\nu A^{b\nu}A^{c\mu} = f^{abc} \partial_\nu A^a_\mu A^{b\mu}A^{c\nu} = f^{acb} \partial_\nu A^a_\mu A^{c\mu}A^{b\nu} = -f^{abc} \partial_\nu A^a_\mu A^{c\mu}A^{b\nu} $$

Orodruin said:
Is there perhaps some convenient property of the structure constants ##f^{abc}## that you can use?
It's been a while for me (a long, long while :P ), but isn't this just because [itex]f^{abc}[/itex] is antisymmetric in b and c? So,

\begin{equation}
f^{abc} \left(\partial_{\kappa}A^{a}_{\lambda}-\partial_{\lambda}A^a_{\kappa}\right)A^{\kappa b}A^{\lambda c} = \\
f^{a[bc]}\left(\partial_{\kappa}A^{a}_{\lambda}-\partial_{\lambda}A^a_{\kappa}\right)A^{\kappa b}A^{\lambda c} = \\
f^{abc} \left(\partial_{\kappa}A^{a}_{\lambda}-\partial_{\lambda}A^a_{\kappa}\right)A^{[\kappa |b|}A^{\lambda] c} = \\
2f^{abc} \left(\partial_{[\kappa}A^{a}_{\lambda]} \right)A^{\kappa b}A^{\lambda c} = \\
2f^{abc} \left(\partial_{\kappa}A^{a}_{\lambda} \right)A^{\kappa b}A^{\lambda c}
\end{equation}

You can do this because both indices b and c (and kappa and lambda) are on the same field A. (the | b| denotes that you obviously don't antisymmetrize over b in the third line)

haushofer said:
It's been a while for me (a long, long while :P ), but isn't this just because fabcfabcf^{abc} is antisymmetric in b and c?
Yes, which is the "convenient" property I wanted the OP to find and do the computation for himself, but #3 let the cat out of the box.

Orodruin said:
Yes, which is the "convenient" property I wanted the OP to find and do the computation for himself, but #3 let the cat out of the box.
Ok. I read your post like you weren't sure.

haushofer said:
Ok. I read your post like you weren't sure.
I teach this stuff and leading questions have been a modus operandi at PF as long as I can remember ...

Ok, then it's my bad.

What is the Yang-Mills 3 boson Lagrangian term in Peskin and Schroeder?

The Yang-Mills 3 boson Lagrangian term in Peskin and Schroeder is a mathematical expression used to describe the interactions between three boson particles in a quantum field theory. It is a key component of the Standard Model of particle physics.

Why is the Yang-Mills 3 boson Lagrangian term important?

This term is important because it allows for the description of the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding atomic nuclei together. It also helps to explain the behavior of other fundamental particles, such as quarks and gluons.

How is the Yang-Mills 3 boson Lagrangian term derived?

The Yang-Mills 3 boson Lagrangian term is derived from the Yang-Mills theory, which is a gauge theory that describes the interactions between particles with spin. It is based on the principle of local gauge invariance, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers.

What are the three bosons involved in the Yang-Mills 3 boson Lagrangian term?

The three bosons involved are the gluons, W and Z bosons. Gluons are responsible for the strong nuclear force, while the W and Z bosons mediate the weak nuclear force.

What are the implications of the Yang-Mills 3 boson Lagrangian term?

The Yang-Mills 3 boson Lagrangian term has important implications for our understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. It helps to unify the three non-gravitational forces (strong, weak, and electromagnetic) and provides a framework for studying particle interactions at high energies.