Young physicist in seek of guidance

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with filling in their gaps in quantum field theory, specifically in regards to renormalization and Feynman diagrams. They are willing to pay for one-on-one guidance but have had difficulty finding suitable resources. The speaker is also struggling with the traditional school system's teaching methods and is looking for alternative ways to learn. Their ultimate goal is to understand the theory of everything and they plan on meeting a prominent physicist within the next year.
Ringo Hendrix
Is there anyone on here who could help me fill in my gaps in quantum field theory up to renormalization? I know how to canonically quantize a theory and how to use scalars (spin 0), vectors (spin 1) and spinors (spin 1/2) but lack more advanced knowledge like renormalization which I could describe but can’t actually mathematically perform. I know how to set up an S-matrix, and am well versed in perturbation theory. I’ve been using it since before I knew it was called that.

The suggested books aren’t really helping because I have questions and I could really use a personal, one on one (over video) guidance through Feynman diagrams and renormalization of coupling constants AT LEAST. I’d be willing to pay although I’m not very rich. Again it shouldn’t take more than 2 weeks for what I’m wanting to learn...

I’ve been able to solve Einstein’s field equations of GR since I was 14 and have been able to do canonical quantization since I was 16. I’m 19 now.

I’m planning on meeting Garrett Lisi (E8 theorist- I don’t agree with his work but I completely admire his devotion and, hey- Hawaii!) within a year and want to be a hit more competent when I do... I just don’t learn the way the school system tries to teach me. So I’m trying to find my own way into the system and this is kind of a last resort. College really isn’t an option

Physics means everything to me and it is my dream and goal in life to find the theory of everything.

Likes Demystifier and MichPod
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi @Ringo Hendrix and welcome to PF!

Ringo Hendrix said:
Is there anyone on here who could help me fill in my gaps in quantum field theory up to renormalization?

Unfortunately, this is much too broad; you are basically asking for a course in QFT. This is way beyond the scope of what PF discussion threads can provide.

Ringo Hendrix said:
The suggested books aren’t really helping

What books? Suggested by whom?

If you have specific questions about something you've found in a specific book (or peer-reviewed paper), you can certainly start a new thread here to ask about that specific thing. That's the sort of discussion PF is for, and we have plenty of members who are knowledgeable about QFT.

Ringo Hendrix said:
I could really use a personal, one on one (over video) guidance through Feynman diagrams and renormalization of coupling constants AT LEAST. I’d be willing to pay although I’m not very rich. Again it shouldn’t take more than 2 weeks for what I’m wanting to learn...

And this is even broader, and unfortunately even further beyond the scope of what PF can provide.

Ringo Hendrix said:
I just don’t learn the way the school system tries to teach me.

You are in good company, as lots of people find it difficult to learn the way the school system tries to teach. (My personal opinion is that this is because the school system's primary purpose is actually not teaching, but that's a topic for another time.)

However, there are lots of good study materials available online; for example, MIT's Open Courseware site has lecture notes, problem sets, exams, and (some of the) solutions for every course MIT offers. And there are lots of other options. Everyone learns differently, so it might take a few tries before you find materials that suit your learning style. But learning how to learn things on your own is such a vital skill that it's worth taking the time to develop it.

What is the role of a young physicist?

The role of a young physicist is to contribute to the field of physics through research, experimentation, and innovation. They are also responsible for applying their knowledge to solve real-world problems and advance our understanding of the physical world.

What steps should a young physicist take to succeed in their career?

A young physicist should focus on developing a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as gaining hands-on experience through internships and research opportunities. Networking with other scientists and staying up-to-date with current research in their field is also crucial for success.

What challenges do young physicists face in their career?

Young physicists may face challenges such as competition for funding and job opportunities, as well as the pressure to publish groundbreaking research. They may also struggle with balancing their work-life balance and maintaining mental and physical well-being.

What are some resources available for young physicists seeking guidance?

There are many resources available for young physicists, including mentorship programs, professional organizations, and conferences. Additionally, many universities offer career development services and workshops specifically for students in the field of physics.

How can a young physicist make a positive impact in the world?

A young physicist can make a positive impact by using their knowledge and skills to address important global issues, such as climate change, renewable energy, and healthcare. They can also inspire future generations through teaching and outreach activities to promote interest in science and technology.