Zero Velocity & Acceleration of Point of Contact: Problem Explanation

In summary: Ok, so I think my main confusion is that I thought the radius had to be starting from an point with no acceleration. For example if you want to find velocity of the centre of mass you would multiply the angular velocity with the radius starting from the centre of rotation which is the point of contact which has zero velocity. So if the ball is at the point of contact and I throw it up it has zero velocity and the acceleration at that point is ##g##. However if I throw the ball up and the ball is at the point of contact but the ball is also moving horizontally then the acceleration is not just ##g##, it's ##g(x_o,y_o)## where x_o and y_o are
Pipsqueakalchemist
Homework Statement
Question below
Relevant Equations
a_A = a_B + α X r_BA - w^2*r_BA (relative acceleration)
For this question the ball is rolling without slipping so that means the velocity of the point of contact is zero. Does that also apply to the acceleration of the point of contact? Because that’s what I assumed and I applied the relative acceleration formula above and use the starting point to be the point of contact and ending point to be point C. Then I just plugged everything in but I got the wrong answer. Can someone explain where I went wrong?

Attachments

• 5F1B7540-0965-45E8-97A1-A296E3EE9C64.png
    5F1B7540-0965-45E8-97A1-A296E3EE9C64.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 253
  • B2595062-6542-4588-8486-62EF50609292.png
    B2595062-6542-4588-8486-62EF50609292.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 8741CB5D-FE80-4F29-B4EC-46B2F35AAA33.png
    8741CB5D-FE80-4F29-B4EC-46B2F35AAA33.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 176
Physics news on Phys.org
If you throw a ball up it has zero velocity at the highest point, but the acceleration at that point is ##g##.

PeroK said:
If you throw a ball up it has zero velocity at the highest point, but the acceleration at that point is ##g##.
But then I’m confused how the solution found a_o.

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
But then I’m confused how the solution found a_o.
The disc is accelerating. It's not hard to relate linear acceleration to the given angular acceleration, which is what the solution does.

So the solution uses the angular acceleration of the disk and the radius from the point of contact to the centre of mass. But then why is doesn’t it include the acceleration of the point of contact. I’m not really sure how this makes sense because when the solution found a_o they used linear acceleration = angular*radius where the radius starts at the centre of rotation and isn’t the centre of rotation suppose to have zero velocity and speed. I guess I’m confused how the solution found a_o without knowing the acceleration of the point of contact.

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
So the solution uses the angular acceleration of the disk and the radius from the point of contact to the centre of mass. But then why is doesn’t it include the acceleration of the point of contact. I’m not really sure how this makes sense because when the solution found a_o they used linear acceleration = angular*radius where the radius starts at the centre of rotation and isn’t the centre of rotation suppose to have zero velocity and speed. I guess I’m confused how the solution found a_o without knowing the acceleration of the point of contact.
You can calculate the acceleration of the point of contact if you want, but it's not relevant to finding the acceleration of the point C.

How would you do it then? Is the acceleration at the point of contact restricted only in the horizontal direction bc I could understand doing this question without knowing the magnitude of the point of contact,centre of mass, and point C but if we knew they’re directions.

Ok so I did some searching and the formula the solution used was ao = alpha x radius. So the equation relates the acceleration of the centre of mass with the wheels angular acceleration. I think my main confusion was that I thought the radius had to be starting from an point with no acceleration. For example if you want to find velocity of the centre of mass you would multiply the angular velocity with the radius starting from the centre of rotation which is the point of contact which has zero velocity. I thought that had to apply to acceleration as well.

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
I think my main confusion was that I thought the radius had to be starting from an point with no acceleration. For example if you want to find velocity of the centre of mass you would multiply the angular velocity with the radius starting from the centre of rotation which is the point of contact which has zero velocity.
I don't understand why there would be a point on an accelerating rigid body with zero acceleration. There might be, but in general all points on the body are accelerating.

If a rigid body is rotating, then any point can be chosen as the centre of rotation. The most natural is usually the centre of mass. It's not clear why you would choose the point of contact in this case. Also, the point of contact is not a fixed point on the body, so that adds its own complications. Using the centre of mass must be much simpler conceptually and mathematically in this case.

1. What is zero velocity and acceleration of point of contact?

Zero velocity and acceleration of point of contact refers to the state in which an object's velocity and acceleration at the point where it is in contact with another object is equal to zero. This means that the object is not moving and is not experiencing any acceleration at that specific point.

2. Why is zero velocity and acceleration of point of contact important?

Zero velocity and acceleration of point of contact is important in understanding the motion of objects and their interactions with other objects. It can help determine the forces acting on an object and the stability of a system.

3. How is zero velocity and acceleration of point of contact calculated?

Zero velocity and acceleration of point of contact can be calculated using the basic principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion. It involves analyzing the forces acting on the object and determining the net force and acceleration at the point of contact.

4. What are some real-world examples of zero velocity and acceleration of point of contact?

One example of zero velocity and acceleration of point of contact is when a book is placed on a table and is not moving. The point of contact between the book and the table has zero velocity and acceleration. Another example is a car parked on a flat surface, where the point of contact between the tires and the ground has zero velocity and acceleration.

5. Can zero velocity and acceleration of point of contact change?

Yes, zero velocity and acceleration of point of contact can change if there is a change in the forces acting on the object or if the object itself moves. For example, if the book on the table is pushed, the point of contact will no longer have zero velocity and acceleration as the book starts to move.