Young's modulus — Finding the change in the length of a metal bar under stress

In summary, the equation for the force in terms of Young's modulus, the length of the bar, the change in length of the bar, and the cross sectional area is: Delta L = force over area and original length over Young's modulus.
chriscarson
Homework Statement
Finding the change in lenght
Relevant Equations
A steel bar 6.00 m long and with rectangular cross section of 5.00 cm x 2.50 cm supports a mass of 2000 kg.
How much is the bar stretched ? (the young s modulus of steel is 20 x 10 n\m squared)
A steel bar 6.00 m long and with rectangular cross section of 5.00 cm x 2.50 cm supports a mass of 2000 kg.
How much is the bar stretched ? (the young s modulus of steel is 20 x 10 n\m squared)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

You need to show your attempt at the solution before we can offer any tutorial help.

How is Young's Modulus related to the dimensions of the metal bar and how much it stretches?

Hi Thanks .

ok I will post a picture when it s done

Likes berkeman
so this is how I did it and I m sure it s wrong
81001934_793936274385087_1001791496770289664_n.jpg

chriscarson said:
Homework Statement:: Finding the change in lenght
Homework Equations:: A steel bar 6.00 m long and with rectangular cross section of 5.00 cm x 2.50 cm supports a mass of 2000 kg.

That Young's modulus value you give for steel is not right.

What is the equation for the force in terms of Young's modulus, the length of the bar, the change in length of the bar, and the cross sectional area?

Yeah that s my problem, the value of the young s modulus . the 20 x 10 have to be to the power of 10 but I can t type that right ?

sorry but I did not understand your question

At the top of the post edit window there is a toolbar with various icons. A portion of the toolbar looks as follows:

1577737045501.png
If you want to enter subscripts or superscipts the select the "..." icon:
1577737123797.png

If you want to insert special symbols such as Greek letters or other mathematical symbols, then select the ##\sqrt{x}## icon.
1577737251375.png

Better still, learn to use LaTeX syntax to write your equation!

Attachments

• 1577737240284.png
    1577737240284.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 214
Ok good

Thanks

chriscarson said:
sorry but I did not understand your question
What force, F, is required to produce an elongation ΔL in a bar length L, cross sectional area A and Young's modulus E?

Likes berkeman
The force is 2000 kg

chriscarson said:
The force is 2000 kg
That's not what I asked. Put aside all the information in post #1 and answer my question in post #10. There is a standard equation (or combination of equations) that relates those five variables. It/they should be in your course notes. If you can't find them there, g**gle.

(Anyway, the force in the question is not 2000kg. 2000kg is a mass, not a force.)

I think you mean post #9, but anyway, the equation that I know is

Delta L = force over area and original length over young modulus

Hope you understand my writing

chriscarson said:

My problem is how to work out the original length over the young modulus.

chriscarson said:

Closer, but written that way it is highly ambiguous. Please write it as an algebraic expression, using the variables I defined, and with proper use of parentheses.

81001934_793936274385087_1001791496770289664_n ds.jpg

It s that formula there , could be that it s called also an equation .

chriscarson said:
View attachment 254949

It s that formula there , could be that it s called also an equation .
Yes, that's the expression. Sorry, I hadn't looked at your post #4 before, I was only explaining the question in post #5.
Most of your work looks ok to me, and the value for Young's modulus of steel is near enough, but you seem have lost count of the leading zeroes somewhere. Instead of writing those long strings of zeroes use exponents, 10n.
And there's no point in keeping so many significant figures. Given your modulus value only has two sig figs you can truncate the weight at 20kN, etc.

Likes chriscarson
haruspex said:
Yes, that's the expression. Sorry, I hadn't looked at your post #4 before, I was only explaining the question in post #5.
Most of your work looks ok to me, and the value for Young's modulus of steel is near enough, but you seem have lost count of the leading zeroes somewhere. Instead of writing those long strings of zeroes use exponents, 10n.
And there's no point in keeping so many significant figures. Given your modulus value only has two sig figs you can truncate the weight at 20kN, etc.
So the value Y in that equation is my problem , how do you have to put it in the calculator ?

by the way , the value for the young s modulus is given in the question .

chriscarson said:
So the value Y in that equation is my problem , how do you have to put it in the calculator ?

by the way , the value for the young s modulus is given in the question .
Are you asking how you put powers of 10 into a calculator? That depends on the calculator. They usually have a 'scientific' mode. Otherwise, plug all the values in as just one digit before the decimal point and keep track separately of your powers of 10.
(That's what I did in my head when I checked your arithmetic. I did not need a calculator.)

Last edited:
Likes chriscarson
ok so that I wrote 2000 kn in the calculator was good , I will work to find where I have a mistake in the answer.or maybe you will work it also for yourself.

thanks for now you was helpful .

chriscarson said:
so that I wrote 2000 kn in the calculator was good
Eh? No, 20kN, or 20000N.

haruspex said:
Eh? No, 20kN, or 20000N.

Oh sorry yes 20000 can t do the N

Although the number is 2000 000 000 000 on my paper that I marked for you.

What is Young's modulus?

Young's modulus, also known as the elastic modulus, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It is defined as the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (change in length per unit length) within the elastic limit of a material.

How is Young's modulus calculated?

To calculate Young's modulus, the stress and strain of a material must be measured. The stress is typically applied by pulling or compressing a sample of the material, and the resulting strain is measured. Young's modulus is then calculated by dividing the stress by the strain.

What is the purpose of finding the change in length of a metal bar under stress?

Finding the change in length of a metal bar under stress allows for the determination of its Young's modulus. This information is useful in engineering and material science applications, as it helps to understand how a material will behave under different stresses and strains.

What factors can affect the change in length of a metal bar under stress?

The change in length of a metal bar under stress can be affected by factors such as the type of metal, its composition and structure, temperature, and the magnitude and direction of the applied stress. Other external factors, such as the environment and the presence of impurities, can also impact the material's behavior.

What are some real-world applications of Young's modulus?

Young's modulus is used in various industries, such as construction, aerospace, and automotive, to design and select materials that can withstand specific stresses and strains. It is also utilized in the development of medical devices, such as implants and prosthetics, to ensure their safety and effectiveness. Furthermore, Young's modulus is essential in understanding the behavior of natural materials, such as bones and tendons, and in the design of artificial materials that mimic their properties.