How Does Young's Modulus Relate to Spring Constants in Motion Equations?

In summary: I have not been able to find a satisfactory equation that relates the two quantities.In summary, the question is asking for the equation of motion for a particle that is connected to two points by springs of different lengths. The equation of motion can be written as m \ddot{x} = \frac{\lambda}{6l_{o}}(12l_{o}-5x) where x is the displacement of the particle from A measures positive towards B .
patrickmoloney

Homework Statement

A particle mass [itex] m [/itex] moves in a straight line on a smooth horizontal table, and is connected to two points [itex] A [/itex] and [itex] B [/itex] by light elastic springs of natural lengths [itex] 2l_{o} [/itex] and [itex] 3l_{o} [/itex], respectively, and modulus of elasticity [itex] λ [/itex]. The points [itex] A [/itex] and [itex] B [/itex] are a distance [itex] 6l_{o} [/itex] apart. Show that the equation of motion can be written as [tex] m \ddot{x} = \frac{\lambda}{6l_{o}}(12l_{o}-5x) [/tex]
where [itex] x [/itex] is the displacement of the particle from [itex] A [/itex] measures positive towards [itex] B [/itex]

Homework Equations

[tex] F = kx [/tex]
[tex] \lambda = \frac{x}{l_{o}} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{F}{A} = \lambda \frac{x}{l_{o}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to do here. I understand what the question is asking but I'm not sure how to go about it. It's asking for the equation of motion so does that mean I have to relate Hooke's Law with Young's modulus? The problem I'm having is that the equation that I was trying to solve the problem with has area in it. But we are talking about springs. So that's what makes me think I need to find a relationship between spring constant and modulus equation. The [itex] (12l_{o}-5x) [/itex] part, is that from [itex] F= k(x - x_{o}) [/itex]

I've tried to relate hooke's law using this formula I read online [tex] k = \frac{\lambda A}{l} [/tex]

if you could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
A picture would be helpful. If I understand the problem, points A and B are 6L apart. Spring "A" = 2L and spring "B" = 3L, so before the problem even begins, the springs must be in an initially stretched state 2L + 3L + Xo = 6L correct? or X (initial combined stretch of the springs = L)?

Looking at the thing to be proved, λ has the dimension of force. So it is not what is properly called modulus of elasticity. Rather, it is the modulus multiplied by the cross sectional area.

The "relevant equations" seem to imply Lambda is 2 different things? The second equation implies lambda is some form of strain, the 3rd equation implies lambda is the modulus of elasticity (Young's Modulus). The solution equation implies the motion is undamped free vibration --> no velocity or damping terms are included.

1. What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus, also known as the elastic modulus, is a measure of the stiffness of a solid material. It is the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (change in shape or size) when the material is under tension or compression.

2. How is Young's Modulus calculated?

Young's Modulus is calculated by dividing the stress applied to a material by the strain experienced by the material. This can be represented by the equation E = σ/ε, where E is Young's Modulus, σ is stress, and ε is strain.

3. What is the unit of measurement for Young's Modulus?

The unit of measurement for Young's Modulus is typically pascals (Pa) in the SI system. However, it can also be expressed in other units such as gigapascals (GPa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

4. What factors affect Young's Modulus?

The main factors that affect Young's Modulus are the material's composition and structure. Materials with stronger bonds between atoms, such as metals, tend to have higher Young's Modulus values. Additionally, temperature and the presence of defects or impurities can also affect Young's Modulus.

5. Why is Young's Modulus important?

Young's Modulus is important because it allows us to predict how a material will behave under stress and how much it will deform. This information is crucial for designing and engineering structures, as well as understanding the properties and limitations of different materials.