Your thoughts on the Lord of the Rings series

In summary: When I watched the film I was badly disappointed because the Guardian did a press release and said the film was accurate to the book. Like the 1978 cartoon it missed out Tom Bombadil, a chapter I struggled with initially, it seemed a little trippy compared to the previous chapters. I missed the significance of parts of the chapter. Frustratingly they also put Legolas in the place of Glorfindel in the race from the Nazgul. The worst part was all that stuff with Arwen. Anyway the film series is still great. One has to forget the books to enjoy it properly.Don't tell me you can also converse in Klingon?
pinball1970
Gold Member
A conversation on "great one liners from pf members" prompted me to start this thread.

How were you introduced to the books?
What impact did the books have on you? what age?
What is special about them?
How do they stand against other works of 20thC literature?

and....what did you think of the film?

The Silmarillion is included if you went there as are his Letters.

For me they are unparalleled, although plenty of attempts have been made to emulate them.

Science news on Phys.org
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

(Kung Fu Monkey -- Ephemera, blog post, March 19, 2009])

Was seriously obsessed, read the series every few years from 4th grade until the movies came out. Liked the movies, but not the bloated The Hobbit trilogy

• Haha
Likes Klystron, hutchphd, russ_watters and 4 others
BWV said:
Was seriously obsessed, read the series every few years from 4th grade until the movies came out. Liked the movies, but not the bloated The Hobbit trilogy
I tried the Hobbit when I was 11 and found it too childish and silly. Luckily I became friends with a guy in secondary school who practically ordered me to read it.
Then it was LOTR.
I became lost with the geography because my book from the library did not have a map, hard to keep track!
Lord knows how many times I read it between 1980 and Uni.
Obsessed is a great word!
Magical is another.
I owned a lot of copies that got beat up over the years and I gave my son my last remaining readable copy.
Not read it for a long time, getting a copy this weekend from Waterstones.

Introduced to them at the tender age of 16. Loved them. Learned to read and write Elvish (Common. High Elvish was much harder.) Can still read Elvish today.

Reread them every couple of decades.

I found the movies to be everything they needed to be to meet the high standards of the books.

Still pretty much the only High Fantasy (i.e. swords and sorcery) I'm interested in. (In general, Fantasy is too loosey-goosey for me; give me the constraining physics of sci-fi any day).

(Want to feel old? A young colleague of mine: "What? The movies were adapted from a book?? I thought they were just movies...")

• Wow
Likes BillTre, russ_watters and pinball1970
DaveC426913 said:
Introduced to them at the tender age of 16. Loved them. Learned to read and write Elvish (Common. High Elvish was much harder.) Can still read Elvish today
Impressive. The only Elvish word I know is "melon."
Without checking.
I realised I could name all the chapters in order at one point, probably when I should have been knuckling down studying!

When I watched the film I was badly disappointed because the Guardian did a press release and said the film was accurate to the book.
Like the 1978 cartoon it missed out Tom Bombadil, a chapter I struggled with initially, it seemed a little trippy compared to the previous chapters. I missed the significance of parts of the chapter.
Frustratingly they also put Legolas in the place of Glorfindel in the race from the Nazgul.
The worst part was all that stuff with Arwen. Anyway the film series is still great. One has to forget the books to enjoy it properly.

DaveC426913 said:
Introduced to them at the tender age of 16. Loved them. Learned to read and write Elvish (Common. High Elvish was much harder.) Can still read Elvish today.
Don't tell me you can also converse in Klingon?

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
A conversation on "great one liners from pf members" prompted me to start this thread.

The Silmarillion is included if you went there as are his Letters.

For me they are unparalleled, although plenty of attempts have been made to emulate them.
I first saw the book at an arts summer camp in 1965. It didn't have any special impact. I read lots of books.

Excellent in many ways. His mastery of language is the most outstanding. He creates a very strong mediaeval atmosphere.

Of the over a thousand books I've read, it's one of only about three that I've ever read twice. I got more out of it the second time.

The whole thing is based on the Nibelungen ring saga. Barad Dur is Borobodur in Java. Tom Bombadil is The Green Man.

The movie was OK. I only watch movies during airplane journeys and even then avoid Hollywood.

Likes pinball1970
Hornbein said:
The whole thing is based on the Nibelungen ring saga. Barad Dur is Borobodur in Java. Tom Bombadil is The Green Man.
Never heard that, he said Elvish was based on Welsh (I think)
People and places feature from Birmingham and also from WW1 trenches (the dead marshes)
I love his writing not because it was wonderfully creative and unparalleled in terms of interweaving plot, complex politics, characters, millennium plus history, language and culture, (all true)
His ability to build up and create a feeling of suspense and dread but also relief, joy and celebration I have never read since.
The films did not capture that, not enough anyway.

PeroK said:
I cannot. But my friend can.

• Wow
Likes BillTre, pinball1970 and PeroK
Got a hundred or so pages in in sixth grade and moved on to a different book. Fantasy isn't generally my thing.

The original trilogy was quite good and I enjoyed it. The Hobbit trilogy was garbage in my opinion. Basically just a bunch of CGI and predictable dialog and plot. No suspense. Acting was meh.

Likes gmax137 and pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
People and places feature from Birmingham and also from WW1 trenches (the dead marshes)
I love his writing not because it was wonderfully creative and unparalleled in terms of interweaving plot, complex politics, characters, millennium plus history, language and culture, (all true)
His ability to build up and create a feeling of suspense and dread but also relief, joy and celebration I have never read since.
High Elvish was inspired by Finnish. There are even a few words that are the almost the same and a couple that are the same:
Quenya/Finnish - meaning
Anta/antaa - give
et/et-een - forth, out
kul/kulta - gold
lap,lapse/lapsi - child
rauta/rauta - metal
ruska/ruska,ruskea - brown
tie/tie - path
tul/tulla - come
pan/panna - place(set)

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
Janus said:
High Elvish was inspired by Finnish. There are even a few words that are the almost the same and a couple that are the same:
Quenya/Finnish - meaning
Anta/antaa - give
et/et-een - forth, out
kul/kulta - gold
lap,lapse/lapsi - child
rauta/rauta - metal
ruska/ruska,ruskea - brown
tie/tie - path
tul/tulla - come
pan/panna - place(set)
His letters were hard going from memory, 1990s. I'll check sources and feedback.
Did you like the books?

Mondayman said:
Got a hundred or so pages in in sixth grade and moved on to a different book. Fantasy isn't generally my thing.

The original trilogy was quite good and I enjoyed it. The Hobbit trilogy was garbage in my opinion. Basically just a bunch of CGI and predictable dialog and plot. No suspense. Acting was meh.
Still not seen the Hobbit films. Just parts of the first.

Harvard Lampoon "Bored of the Rings" sort of took the wonder out of it for me. But then again who can forget Goodgulf the wizard and the dreaded Narcs from the hills.

• Haha
Likes sbrothy and pinball1970
pinball1970 said:

1. My neighbor of the same age as me handed me The Hobbit and told me to read it.

2. I was about 15 years old. It had a big impact on me, it introduced me to fantasy literature and soon afterwards I read The Lord of the Rings too, of course. That same friend also recommended Watership Down, which I also loved (the story about rabbits, with some flavors of fantasy too).

3. Well... what is not special about them? :)
The work of Tolkien is pretty much unique (at least at first, now there are loads of fantasy literature).

Tolkien wasn't the very first fantasy author, but his immense talent for in-depth world building, race (elf, dwarf etc.) building, language building etc. along with compelling storytelling made a huge impact on our culture and propelled the fantasy genre into widespread popularity in a modern age.

4. Pretty good, I think. And as I said above, Tolkien was pretty unique, and hugely influential.

5. I liked the films. My favorite is the first one. I thought there was an extra touch of wonder and fairy tale magic to the first film. I rank it as a 5++ on a scale from 1 to 5.

• Love
Likes pinball1970
Thoughts?

How do we know that Sauron was evil? We actually see very little of him. We have only Gandalf's word - and he's hardly a disinterested party - for it. Sure, Sauron lived in Mordor - but does living in a slum make you evil? In fact, he tried to move to an upscale neighborhood, Dol Guldur. Adn who chased him out? Gandalf.

Who are the good guys here? And are you sure?

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Likes DennisN, pinball1970 and BillTre
Saruman's project of uplifting the wretched was quashed by reactionary racist violence.
For more hot takes tune in to Middle Earth Tonight with Grima Wormtongue at eleven.

• Haha
Likes DennisN, pinball1970, Mondayman and 2 others
pinball1970 said:
Birmingham! Do tell us more.

And why did Aragon get to be the King of Men? He's descended from elves. He married an elf. Should not Men follow their own destiny, out from the thumb of the elves? And who decides?

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses!

Not sure why everyone's down on the Hobbit Trilogy. Is it by comparison to the book?

I mean, were the three films in-and-of-themselves bad?

hutchphd said:
Harvard Lampoon "Bored of the Rings" sort of took the wonder out of it for me. But then again who can forget Goodgulf the wizard and the dreaded Narcs from the hills.
Yes. Oh my God. One of the funniest things I had ever read in my then short and tender life.

Can't even write Bilbo's name here without it getting censored.

I first read LotR in translation. Hobbit and Silmarilion too. That they were all lovely in their slightly different ways goes without saying.
At some point a new edition of LotR came out, helmed by a different translator who had somewhat radical ideas on how to improve on the predecessor (and boy, do some translators have ideas).
The geeks nearly rioted in the streets over the new renditions of 'dwarves', 'Strider', or Frodo's surname. For a good few years after one could earn a hefty amount of brownie points in the nerdsphere by loudly espousing the perceived superiority of one over the other.
I got to reading the original much later, and found the writing very... quaint. Stuffy and overwrought with linguistic flair. With not much care given to being the easy read I remembered.

• Informative
Likes DennisN, pinball1970, Klystron and 1 other person
Bandersnatch said:
I first read LotR in translation. Hobbit and Silmarilion too. That they were all lovely in their slightly different ways goes without saying.
At some point a new edition of LotR came out, helmed by a different translator who had somewhat radical ideas on how to improve on the predecessor (and boy, do some translators have ideas).
The geeks nearly rioted in the streets over the new renditions of 'dwarves', 'Strider', or Frodo's surname. For a good few years after one could earn a hefty amount of brownie points in the nerdsphere by loudly espousing the perceived superiority of one over the other.
I got to reading the original much later, and found the writing very... quaint. Stuffy and overwrought with linguistic flair. With not much care given to being the easy read I remembered.
What? Interpreting LoTR? That's gotta be blasphemy.
What language did you first read it in?

Polish.

Vanadium 50 said:
And why did Aragon get to be the King of Men? He's descended from elves. He married an elf. Should not Men follow their own destiny, out from the thumb of the elves? And who decides?

If strange women distributing swords can in fact be a basis for a system of government, then why squint at a homeless man with a dodgy past disturbing a graveyard?

DaveC426913 said:
What? Interpreting LoTR? That's gotta be blasphemy.
What language did you first read it in?
Need to read it in the original Elvish version

• Haha
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
DaveC426913 said:
Some may disagree. Some people are entertained by CGI fight scenes. I've seen far worse movies for sure.

I found it to be bland and predictable. You just know what's going to happen next. The acting wasn't good from what I remember. And it was just so long to sit through.

DaveC426913 said:
Not sure why everyone's down on the Hobbit Trilogy. Is it by comparison to the book?

watchable, but not up to the standard of LOTR. Too much non-Tolkien filler material. Also ridiculously unbelievable CGI stunts (not that this was not also an issue with LOTR)

Likes pinball1970
PeroK said:
My late mother and sister conversed in Klingon, spending enjoyable hours at my home town's StarTrek Experience, close to a favorite hotel. Klingons know how to party. entertain visitors.My first Tolkien age twelve, a new paperback titled "The Hobbitt: or Here...". I enjoyed Tolkiens writing style and tragic characters. Frodo button wearers, frantic LOTR fans, and literary references sufficed for me to follow T's essential storyline until watching the films, not to mention series inspired by his work.

Andy Serkis brings Gollum off the page, galloping and sneaking through several revisions. What appear to be hobbit detriments, such as small posture and large appetites, emerge as strengths on the road. The Hobbit movie series held true to carefully crafted characters even as the material journeyed far from its source.

pinball1970 said:
His letters were hard going from memory, 1990s. I'll check sources and feedback.
Did you like the books?
From the wiki page on Quenya
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quenya

Tolkien took an interest in the Finnish mythology of the Kalevala, then became acquainted with Finnish, which he found to provide an aesthetically pleasing inspiration for his High-elven language. Many years later, he wrote: "It was like discovering a complete wine-cellar filled with bottles of an amazing wine of a kind and flavour never tasted before. It quite intoxicated me."[T 2] Regarding the inspiration for Quenya, Tolkien wrote that:
The ingredients in Quenya are various, but worked out into a self-consistent character not precisely like any language that I know. Finnish, which I came across when I had first begun to construct a 'mythology' was a dominant influence, but that has been much reduced [now in late Quenya]. It survives in some features: such as the absence of any consonant combinations initially, the absence of the voiced stops b, d, g (except in mb, nd, ng, ld, rd, which are favoured) and the fondness for the ending -inen, -ainen, -oinen, also in some points of grammar, such as the inflexional endings -sse (rest at or in), -nna (movement to, towards), and -llo (movement from); the personal possessives are also expressed by suffixes; there is no gender.[T 3]

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
hutchphd said:
Its only a little book isnt it? I thought it was funny. Great title.

Vanadium 50 said:
Because he is Aragorn son of Arathorn, also called Elessar the Elfstone, Dunadan. The heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. He holds the Sword that was Broken and is forged again.

Vanadium 50 said:
.....not from some farcical aquatic ceremony

pinball1970 said:
I tried the Hobbit when I was 11 and found it too childish and silly.
I can't recall when I got the chance to read it, but it was after both LOTR and Silmarillion.
Did not made an impact. I don't think I could finish it. I can't even recall if I did or not.

What I found funny about Silmarillion was that with all that compressed and dry storytelling the whole LOTR books got done in a few sentences.

Likes pinball1970
Vanadium 50 said:

Foolish men! Bereft of the succor of Aragon Minas Tirith falls before the might of Sauron. Do you pine for a taste of that kettle o' fish?

Last edited: