You can't use `\eqno' in math mode.

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter SeM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mode
In summary, the command \eqno cannot be used in math mode as it is intended for use in display equations. It sets the equation number on the right-hand side of the equation, which is not possible in inline equations. To add an equation number in math mode, the \tag command should be used instead.
SeM
Hi, this message "You can't use `\eqno' in math mode." appears frequently in a sharelatex document I am working on. How can it be fixed?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to give more details. There is probably an earlier error that is causing this problem.

It was caused by a missing } at the end of the eqn

1. Why can't I use `\eqno' in math mode?

The command `\eqno' is used to manually assign equation numbers in LaTeX. However, in math mode, equation numbers are automatically generated by the `\begin{equation}' and `\end{equation}' commands. Therefore, using `\eqno' in math mode is redundant and will result in an error.

2. Can I still label equations in math mode without using `\eqno'?

Yes, you can use the `\label' and `\ref' commands to label and reference equations in math mode. These commands work in the same way as in regular text mode.

3. What is the difference between `\eqno' and `\label' in LaTeX?

The `\eqno' command is used to manually assign equation numbers, while `\label' is used to label equations for later referencing. `\eqno' is typically used when you want to override the automatic numbering system, while `\label' is used for cross-referencing equations in the document.

4. Can I use `\eqno' in other environments besides math mode?

No, `\eqno' is specifically designed for use in math mode and will not work in any other environment. If you want to manually assign numbers to equations in other environments, you can use the `\tag' command instead.

5. How can I fix the error "You can't use `\eqno' in math mode."?

To fix this error, simply remove the `\eqno' command from your math mode environment. If you want to manually assign an equation number, use the `\tag' command instead. Otherwise, you can remove the command and let LaTeX automatically generate the equation numbers for you.