You Can Only Bring Five Albums

• Thread starter Mondayman
  • Start date
In summary, the person chose five albums that they are pretty sold on and they would bring one album from each genre.
Mondayman
Say you're going on a trip and you can only bring five albums with you. What do you bring?

I am pretty sold on my list.

Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
Powerage - AC/DC
Van Halen I - Van Halen
Appetite for Destruction - Guns n Roses

Curious as to what everybody here on PF listens to.

• Love
Likes pinball1970, DennisN and Hamiltonian
Physics news on Phys.org
Mondayman said:
Say you're going on a trip and you can only bring five albums with you. What do you bring?

I am pretty sold on my list.

Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
Powerage - AC/DC
Van Halen I - Van Halen
Appetite for Destruction - Guns n Roses

Curious as to what everybody here on PF listens to.
For me, I'd have to pick "Let It Bleed" by the Rolling Stones.
Led Zeppelin IV is good, but I think I'd have to make a custom Best of or My Favorites of Led Zeppelin.
Van Halen's eponymous album is good.
I'd have to go with Jimi Hendrix, Experience Hendrix: The Best of Jimi Hendrix (1997, well after he passed in 1970).
I'll have to think about a 5th album. Maybe The Who's Greatest Hits (The Who album), 2009.

Likes pinball1970 and Mondayman
Astronuc said:
Maybe The Who's Greatest Hits
Why not Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy?

Likes Mondayman
Vanadium 50 said:
Why not Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy?
Too early. That compilation (released 30 October 1971) is missing tracks from Who's Next, released 14 August 1971, and includes "Baba O'Riley", "Bargain", "Behind Blue Eyes", "Won't Get Fooled Again".

And then there is "Love, Reign o'er Me", subtitled "Pete's Theme" from Quadrophenia, October 1973.

Likes Mondayman and Vanadium 50
Astronuc said:
Led Zeppelin IV is good, but I think I'd have to make a custom Best of or My Favorites of Led Zeppelin.
I'd have to go with Jimi Hendrix, Experience Hendrix: The Best of Jimi Hendrix (1997, well after he passed in 1970).
I'll have to think about a 5th album. Maybe The Who's Greatest Hits (The Who album), 2009.
Let it Bleed and Get Yer Ya Yas Out were pretty close picks for me. Midnight Rambler is probably my favorite Stones tune to jam.

How about Sgt. Pepper, Surrealistic Pillow, Led Zep 1, Stand Up (Jethro Tull), and Tommy.
Alternatively: Rubber Soul, Layla, Sticky Fingers, Electric Ladyland, Animals Greatest Hits.
Does that date me?

DG Complete Beethoven edition
Phillips complete Mozart edition
Maurizio Pollini edition
Miles Davis Complete Columbia Album Collection
Stravinsky complete Edition

That's probably over a thousand CDs, ought to last a while

• Love
Likes Klystron, marcusl, jtbell and 2 others
Jazz, but not Coltrane's "A Love Supreme". I didn't understand that masterpiece :headbang:

"Revolver" by the Beatles (UK version)
"The Beatles" by the Beatles (aka "The White Album")
"Abbey Road" by the Beatles
"Crime of the Century" by Supertrramp
"Play" by Great Big Sea

George Jones said:
"Revolver" by the Beatles (UK version)
"The Beatles" by the Beatles (aka "The White Album")
"Abbey Road" by the Beatles
"Crime of the Century" by Supertrramp
"Play" by Great Big Sea
Good choices. I saw Supertramp at the Saddledome when they came to Calgary ten years ago.

It was during the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals between Boston and Vancouver and I had to skip the end of game 2. I was wearing the only Bruins jersey in the arena. Roger Hodgson comes out and says "Any hockey fans out there? Vancouver won 2-1 in overtime". The arena erupted as Vancouver went up 2-0 in the series.

Revolver - Beatles
Going for the one - Yes
Made in Japan - Deep Purple
The Dreaming - Kate Bush
Bridge over trouble water - S&G

Ask me next week and you will get different 5 probably

EDIT:
I posted without reading past the OP as I did not idea popping into my head
Nice to see some Beatles

Astronuc said:
Greatest hits not allowed surely!?

Mondayman said:
Tough question. :smile:

(1) If you mean right now, I would bring these (but it doesn't necessarily mean I think they are my favorite albums ever):

Cantoma - Out Of Town (great downtempo/ambient, I really like this record)
Chvrches - Every Open Eye (great pop music)
Noor - Covidance (cool instrumental music)
Tycho - Awake (great downtempo/ambient/chillwave)
Ulrich Schnauss - Goodbye (great indietronica/ambient)

(2) ...or if you mean it's a more desperate trip, like my last :biggrin:, I would choose something like this:

The Beatles - "White Album" (there are sooo many good songs on this one :smile:)
Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygène (one of the few albums I can listen to regardless of my mood)
Some classical compilation album (baroque period) incl. Bach, Händel, Vivaldi, Telemann
Some classical compilation album (romantic period) incl. Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart and Tchaikovsky)
The House of Love - Babe Rainbow (one of my favorite rock/pop albums ever)

Strangely enough I don't choose any harder rock music, which I also like.

Last edited:
Likes Mondayman
pinball1970 said:
Ask me next week and you will get different 5 probably
Same here, probably. :biggrin:

Two relaxing, three energizing.

Ultimate in Swing:
Arthur Prysock with Count Basie

Work of Genius:
Cartoon Theory -- Planet Geisha

Greatest Fusion Album:
Gentle Hearts -- Tour 2004

21st Century Rock :
Bandmaid -- Live (Line Cube Shibuya)
Jimmy Page is a big fan of Bandmaid. He posed for a photo with the drummer.

Great Album You Never Heard Of And Will Never Find:
Mister Laurence -- Pancake Heaven

I've got all those classic rock albums memorized so there's no need to carry them around.

Last edited:

1. What is "You Can Only Bring Five Albums?"

"You Can Only Bring Five Albums" is a hypothetical scenario where you are only allowed to bring five albums with you for the rest of your life. This exercise is often used to challenge people to think about their music preferences and the albums that hold the most value to them.

2. Why is "You Can Only Bring Five Albums" a popular topic?

This topic is popular because it forces people to make difficult decisions and reflect on their personal music tastes. It also sparks interesting conversations and debates about the importance of music in our lives.

3. Can the five albums be from any genre?

Yes, the five albums can be from any genre. It is entirely up to the individual to choose their favorite albums regardless of genre.

4. Is there a time limit for choosing the five albums?

No, there is no time limit for choosing the five albums. It is a personal exercise, so you can take as much time as you need to make your decisions.

5. Can I change my five albums at a later time?

Yes, you can change your five albums at a later time. This exercise is meant to be a thought experiment, so there are no strict rules. You can always update your list if your preferences change in the future.