Your advice to first-year PhD students

In summary, when giving advice to a first-year PhD student in physics, it is important to prioritize staying sane and avoiding working outside of the institute. It is also recommended to take time in choosing a supervisor and project, and to explicitly define expectations with the supervisor. Maintaining balance in life and having a solid plan B in case academia doesn't work out are also important considerations. Other tips include starting to write up projects early and reading extensively.
annaphys
What advice would you give a first-year PhD student in physics?

Another question: If you could go back and do your PhD again, what would you do differently/better?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stay sane. If possible, don't work outside the institute. Being a TA is fine, but working for another entity AND doing PhD studies at the same time is asking for trouble.

Likes vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
annaphys said:
Why is it "asking for trouble" especially if this entity could help your PhD? E.g. software dev or electrical engineering internships.
Indeed. Let me rephrase it to "avoid working a job not related to your research". E.g hospitality, transport and what have you. Reason is, if your attention is divided, then it's likely your progress in research is slower.

There are people that can work a job and stay on top of their phd work, but those are rare cases.

Likes vanhees71, fresh_42 and symbolipoint
  • Take your time in choosing a supervisor. Get to know the options you have first and to the best of your ability, try to find someone whose mentoring style matches up with your learning style.
  • Take your time in choosing a project. Get to know the options you have first and to the best of your ability, try to find one that you're both passionate about and will develop the skills that you want get out of your PhD.
  • Explicitly define expectations with your supervisor. How often will you meet? What hours are you expected to keep? How autonomous are you expected to be? Make sure you have similar timelines and project milestones.
  • Make sure you find balance in your life. Sleep. Eat properly. Exercise. Socialize. Take vacations and incorporate down time into your schedule. Working through a PhD takes years. There's no point in putting the rest of your life on hold for that time.
  • Start writing up your project(s) as if you're writing a paper(s), early.
  • Read. A lot.
  • Develop a solid plan B if academia doesn't work out. If you get through your PhD and need to enter the commercial world, what is that going to look like? How will you market yourself? What skills will you want to have?

Likes member 428835, annaphys and gleem
drmalawi said:
You did ask for

And I replied to this. I did not advice you do to this. I wrote "I would" twice, I did not write "I advice you and everybody else to do this". If you ask questions, be prepared to get replies - even if you do not like or agree with them. If you are not interested in what we would have done differently, then don't ask the question.

Its not about time, it is about divided attention - nuuskur wrote something in a smiliar fashion.

That is why gym was the optimal for me, it was physical and social and I had no appointment to worry about etc
Ah ok I gotcha. It wasn't clear what question you were answering. And @simphys bud just doing those two things doesn't sound to be on top of one's game. Having a balance in life is being on top of one's game. I know enough PhD students who do something similar and are miserable and depressed. Gotta do more than just PhD and gym.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grad school is academically a continuation of college but up a notch. What worked in college should suffice for grad school. However, grad school is a research oriented degree so follow the advice of @Choppy.

From my own experience, Choppy's advice about choosing an advisor and project is key to success in a reasonable time. Make sure that you establish and can maintain good communication with your advisor. If you have any misgiving about your advisor, project, or area of research act quickly to resolve it. You must be able to maintain enthusiasm throughout the program.

Choppy said:
  • Take your time in choosing a supervisor. Get to know the options you have first and to the best of your ability, try to find someone whose mentoring style matches up with your learning style.
  • Take your time in choosing a project. Get to know the options you have first and to the best of your ability, try to find one that you're both passionate about and will develop the skills that you want get out of your PhD.
  • Explicitly define expectations with your supervisor. How often will you meet? What hours are you expected to keep? How autonomous are you expected to be? Make sure you have similar timelines and project milestones.
  • Make sure you find balance in your life. Sleep. Eat properly. Exercise. Socialize. Take vacations and incorporate down time into your schedule. Working through a PhD takes years. There's no point in putting the rest of your life on hold for that time.
  • Start writing up your project(s) as if you're writing a paper(s), early.
  • Read. A lot.
  • Develop a solid plan B if academia doesn't work out. If you get through your PhD and need to enter the commercial world, what is that going to look like? How will you market yourself? What skills will you want to have?
Thanks for the advice. What in particular do you mean by read a lot? Read science papers in subfields most importantly in the field of study or do you mean just in general?

annaphys said:
Thanks for the advice. What in particular do you mean by read a lot? Read science papers in subfields most importantly in the field of study or do you mean just in general?
A little of both really.

You need to read as much as you can in your subfield (which is another reason to make sure that it's one you have a passion for). I've seen students who read precisely what they are assigned and not a word more, and students who read voraciously in their field. The latter tend to be more successful in the long run.

You also have to avoid developing too narrow of a focus, and so it's important to read in other areas too. New ideas often come from applying something that's being applied to a different problem to one in your own subfield. This is often where review articles are helpful.

It's also important to read the "editors' picks" and top papers of the year, not just because the science is great, but because those will help you to develop a feel for what referees and editors are looking for when it's time to develop your own work.

The biggest problem of course is that you can never read "enough." At some point you need to start making choices. Your supervisor is usually your best resource in guiding your focus, particularly in the beginning.

Likes vanhees71 and symbolipoint
Choppy said:
The biggest problem of course is that you can never read "enough." At some point you need to start making choices. Your supervisor is usually your best resource in guiding your focus, particularly in the beginning.
This is an understatement.* The period before the qualifying exam along with courses and prep for the exam will occupy much of your time. If in addition you are an experimentalist and decide to work with a group that uses very specialized equipment or has ongoing equipment development or shares equipment with other groups you will be pressured to give a "hand" in the lab. With regard shared equipment senior students have priority in general and time may be at a premium so be fully prepared to make efficient use of the time allotted to you. Other duties may include taking data for more senior students, or equipment maintenance. Be sure to volunteer or contribute as much as you can.

* Be careful about projects that use equipment or resources that are not at least somewhat under your control you may have more time than you expected to read.

Likes Choppy
Thread locked temporarily for Moderation...

• Wow
Likes Delta2
Due to a number of issues, the OP is no longer with us. Thread will remain closed; have a nice day. :smile:

• Wow
Likes Delta2

1. What advice do you have for first-year PhD students?

My advice for first-year PhD students is to prioritize time management, establish a support system, stay organized, seek mentorship, and maintain a healthy work-life balance.

2. How can I manage my time effectively as a first-year PhD student?

To manage your time effectively, create a schedule or to-do list, prioritize tasks, and avoid procrastination. It may also be helpful to break down large projects into smaller, manageable tasks.

3. How important is it to establish a support system as a first-year PhD student?

Establishing a support system is crucial for success as a first-year PhD student. This can include fellow students, professors, advisors, and family and friends who can provide emotional support, academic guidance, and networking opportunities.

4. What are some tips for staying organized during the first year of a PhD program?

To stay organized, use a planner or calendar to keep track of deadlines and appointments, create a filing system for important documents, and regularly clean and declutter your workspace. It may also be helpful to use productivity tools or apps to stay on top of tasks and deadlines.

5. How can I maintain a healthy work-life balance as a first-year PhD student?

Maintaining a healthy work-life balance is essential for avoiding burnout and staying motivated. Set boundaries for work hours, make time for hobbies and self-care activities, and don't be afraid to ask for help or take breaks when needed.