Nontrivial Finite Rings with No Zero Divisors

In summary, the homework statement is that a finite ring with more than one element and no zero divisors is a division ring. The Attempt at a Solution demonstrates that every nonzero element has an identity, and these identities are the same.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

A finite ring with more than one element and no zero divisors is a division ring (Special case: a finite integral domain is a field)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##r \in R \setminus \{0\}##, and define ##f : R \setminus \{0\} \to R \setminus \{0\}## by ##f(x) = rx##. Now suppose ##f(x) = f(y)##. Then ##rx = ry## or ##r(x-y)=0##, which implies ##x=y## since ##r \neq 0## and there can be no zero divisors. Since ##R \setminus \{0\}## is finite, we can conclude ##f## is, in addition to being injective (as we just demonstrated), surjective. Similarly, we can show map defined by right multiplication is bijective.

Given ##r \in R \setminus \{0\}##, there exists an ##x \in R \setminus \{0\}## such that ##f(x) = r## or ##rx=r##, which implies ##r## has a right identity. We can also deduce that ##r## has a left identity, and since left and right identities must coincide, ##x## is ##r##'s identity simpliciter. Therefore, every nonzero element has an identity. Now we show that these identities are in fact the same (this is where it gets a little hairy and uncertain).

Let ##r## and ##s## be nonzero elements and let ##x## and ##y## be their identity, respectively. Then ##rs = rs## or ##rs = rys## or ##r = ry## or ##rx = ry## or ##x=y##, where we used the cancellation law, which holds when there are no zero divisors, several times. There is probably a more direct way to conclude ##x=y##, but I can't see it at present.

Therefore, ##R## has a multiplicative identity, denote it as a ##1##. Thus given ##1##, there exists an ##x \in R \setminus \{0\}## such that ##f(x) = 1## or ##rx = 1##. Using the fact that left and right inverses coincide, ##x## is ##r##'s multiplicative identity.

How does this sound?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
How does this sound?
Why do left and right identities have to be the same? I could follow you until - given an element ##r \neq 0## - there are elements ##x_r## and ##y_r## with ##rx_r =r = y_rr##. The index is necessary as up to this point, those elements still depend on the given ##r##. Also isn't clear whether we may assume the existence of a unity element ##1## or not. E.g., how about the ring of all polynomials over ##\mathbb{Z}_3## with zero absolute term and ##x^2=x##, i.e. ##x\,\mid \,p(x)\,##? And I haven't understood the part, where you show that ##x_r=x_s##. This leaves me with three questions:
  1. ##1 \in R\,##?
  2. ##x_r = y_r\,##?
  3. ##x_r = x_s## and with it ##y_r=y_s\,##?
So
Bashyboy said:
since left and right identities must coincide
isn't clear to me and the third part is a bit too hand waving. I think at some place associativity is needed (which also isn't mentioned as a given property). Without indexing the right identity ##x_r## and the left identity ##y_r## it is a bit too foggy for my taste.

Last edited:
The ##x_r## and ##y_r## are guaranteed to exist because the map (and its right multiplication analogue) are surjective. I my problem lies in the fact that I confusingly calling ##x_r## the right identity of ##r## and ##y_r## the left identity of ##r##. Now, if I were able to show that ##x_r## is the right identity of EVERY element, as well as showing ##y_r## the left identity of EVERY element, then I could conclude ##x_r = y_r##; but really ##x_r## just an identity with respect to the single element ##r## (the same goes for ##y_r##). That's where I went wrong.

To answer your questions, (1) we are not assuming ##1 \in R##, but I am trying to deduce the existence of ##1##; (2) I was trying to deduce this, but, as I discussed above, I did it incorrectly; (3) I was also trying to deduce this, but I did it incorrectly.

So, I guess I could use a hint on how to solve this problem. I know that if ##1 \in R##, then we could use the surjectivity of ##f(x) = rx## to prove every nonzero element is invertible, but I am unsure of how to prove that ##R## is unital

I thought of a way to fix it. As before, let ##f_r : R_0 \to R_0## be defined by ##f_r(x) = rx##, where ##R_0 = R - \{0\}##. Since this is a bijection, given ##r \in R_0##, there exists an ##x \in R_0## such that ##f_r(x) = r## or ##rx= r##. Since ##x## is not zero, there exists a ##y## such that ##xy = x##. Multiplying both sides by ##r## gives ##rxy=rx## or ##ry = rx## or ##y=x##. Therefore ##x^2 = x##. Multiplying both sides by the arbitrary element ##a##, ##ax^2 = ax## or ##x(ax-a)=0## which implies ##ax=a##, because ##x## is not zero. Multiplying the same equation the right side and doing similar manipulations, we conclude that ##x## is a left and right identity of ##R##, which we denote as ##1##. Now ##f_r## is bijective, there exists a ##s \in R## such that ##rs=1##. All that remains to show is that ##s## is left inverse, which I won't do now.

How does this sound?

1. What is a nontrivial finite ring with no zero divisors?

A nontrivial finite ring with no zero divisors is a mathematical structure that satisfies the properties of both a ring and a field. It is finite, meaning it has a finite number of elements, and it does not contain any elements that multiply to give a result of zero. This type of ring is also referred to as an integral domain.

2. How are nontrivial finite rings with no zero divisors used in mathematics?

Nontrivial finite rings with no zero divisors are used in many areas of mathematics, including abstract algebra, number theory, and cryptography. They also have applications in computer science and coding theory.

3. What are some examples of nontrivial finite rings with no zero divisors?

Some examples of nontrivial finite rings with no zero divisors include the integers modulo n (denoted Z/nZ), where n is a prime number, and the finite fields GF(p^m), where p is a prime number and m is a positive integer.

4. How do nontrivial finite rings with no zero divisors differ from other types of rings?

Nontrivial finite rings with no zero divisors differ from other types of rings in that they have no zero divisors, meaning any two nonzero elements multiplied together will always result in a nonzero element. This property is important in solving equations and determining divisibility in these types of rings.

5. What are some properties of nontrivial finite rings with no zero divisors?

Nontrivial finite rings with no zero divisors have several important properties, including closure under addition and multiplication, associativity, commutativity, and the existence of additive and multiplicative identities. They also have a unique multiplicative inverse for every nonzero element, making them useful in solving equations and determining divisibility.