You Can't Do Simple Math, So I'm Not Marrying You

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary, an Indian bride walked out of her wedding ceremony after the groom failed a simple math test. Another bride in the same country married a wedding guest after the original groom had a seizure and collapsed. These incidents are not coincidental as most marriages in India are arranged, and the second bride married a relative of her brother-in-law's family. Incest is defined by culture, and in some places, this may be considered "win-cest."
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I had to check for a second if this was April 1st. You can't make this up.

http://news.yahoo.com/groom-fails-math-test-indian-bride-walks-wedding-065433753.html

An Indian bride walked out of her wedding ceremony after the groom failed to solve a simple math problem, police said Friday.

The bride tested the groom on his math skills and when he got the sum wrong, she walked out.

The question she asked: How much is 15 plus six?

His reply: 17.

She probably didn't want to propagate his stupid genes! :)

But that's not all in that news report. This one was even a bigger eye-opener!

Last month, another bride in Uttar Pradesh married a wedding guest after the original groom had a seizure and collapsed at the wedding venue.

The groom's family had not revealed that the groom was epileptic. While the groom was rushed to a hospital in Rampur town, the bride asked one of the wedding guests to step in and married him.

Gives us all another way to look at the role of "Best Man" at a wedding, doesn't it?

:)

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes davenn and Suraj M
Physics news on Phys.org
the bride asked one of the wedding guests to step in and married him.
Nice. :oldlaugh: I would love to watch him explain that to his friends and family.

"Rampur town, the bride asked one of the wedding guests to step in and married him."
I think the guest who married her, was one the relatives of the groom/bride. It was all over the radio when it happened. We all laughed.
Is it a coincidence or are both the incidents intentionally from the same country?

What would have really been funny is if he answered 21 and she walked out because she didn't know the answer.

Likes berkeman, mfb and Suraj M
And they actually returned the gifts after the wedding was called off..:D

Suraj M said:
And they actually returned the gifts after the wedding was called off..:D
I wonder how that exchange went. :smile:

Likes Drakkith and Suraj M
Borg said:
What would have really been funny is if he answered 21 and she walked out because she didn't know the answer.
LOL! Let me check my calculator.

He be like: "Wait, don't go. I have an S500 with central heating on the seats and it includes a calculator. Will you marry me now?"

Likes Suraj M
He should have learned how to add from this

Last edited:
Likes Psinter
But he probably learned this way:

Likes Silicon Waffle
Nice to see natural selection still works.

Suraj M said:
Is it a coincidence or are both the incidents intentionally from the same country?
I don't think it is pure coincidence:
News article said:
Most marriages in India are arranged by the families of the bride and groom. Except for brief meetings, the couple rarely gets to know each other before the nuptials.

Suraj M said:
"Rampur town, the bride asked one of the wedding guests to step in and married him."
I think the guest who married her, was one the relatives of the groom/bride. It was all over the radio when it happened. We all laughed.

Wouldn't that make this a bit...incesty?

Matterwave said:
Hmm.. I just read that, she married a relative of her brother in law's family. Not necessary that he was a blood brother(relative).

Matterwave said:

Definition of incest is cultural dependent.

Matterwave said:
We call it Win-cest where I'm from in rural North Carolina :D

Cake said:
We call it Win-cest where I'm from in rural North Carolina :D
Dear lord :s

Likes Borg

1. What is the premise of "You Can't Do Simple Math, So I'm Not Marrying You"?

The premise of the phrase "You Can't Do Simple Math, So I'm Not Marrying You" is that the speaker does not want to marry someone who is not proficient in basic mathematics skills.

2. Why is simple math important in a marriage?

Simple math is important in a marriage because it is a fundamental skill that is necessary for everyday tasks such as managing finances, making purchases, and planning for the future. It also requires critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, which are crucial for a successful relationship.

3. Can someone improve their math skills if they are not good at it?

Yes, anyone can improve their math skills with practice and determination. While some people may have a natural aptitude for math, it is a skill that can be developed and honed over time with effort and perseverance.

4. Is it fair to not marry someone based on their math abilities?

This is a subjective question, as different people may have different priorities and deal-breakers in a relationship. However, it is important to have open and honest communication with a partner about important life skills, including math, and to work together to improve any areas of weakness.

5. Are there any studies that support the idea that math skills are important in a marriage?

While there may not be specific studies on the correlation between math skills and marriage success, research has shown that financial literacy and communication about money are key factors in a successful relationship. Basic math skills are necessary for managing finances and making informed financial decisions, which can greatly impact a marriage.