Zeeman Effect: Homework Questions on n=2 & 3 Energy Levels in 2T Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the splitting of energy levels for a hydrogen atom in a magnetic field and poses questions about the separation in energy between adjacent ml levels, the number of different wavelengths for 3d to 2p transitions, and the wavelength for each of those transitions. The Bohr magneton is used in calculations and the equations ΔE = μ*Δml*B and λ = \frac{h*c}{ΔE} are applied. Ultimately, there are 9 possible transitions and each must be further evaluated to determine the corresponding wavelength.
lee_sarah76

Homework Statement

Consider the splitting of the n=2 and n=3 energy levels for a hydrogen atom placed in a 2T
magnetic field. Consider only the normal Zeeman effect (ignore spin). (a) What is the separation
in energy between adjacent ml levels for the same l? (b) How many different wavelengths will
there be for 3d to 2p transitions, if ml can change only by ±1 or 0? (c) What is the wavelength for
each of those transitions?

Homework Equations

ΔE = μ*Δml*B <--- μ is the Bohr magneton in this case.
λ = [itex]\frac{h*c}{ΔE}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a I was able to do easily, by plugging Δml = 1, and 9.274*10-24 J/T for μ.

Part b, I had a little confusion, but I believe I did correctly, given that there are 5 possible states for ml when n = 3 and l = 2, and 3 possible states for ml when n = 2 and l = 1, so there are 9 possible wavelengths that could occur?

Is this correct, or do I also have to account for each of the Zeeman effects on energy and count those as different wavelengths as well?

Finally, for part c, I understand that the equation is simply λ = [itex]\frac{h*c}{ΔE}[/itex], but my confusion again lies in the part if I use the slightly altered energy states (For example, for the n = 3, l = 2, ml = 1 state, there could be a ΔE of plus or minus 1.8548 * 10-23 J.) or if I simply use the normal, non-affected values for E, then calculate ΔE and then λ?

Thanks, and I'd be happy to clarify if what I asked didn't make sense..

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 9 possible transitions. But you will need to go further and see if each transition gives a different wavelength.

With the magnetic field turned on, what is the expression for the energy En,l,ml of a level with quantum numbers n, l and ml? From that expression you can find ΔE for each of your 9 transitions.

Last edited:

1. What is the Zeeman Effect?

The Zeeman Effect is the splitting of spectral lines in the emission or absorption spectra of atoms when they are placed in a magnetic field. This phenomenon was discovered by Dutch physicist Pieter Zeeman in 1896.

2. How does a magnetic field affect the energy levels of atoms in the n=2 and n=3 states?

In a 2T magnetic field, the energy levels of atoms in the n=2 and n=3 states will split into multiple energy levels. For n=2, the energy levels will split into two levels, while for n=3, the energy levels will split into three levels. This splitting is known as the Zeeman Effect.

3. What causes the splitting of energy levels in the Zeeman Effect?

The splitting of energy levels in the Zeeman Effect is caused by the interaction between the magnetic moment of the atom and the external magnetic field. This interaction causes the energy levels to split into multiple levels, with each level having a slightly different energy.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the energy level splitting in the Zeeman Effect?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the energy level splitting in the Zeeman Effect. A stronger magnetic field will result in a larger energy level splitting, while a weaker magnetic field will result in a smaller energy level splitting.

5. What is the significance of the Zeeman Effect in science?

The Zeeman Effect has significant implications in the study of atomic and molecular physics, as it provides a way to measure the magnetic properties of atoms and molecules. It is also used in various technologies, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and magnetic storage devices.