You know you've been writing essays for too long when

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Writing
In summary, the conversation discusses strange habits and thought processes that occur when heavily immersed in work. The speaker mentions trying to be brief in replies and worrying about leaving out important information. They also mention trying to find different ways to say the same thing and preferring definitive statements over "weasel words." The conversation concludes with the speaker mentioning a feeling of depression after completing a large project.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Rather than waste precious time going to the shop, you endeavor to use up anything and everything left in your cupboards and fridge. (This week I have eaten mainly toast and raw carrots.)

You actually have a hard time thinking how you will spend your days after work is completed. (I did actually catch myself thinking "What will i occupy myself with if not geophysics?")

You stop to think "how's my word-count coming along?" when writing replies on internet forums. (No really, i did do this.)

What strange habits/thought processes have you guys found yourself adopting when up to your necks in work for long periods?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mostly, I try to be brief as much as possible. Then there is the worry that I have omitted a critical piece of information or salient point.

I try to think of different ways to say the same thing - along the lines of The (behavior of the dependent variable(s)) in Figure ## shows/reveals/indicates . . . .

Creative technical writing. :zzz:

I prefer definitive statements to weasel words.

That's pretty cool...

only three words. I must be slipping.

Ah, there we go

Whenever I finish a big job or project that buries me for weeks or months - this was true in college as well - and even though I am glad to be done, there is always a big let-down and about a day or two of depression.

Related to You know you've been writing essays for too long when

What are the signs that I've been writing essays for too long?

Some common signs that you've been writing essays for too long include experiencing writer's block, feeling mentally exhausted, and starting to see the same phrases or ideas repeated in your writing.

How can I improve my essay writing skills?

To improve your essay writing skills, it's important to practice regularly and seek feedback from others. You can also read essays written by experienced writers and analyze their techniques. Additionally, make sure to plan and organize your ideas before writing, and proofread your work for errors.

Is it possible to write an essay too quickly?

Yes, writing an essay too quickly can result in a lower quality of work. It's important to take the time to plan, research, and revise your essay to ensure it is well-developed and coherent.

How can I avoid plagiarism in my essays?

To avoid plagiarism, make sure to properly cite any sources you use in your essay. This includes both direct quotes and paraphrased information. It's also important to use your own words and ideas rather than copying from other sources.

How do I know if my essay is well-written?

A well-written essay will have a clear and concise thesis statement, well-developed arguments and supporting evidence, and a logical structure. It should also be free of grammatical and spelling errors. Seeking feedback from others can also help determine if your essay is well-written.