Year 12: Cambridge Physics Problem (Thermal System)

In summary, two cylinders A and C with equal volume V contain the same ideal gas at temperature T and at pressures 2p and p respectively. A valve connecting the two cylinders is opened slightly and the gas leaks from A to B while maintaining a pressure of 2p in A by pushing in a piston. The process is continued until the gas in cylinder B also reaches 2p. If there is good thermal contact between the cylinders but they are thermally insulated from their surroundings, the final temperature will be the same for both sides of the cylinder and the final volume of gas in cylinder A will be equal to V.
johnconnor
Two cylinders A and C of equal volume V contain the same ideal gas at temperature T and at pressures 2p and p respectively. A valve connecting the two cylinders is opened slightly and as the gas leaks from A to B, the pressure in A is maintained at 2p by pushing in a piston. The process is continued until the gas in cylinder B is also at 2p. If there is good thermal contact between the cylinders but the are thermally insulated from their surroundings, find:
(i) The final temperature in terms of T
(ii) the final volume of gas in cylinder A in terms of V.

Before I attempt the question, may I ask if the final temperature will be the same for both sides of the cylinder? What about the pressure? I'm still visualising the problem. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi johnconnor! :smile:

johnconnor said:
\
Before I attempt the question, may I ask if the final temperature will be the same for both sides of the cylinder?

At equilibrium(final state) the temperatures will definitely be equal.
What about the pressure?
johnconnor said:
pressure in A is maintained at 2p by pushing in a piston. The process is continued until the gas in cylinder B is also at 2p

:wink:

Related to Year 12: Cambridge Physics Problem (Thermal System)

1. What is the Cambridge Physics Problem for Year 12?

The Cambridge Physics Problem for Year 12 is a series of challenging questions designed to test students' understanding and application of thermal physics concepts.

2. What topics are covered in the Cambridge Physics Problem for Year 12?

The Cambridge Physics Problem for Year 12 covers topics such as thermodynamics, heat transfer, kinetic theory of gases, and thermal properties of matter.

3. How is the Cambridge Physics Problem for Year 12 different from regular physics problems?

The Cambridge Physics Problem for Year 12 is different from regular physics problems because it requires students to think critically and creatively, often combining multiple concepts to solve a single problem.

4. How can students prepare for the Cambridge Physics Problem for Year 12?

Students can prepare for the Cambridge Physics Problem for Year 12 by reviewing their notes, practicing similar problems, and familiarizing themselves with the relevant equations and principles.

5. What skills can students develop by solving the Cambridge Physics Problem for Year 12?

By solving the Cambridge Physics Problem for Year 12, students can develop skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and application of theoretical concepts to real-world scenarios.