Z-Component of Angular Momentum.

In summary, the state of a particle is described by a wave function that can be written in terms of spherical harmonics. From this, we can determine the possible values and probabilities for the z-component of the angular momentum, as well as the expectation value for this component. Taking the complex conjugate and using the known probabilities, we can find that the expectation value is equal to 2/3 of the reduced Planck's constant. Alternatively, solving the integral over the spherical harmonics yields a slightly different value, possibly due to a normalization error in the original wave function.
FLms

Homework Statement

A particle is in a state described by the wave function:

[tex]\Psi = \frac{1}{\sqrt{4}}(e^{i\phi} sin \theta + cos \theta) g(r)[/tex],

where

[tex]\int\limits_0^\infty dr r^{2} |g(r)|^{2} = 1[/tex]

and [itex]\phi[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] are the azimuth and polar angle, respectively.

OBS: The first spherical harmonics are:

[itex]Y_{0,0} = \frac{1}{sqrt{4 \pi}[/itex], [itex]Y_{1,0} = \frac{sqrt{3}}{sqrt{4 \pi} cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]Y_{1,\pm1} = \mp \frac{sqrt{3}}{sqrt{8 \pi}} e^{\pm i \phi} sin \theta[/itex]

a - What are the possibles results of a measurement of the z-componet [itex]L_{z}[/itex] of the angular momentum of the particle in this state?
b - What is the probability of obtaining each of the possible results of part (a)?
c - What is the expectation value of [itex]L_{z}[/itex]?

Homework Equations

[tex]L_{z} = -i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}[/tex]

[tex]L_{z} \Psi = m_{l} \hbar \Psi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I start by writing the wavefunction in terms of the spherical harmonics.

[tex]\Psi = (- \frac{\sqrt{2}{\sqrt{3}}} Y_{1,1} + \frac{1}{sqrt{3} Y_{1,0}) g(r)[/tex]

So, the possibles values for [itex]m_{l}[/itex] are [itex]0[/itex] and [itex]1[/itex]; and [itex]l_{z} = 0\hbar[/itex] and [itex]l_{z} = 1 \hbar[/itex]

Thus, the probabilities should be [itex]P = \frac{2}{3}[/itex] for [itex]l_{z} = 1 \hbar[/itex] and [itex]P = 1/3[/itex] for [itex]l_{z} = 0 \hbar[/itex].

For the expectation value, I should evaluate the integral:

[tex]<L_{z}> = \int \Psi L_{z} \Psi \,d^{3}r = \int \Psi \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial \phi} \,d^{3}r[/tex]

[tex]<L_{z}> = \frac{2}{3} \int Y_{1,1} (-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}) Y_{1,1} \,d^{3}r + \frac{1}{3} \int Y_{1,0} (-i \hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}) Y_{1,0} \,d^{3}r[/tex]

The Y_{1,0} does not depend on the azimuth angle, so:

[tex]<L_{z}> = \frac{2}{3} \int Y_{1,1} (-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi}) Y_{1,1} \,d^{3}r[/tex]

[tex]<L_{z}> = \frac{2}{3} \hbar \int_0^\pi sin^{2} \theta \,d\theta \int_0^{2 \pi} e^{2 i \phi} \,d\phi[/tex]

However, the result of this integral is zero.

Is that right or am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
FLms said:
For the expectation value, I should evaluate the integral:

[tex]<L_{z}> = \int \Psi L_{z} \Psi \,d^{3}r = \int \Psi \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial \phi} \,d^{3}r[/tex]

Did you forget to take the complex conjugate somewhere?

You can get the answer for ##<L_{z}>## without doing these integrations by just using the probabilities that you have found.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
Did you forget to take the complex conjugate somewhere?

Yes. The integral is actually:[tex]\int \Psi^{*} L_{z} \Psi \,d^{3}r = -i \hbar \int \Psi^{*} \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial \phi} \,d^{3}r[/tex]

And,

[tex]Y_{l,m}^{*} = (-1)^{m}Y_{l,-m}[/tex]

TSny said:
You can get the answer for ##<L_{z}>## without doing these integrations by just using the probabilities that you have found.

[tex]<L_{z}> = P_{m_{l} = 1} (m_{l} \hbar) + P_{m_{l} = -1} (m_{l} \hbar)[/tex]
[tex]<L_{z}> = \frac{2}{3}(1 \hbar) + \frac{1}{3} (0 \hbar)[/tex]
[tex]<L_{z}> = \frac{2}{3} \hbar[/tex]

Is that it?

By solvind the integral, I get [itex]<L_{z}> = \frac{2}{3} \pi^{2} \hbar[/itex].

Last edited:
FLms said:
[tex]<L_{z}> = P_{m_{l} = 1} (m_{l} \hbar) + P_{m_{l} = -1} (m_{l} \hbar)[/tex]
[tex]<L_{z}> = \frac{2}{3}(1 \hbar) + \frac{1}{3} (0 \hbar)[/tex]
[tex]<L_{z}> = \frac{2}{3} \hbar[/tex]

Is that it?
Yes. (Maybe a typographical error in your first line.)

By solvind the integral, I get [itex]<L_{z}> = \frac{2}{3} \pi^{2} \hbar[/itex].

It seems to come out ok for me. I don't think your original wave function ##\Psi## is normalized.
(Your integrals over the spherical harmonics should not have ##d^3r## since you have presumably already integrated over ##r##.)

Your calculations and approach seem correct. The expectation value of the z-component of angular momentum should indeed be zero, as the wavefunction is symmetric under rotations about the z-axis. This means that the particle has an equal probability of being found at any value of l_{z} = 0 or l_{z} = 1 \hbar, resulting in an average value of zero. This is also supported by the fact that the probabilities for these two values are equal.

Related to Z-Component of Angular Momentum.

1. What is the Z-component of angular momentum?

The Z-component of angular momentum is a measure of the rotational momentum of an object around its Z-axis. It is a vector quantity and is defined as the product of the moment of inertia and angular velocity about the Z-axis.

2. How is the Z-component of angular momentum calculated?

The Z-component of angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (I) with the angular velocity (ω) about the Z-axis. The equation is Lz = I * ω.

3. What is the significance of the Z-component of angular momentum?

The Z-component of angular momentum is an important quantity in physics as it describes the rotational motion of an object around its Z-axis. It is also conserved in a closed system, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

4. How is the Z-component of angular momentum related to other components of angular momentum?

The Z-component of angular momentum is one of three components of angular momentum, with the other two being the X and Y-components. Together, they make up the total angular momentum of an object. Thus, the Z-component is related to the other components through vector addition.

5. Can the Z-component of angular momentum be negative?

Yes, the Z-component of angular momentum can be negative. This indicates that the rotational motion is in the opposite direction of the Z-axis. This is often seen in systems with a net torque causing the object to rotate in the opposite direction.