Zero Divisor Help: Prove & Example

• MHB
  • Thread starter corkscrew062
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Zero
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving commutative rings and a ring isomorphism, where it is proven that if $x$ is a zero divisor in $R$, then $f(x)$ is a zero divisor in $S$. An example is given to show that this is not necessarily true if $R$ and $S$ are not isomorphic. The conversation also mentions the use of rings in certain situations, such as in the case of dividing by zero in a modulated by 6 variety.
corkscrew062
Came across this problem while reading and I can't understand what it wants. I've tried solving for units to get zero divisors but that doesn't work. It's not the end of the world if I can't figure it out, it's just bothering me because I'm confused. Here's the problem: Let $R$ and $S$ be commutative rings, and let $f:R\longrightarrow S$ be a ring isomorphism. Prove if $x$ is a zero divisor in $R$, then $f(x)$ is a zero divisor in $S$. Give an example to show that it is not necessarily true if $R\not \simeq S$.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What you lack, Sir Lion, is not courage, but a testimonial-so I will give you one.

Rings are terrible beasties-they positively give me fits of apoplexy. That said, one occasionally needs to employ one when one has some -unsavory- business to attend to. So, one must, of needs, descend to the algebraic gutters, and make their acquaintances.

The nicer mannered ones come from the integral school, however, even some of these have produced some rather badly-quotiented offspring, as if dividing by zero wasn't OH SO 20th century. Egads!

You might, for example, consider the modulated by 6 variety, and think of some choice...no prime! idealization it contains which would render the zero-dividing nonsense totally harmless.

(No, seriously-look at $\Bbb Z_6$ which has zero divisors, and consider the ring $\Bbb Z_6/(\overline{2})$).

1. What is a zero divisor?

A zero divisor is an element in a mathematical structure, such as a ring or field, that when multiplied by another non-zero element, results in zero. In other words, it is an element that has no multiplicative inverse.

2. How do you prove that an element is a zero divisor?

To prove that an element is a zero divisor, you must show that when it is multiplied by another non-zero element, the result is zero. This can be done through a direct proof or a proof by contradiction.

3. Can you give an example of a zero divisor?

One example of a zero divisor is the element 0 in the ring of integers. When multiplied by any other integer, the result is always 0, making it a zero divisor.

4. How do zero divisors affect the properties of a mathematical structure?

Zero divisors can affect the properties of a mathematical structure in various ways. For example, in a ring, zero divisors can prevent the existence of a multiplicative identity and a cancellation law. In a field, the presence of zero divisors can prevent the existence of a multiplicative inverse for all elements.

5. Is every non-zero element in a mathematical structure a zero divisor?

No, not every non-zero element is a zero divisor. In some mathematical structures, such as integral domains and fields, every non-zero element is not a zero divisor. However, in other structures like rings, there can be non-zero elements that are not zero divisors.