Yet another epsilon-delta proof

• Thread starter bjgawp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary: However I'll try to post it again with the correct wording.In summary, the problem is that the absolute value of 1/x -0 is not equal to -1/x when x is negative.
bjgawp

Homework Statement

Prove that [tex]\lim_{x \to -\infty} \frac{2}{\sqrt{x^{4}+1}}=0\[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Preliminary Work
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/401/proofzr7.jpg

Before proceeding on with the proof, when we look at the last line there seems to be a logical problem. We know that [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0 and x < N < 0 . Thus, it seems counter-intuitive that x is greater than a positive expression but less than a negative. Just a guess but I think it has something to deal with the second last line involving the square root. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Are there any texts that you guys suggest for learning epsilon-delta proofs? The examples that we do in class seem to be repetitive but when it becomes more abstract and general, some ingenuinity is needed and I would like to see some of these proofs worked out. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Should move this to calculus for better results and don't expect much. Delta-epsilon proof is a confusing topic

It sure is counterintuitive. How can you say that the solution set to |x|>C is C<x<-C? Don't you mean x<-C or x>C?? E.g. imagine C=2.

How do i get from the penultimate line to a solution for x? If I proceed:
x < [tex]\sqrt[4]{\frac{2}{\epsilon^{2}}-1}[/tex] and set N to that when we give the formal proof, this would contradict one of our initial statements that N < 0 since the expression [tex]\sqrt[4]{\frac{2}{\epsilon^{2}}-1}[/tex] must be positive. So I'm not sure what the solution set of x would be.

Last edited:
Can you use what you know about x<0? So from your next to last line, say
[tex]|x| >\sqrt[4]{\frac{2}{\epsilon}-1}[/tex]
[tex]-|x|<\sqrt[4]{\frac{2}{\epsilon}-1}< |x|[/tex], but you know that x=-|x|

Okay, I obviously need to work on my tex communication skills, but hopefully you can make sense of this.

Last edited:
Call C your fourth root expression. Yes, C is positive. You want |x|>C and x negative. You want x<-C. I don't see your 'contradictions'.

Ah it's all clicked in guys. So for the formal proof I'll set N = -C.

Edit: Sorry if I need to post another thread but just a quick question about a simpler proof.
Prove that [tex]\lim_{x \to -\infty} \frac{1}{x}=0[/tex]

In the solutions manual:
For x < 0, [tex]|\frac {1}{x}-0|=- \frac{1}{x}[/tex]. If [tex]\epsilon[/tex] > 0 is given, then [tex]- \frac {1}{x}< \epsilon[/tex] which means x < [tex]- \frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex].

Take N = [tex]- \frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex]. Then,

[tex]x < N[/tex]
[tex]x < -\frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex]
[tex]|-\frac{1}{x} - 0| = -\frac{1}{x} < \epsilon[/tex]
So, [tex]\lim_{x \to -\infty} \frac{1}{x}=0[/tex]

My problem is with the initial statement claiming that [tex]|\frac {1}{x}-0|=- \frac{1}{x}[/tex]. I fail to see how this works as the absolute value of a function yields positive values, does it not? And wouldn't the proof work if we just made the condition that [tex]\frac{1}{x} < 0 < \epsilon[/tex] , implying that [tex]x < 0 < \frac{1}{\epsilon}[/tex]?

I apologize in advance if my train of thought isn't presented very clearly. Thanks again!

Again, your limit is as x approaches neg inf, so x is negative. So the absolute value |1/x -0| = -1/x is positive.

Also, since x<0, when you multiply both sides of 1/x < eps by x, the inequality flips. Does that make sense? You know that eps is positive and x is negative, so you can't say that 1/eps < x. Sorry for my lack of tex. I'm working on that.

Ah It all fell into place. Thanks a lot klile82 and Dick!

I'll definitely be back with more ... XD

Following Dick's advice and posting a new thread.

Last edited:
The statement you want to prove doesn't make much sense. Could you post it exactly as stated? And I would suggest you start another thread with a new problem. You'll get a lot more attention that way. If I see an active thread with over 5 posts, I don't generally don't even check it. Figure the issue is in the process of being beaten to death. Or that the poster is so confused no one can help.

Sure no problem. And i wrote the question wrong, sorry!

Related to Yet another epsilon-delta proof

1. What is a "yet another epsilon-delta proof"?

The epsilon-delta proof is a common method used in mathematics to prove the convergence or continuity of a function. "Yet another epsilon-delta proof" refers to a specific proof using this method.

2. How does an epsilon-delta proof work?

In an epsilon-delta proof, we start with a given limit or continuity statement and use the concepts of epsilon and delta to show that the statement holds true. We choose a small value of epsilon as our tolerance and find a corresponding value of delta that ensures that the function stays within this tolerance.

3. What are the benefits of using an epsilon-delta proof?

Epsilon-delta proofs provide a rigorous and precise way to prove limits and continuity. They also allow us to understand the behavior of a function near a specific point, which can have practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

4. What are the challenges of using an epsilon-delta proof?

Epsilon-delta proofs can be complex and require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts such as limits, continuity, and inequalities. They also involve multiple steps and can be time-consuming.

5. Can you provide an example of a "yet another epsilon-delta proof"?

Sure! Let's say we want to prove that the function f(x) = x^2 is continuous at x = 3. We choose an epsilon value of 0.1 and find a corresponding delta value of 0.05. Then, for all x within 0.05 of 3, we can show that f(x) stays within 0.1 of f(3). This proves that f(x) is continuous at x = 3 using an epsilon-delta proof.