Zee QFT problem I.4.1: inverse square laws in (D+1)-dimensions

In summary: We can now use the technique of contour integration to evaluate this series. By choosing an appropriate contour, we can show that the integral is equal to the sum of all residues at the poles of the integrand (which in this case are at k=\pm im).In summary, the integral in 2+1 dimensions can be evaluated using the techniques of integration by parts and contour integration. As for arbitrary D+1 dimensions, more advanced techniques such as dimensional regularization may be needed. Thank you for the interesting discussion.
Mirod
Homework Statement
Calculate the analog of the inverse square law in a (2 + 1)-dimensional universe, and more generally in a (D + 1)-dimensional universe.
Relevant Equations
The potential energy of two sources of a free scalar field:

[tex] E = - \int \frac{d \vec k}{(2 \pi)^D} \frac{e^{{\vec k} \cdot {\vec r}}}{{\vec k}^2 + m^2} [/tex]
I tried to do it for 2+1 D (3+1 is done in the text, by writing the integral in spherical coordinates and computing it directly). In 2+1 D I wrote it as:
[tex]
E = - \int \frac{d^2 k}{ (2\pi)^2 } \frac{e^{kr cos\theta}}{k^2 + m^2}
= - \int_0^{\infty} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{d k d\theta}{ (2\pi)^2 } \frac{k e^{kr cos\theta}}{k^2 + m^2}
[/tex]

The integral over [tex] \theta [/tex] is a Bessel function:
[tex]
\int_0^{2\pi} d \theta e^{kr cos\theta} = 2\pi I_0 (ikr)
[/tex]

Thus:
[tex]
E = - \int_0^{\infty} \frac{d k }{ 2\pi} \frac{k I_0 (ikr)}{k^2 + m^2}
[/tex]
I got stuck here, as I have no idea if this integral is doable (looking at the properties of the Bessel functions it doesn't seem doable). Regarding arbitrary D+1 dimensions, I have no idea where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your approach to solving the integral in 2+1 dimensions. It is always interesting to see different methods and perspectives in scientific research.

In response to your question about whether the integral is doable, I would like to offer some insights. While the integral may seem daunting at first glance, there are actually some techniques that can be used to evaluate it.

Firstly, let's look at the integral in the form:

E = - \int_0^{\infty} \frac{d k }{ 2\pi} \frac{k I_0 (ikr)}{k^2 + m^2}

We can see that the integrand is a product of two functions, namely k and the Bessel function I_0 (ikr). This form suggests that we can use the technique of integration by parts to evaluate the integral.

Integration by parts states that for two functions f(x) and g(x), the integral of their product can be expressed as:

\int_a^b f(x)g(x)dx = [f(x)G(x)]_a^b - \int_a^b G(x)f'(x)dx

where G(x) is the antiderivative of g(x). Applying this to our integral, we have:

E = - \frac{k I_0 (ikr)}{2\pi} \Big|_0^\infty + \int_0^\infty \frac{d k}{2\pi} \frac{I_0 (ikr)}{k^2 + m^2}

We can see that the first term evaluates to zero as k approaches infinity, leaving us with:

E = \int_0^\infty \frac{d k}{2\pi} \frac{I_0 (ikr)}{k^2 + m^2}

Now, let's focus on the second term. We can rewrite the Bessel function I_0 (ikr) as a series expansion:

I_0 (ikr) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(ikr)^{2n}}{(2n)!}

Substituting this into our integral, we have:

E = \int_0^\infty \frac{d k}{2\pi} \frac{1}{k^2 + m^2} \sum_{n=0}^\

1. What is the Zee QFT problem I.4.1?

The Zee QFT problem I.4.1 is a theoretical physics problem that deals with the inverse square laws in (D+1)-dimensions. It was first proposed by physicist Anthony Zee in his book "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" and has since been a topic of interest for many researchers in the field of quantum field theory.

2. What are inverse square laws?

Inverse square laws are mathematical relationships that describe how a physical quantity varies with distance. In (D+1)-dimensions, the inverse square law states that the strength of a force or field decreases in proportion to the square of the distance from the source.

3. How does the Zee QFT problem I.4.1 relate to quantum field theory?

The Zee QFT problem I.4.1 is a problem in quantum field theory because it deals with the behavior of fields and forces in (D+1)-dimensions. It is also relevant to quantum field theory because it involves the use of Feynman diagrams and perturbation theory to solve the problem.

4. What is the significance of (D+1)-dimensions in this problem?

The use of (D+1)-dimensions in the Zee QFT problem I.4.1 allows for a more general and abstract approach to understanding inverse square laws. It also helps to generalize the problem and make it applicable to a wider range of physical systems.

5. What are some potential applications of the solutions to the Zee QFT problem I.4.1?

The solutions to the Zee QFT problem I.4.1 can have implications in various fields of physics, such as cosmology, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. They can also help to better understand the behavior of forces and fields in higher dimensions and potentially lead to new discoveries in quantum field theory.