Young's Modulus Formula / Steel Cable

In summary: So$$\sigma=\frac{\gamma g z_0}{(500/2)*2.4*9.8(N)}\,.$$ $$\epsilon=\frac{\gamma g z_0}{(500/2)*10^{11}(N)}\,.$$ $$L=500\left(1+\frac{\gamma g z_0}{YA}\right)\left(500/2*2.4*9.8(N)+\frac{\gamma g z_0}{YA}\right)+\frac{\gamma g z_0}{YA}$$
Miguel Velasquez
A steel cable 3.00 cm 2 in cross-sectional area has a mass of
2.40 kg per meter of length. If 500 m of the cable is hung
over a vertical cliff, how much does the cable stretch under
its own weight? Take Y steel ϭ 2.00 ϫ 10 11 N/m 2 .Y=([L][/o]F)/(A*delta_L)

My attempt of solution: http://docdro.id/Fft5plu

This problem is driving me crazy, the textbook says the correct answer is 0.0490m. Can anyone tell me where i went wrong?NOTE: This problem was taken from the textbook "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with modern physics. 7h ed, page 360, problem 56"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see your work, the link is no good for me.
Here is the process:
You are given ## 2\times10^{11}\frac{N}{m^2} = \frac{500*F}{A*\Delta L }. ##
(note that area must be changed to square meters)
Rewriting to solve for Delta L:
## \Delta L = \frac{500*F}{A*(2\times10^{11}) }. ##
Force acts linearly on the cable, so it can be averaged to get
##F= 500/2 * 2.4*9.8(N).##
So
## \Delta L = \frac{500*(F)}{A*(2\times10^{11}) }. ##

Likes Miguel Velasquez
When i plug in the data into your eq. i get 0.016333333 m which is not the right answer. The link seems to works for me, can anyone else test the link i gave? Thank you Ruber for trying.

Are you using .0003 for area or .0001?

Likes Miguel Velasquez
Wow! you were right, i plugged in a wrong value, thank you RUber! Could you tell me why the force must be averaged? What i did is use F=M_tot*g=(2.4Kg/m)(500m)(9.8m/s2), but this seems to be wrong.

To get the average stress, you need to use half the weight. The local tension in the cable is $$T=\gamma gz_0$$ where z0 is the (unstretched) distance measured up from the bottom. The local stress in the cable is $$\sigma=\frac{\gamma g z_0}{A}$$. The local strain in the cable is $$\epsilon=\frac{\gamma g z_0}{YA}$$ The total stretched length of the cable is $$L=\int_0^{L_0}\left(1+\frac{\gamma g z_0}{YA}\right)dz_0$$

Likes Miguel Velasquez

What is Young's Modulus Formula?

Young's Modulus Formula is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a material, and is used to calculate the amount of stress a material can withstand before it starts to deform. It is represented by the letter "E" and is expressed in units of pressure, such as pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

What is the formula for calculating Young's Modulus?

The formula for Young's Modulus is E = (stress / strain), where stress is the force applied to a material and strain is the resulting change in length or deformation of the material. This can also be written as E = (force * length) / (area * change in length).

What is the significance of Young's Modulus in engineering and materials science?

Young's Modulus is an important factor in determining the strength and durability of a material. It helps engineers and scientists understand how materials will behave under different conditions and how much force they can withstand before breaking or deforming. It is also used to compare the properties of different materials and select the most suitable one for a particular application.

How does the Young's Modulus of steel compare to other materials?

Steel is known for its high Young's Modulus, which is one of the reasons it is commonly used in construction and engineering. Its modulus is around 200 GPa (gigapascals), which is significantly higher than materials like rubber (0.01 GPa) and wood (10 GPa). However, other materials such as carbon fiber (300 GPa) and diamond (1000 GPa) have even higher moduli.

How is Young's Modulus used in the design and testing of steel cables?

In the design and testing of steel cables, Young's Modulus is used to determine the maximum load a cable can bear before it starts to stretch and deform. This information is crucial in ensuring the safety and reliability of cables in various applications, such as bridges, suspension systems, and elevators. By knowing the Young's Modulus of steel, engineers can also determine the appropriate size and thickness of cables needed for a specific project.