Young's Modulus (tensile Test)

In summary, the cross sectional area is 24.63mm^2, the original diameter is 5.6mm, and the gauge length is 35.07mm. The extension length of the chosen point on the graph is 0.25mm and the force at that extension is 3500N (or 3.5KN). The equation used to solve for the Young's modulus is (F/A0)/(ΔL/L). After multiple attempts, it seems that there is a factor of 10 missing, resulting in a calculated Young's modulus of 19.9 GPa instead of the expected 199 GPa. The materials used are black mild steel and bright steel. It is possible that there is
Joe123

Homework Statement

Original Cross sectional area 24.63mm^2

original diameter 5.6mm

Gauge length 35.07mm

Extension length of the point on the graph i have chosen: 0.25mm

Force at 0.25mm extension 3500N (or 3.5KN)

Homework Equations

(F/A0)/(ΔL/L)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have gone through numerous attempts trying to solve this equation, i believe i am a factor of 10 out, as using the above equation gives me 19.9 GPa but i can't for the life of me figure out where i am missing the extra digit.

The materials are black mild steel and bright steel.

I've uploaded the graph in case I've stated anything wrong, looking at the first 3 specimens. (second graph is irrelevant)

Attachments

• Tensile Lab 1230 4th May 12.doc
    50 KB · Views: 268
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Joe welcome to PF!

Looks like yes, you are off by a factor of 10, so either your gauge length should be 350 mm or the extension is .025 mm. Perhaps the problem is mistyped.

Related to Young's Modulus (tensile Test)

1. What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus, also known as the elastic modulus or tensile modulus, is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a material. It is the ratio of stress to strain in a material under tension.

2. How is Young's Modulus tested?

Young's Modulus is typically tested using a tensile test, where a sample of the material is subjected to tension until it reaches its breaking point. The amount of force needed to stretch the material is then measured and used to calculate the modulus.

3. What is the significance of Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus is an important property of materials, as it helps determine their resistance to deformation under stress. It is also used to compare the stiffness of different materials and can be used in the design of structures and products.

4. What factors can affect Young's Modulus?

The main factors that can affect Young's Modulus include the type of material, its composition and structure, temperature, and the presence of any defects or impurities.

5. How is Young's Modulus related to other mechanical properties?

Young's Modulus is related to other mechanical properties such as shear modulus, bulk modulus, and Poisson's ratio. It is also used in conjunction with other properties, such as yield strength and ultimate tensile strength, to fully characterize the behavior of a material under tension.