Yo-yo pulled to stay in place

• Thread starter Karol
  • Start date
In summary: I corrected it.In summary, the conversation discusses a yo-yo's motion and the various parameters involved such as its mass, radius, and tension in the wire during descent and ascent. The equations for kinetic energy, Shteiner's theorem, moment of inertia, and torque and angular acceleration are also mentioned. The summary also includes the necessary calculations for determining the COM and angular velocities and accelerations, as well as the tension in the wire during both phases of motion. Finally, the summary addresses a question about the angular acceleration required to keep the COM in place and the necessary pace for the boy to pull the string, as well as the duration of this situation based on the string's length.
Karol

Homework Statement

Snap1.jpg
[/B] A yo-yo of mass m and radius r starts to roll from rest till it reaches the end of it's thread B.
1) What are the COM and angular velocities and accelerations at B.
2) What is the tension Td in the wire during the descend?
3) What is the tension Tu in the wire during the ascend?
4) On a time, a boy pulls the string. at what angular acceleration will the yo-yo rotate if the COM stays in place?
5) At which pace must the boy pull the string in order to keep the COM in place.
6) If the string's length is l, how long can this situation last?

Homework Equations

Kinetic energy of a solid body: ##E_k=\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2##
Shteiner's theorem: ##I_c=I_{c.o.m.}+Mr^2##
Moment of inertia of a ball round it's center: ##I_{cen}=\frac{2}{5}mr^2##
Torque and angular acceleration: ##M=I\alpha##
In accordance with motion with constant acceleration: ##\omega^2=2\dot\omega\theta##

3. The Attempt at a Solution

During descent and at B:
$$r\cdot mg=(I_c+mr^2)\dot\omega~~\rightarrow~~\dot\omega=\frac{mgr}{I_c+MR^2}$$
The center's acceleration: ##\dot y=\dot\omega r=\frac{mgr^2}{I_c+MR^2}##
The total angle m has traveled along the string's length l is ##\theta=\frac{l}{2\pi r}2\pi=\frac{l}{r}##
The angular velocity at B:
$$\omega_B^2=2\dot\omega_B\theta=\frac{2mlg}{I_c+mr^2}$$
The linear velocity: ##v_B=\omega_B\cdot r##
The tension Td during descent:
$$mg-T_d=m\dot y=mr\dot\omega~~\rightarrow~~T_d=mg\left( 1-\frac{mr^2}{I_c+mr^2} \right)$$
The tension Tu during ascend is the same since the force-acceleration equation ##mg-T_d=m\dot y## is the same.
4) In order to keep the center in place the boy must pull with a force F that equals: ##F=mg## , so the torque round the center is:
$$F\cdot r=mg\cdot r=I_c\dot\omega~~\rightarrow~~\dot\omega=\frac{mgr}{I_c}$$
5) The boy must pull the string with acceleration of ##\dot y=\dot\omega r##
6) The string's length is l and from kinematics:
$$l=\frac{1}{2}\dot\ y t^2=\frac{1}{2}\frac{mgr^2}{I_c}t^2~~\rightarrow~~t^2=\frac{2lI_c}{mgr^2}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
You quote the MoI for a ball, but yoyos are normally more cylindrical, in my experience.

You can simplify the expression for Td.

Have another think about Tu.

You've used ##\dot y## for linear acceleration. You mean ##\ddot y##, I guess. In the final line, the dot seems to have slipped off the y.

Otherwise, all looks good.

Snap1.jpg
Descending:
$$m\vec g-\vec T=m\vec a=m(\vec\alpha\times\vec r)$$
$$\rightarrow~~mg-T=m\dot\omega r~~\rightarrow~~T=mg\left[ 1-\frac{mr^2}{I_A} \right]$$
In ascending, m rotates to the other side of the string, the green disk.
The same vector formula, because ##\dot{\vec\omega}## points to the negative side of the z axis yields:
$$mg-T=-m\dot\omega r~~\rightarrow~~T=mg\left[ 1+\frac{mr^2}{I_A} \right]$$
If it's true i don't understand. the velocity doesn't appear, so only the acceleration counts. it could have been that situation (B) is the first, i mean descending and then T would be the same, greater? it seems to me that only the side of the string has changed.

Karol said:
View attachment 102396 Descending:
$$m\vec g-\vec T=m\vec a=m(\vec\alpha\times\vec r)$$
$$\rightarrow~~mg-T=m\dot\omega r~~\rightarrow~~T=mg\left[ 1-\frac{mr^2}{I_A} \right]$$
In ascending, m rotates to the other side of the string, the green disk.
The same vector formula, because ##\dot{\vec\omega}## points to the negative side of the z axis yields:
$$mg-T=-m\dot\omega r~~\rightarrow~~T=mg\left[ 1+\frac{mr^2}{I_A} \right]$$
If it's true i don't understand. the velocity doesn't appear, so only the acceleration counts. it could have been that situation (B) is the first, i mean descending and then T would be the same, greater? it seems to me that only the side of the string has changed.
My mistake, you were right the first time. The tension will be the same.
In the analysis above, both ##\vec \alpha## and ##\vec r ## change sign.

Thank you haruspex

What is the yo-yo pulled to stay in place phenomenon?

The yo-yo pulled to stay in place phenomenon, also known as the "sleeping yo-yo" or "yo-yo staying still," refers to the ability of a yo-yo to remain in a stationary position when pulled down and held by the string.

What causes the yo-yo to stay in place?

The yo-yo staying in place is a result of the yo-yo's rotational inertia. When the yo-yo is spinning, it has angular momentum, which keeps it moving in a circular path. When pulled down and held in place, the yo-yo's angular momentum allows it to continue spinning, keeping it in a stationary position.

Why do some yo-yos stay in place longer than others?

The length of time a yo-yo stays in place depends on several factors, including the yo-yo's weight, shape, string tension, and the strength and technique of the person holding the string. Heavier yo-yos with a lower center of gravity and tighter string tension tend to stay in place longer.

Can the yo-yo pulled to stay in place phenomenon be explained by physics?

Yes, the yo-yo pulled to stay in place phenomenon can be explained by the principles of rotational inertia and angular momentum in physics. These concepts describe how objects in motion tend to stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force, such as friction or air resistance.

What other factors can affect the yo-yo staying in place?

In addition to weight, shape, and string tension, other factors that can affect the yo-yo staying in place include the surface it is spinning on, the type of string used, and the amount of lubrication on the yo-yo's axle. These variables can all impact the yo-yo's rotational inertia and angular momentum, affecting how long it stays in place.