Zorn's Lemma: Need help finding errors in proof

In summary, Zorn's Lemma states that if a set X has a partial order and every totally-ordered subset of X has an upperbound, then X contains a maximal element. The proof relies on the Axiom of Choice and considers two cases, one where B is non-empty and one where B is empty. In the latter case, a set of totally-ordered subsets of X is constructed and an upperbound is found, leading to the existence of a maximal element in X.
Terrell
Proposition(Zorn's Lemma): Let ##X\neq\emptyset## be of partial order with the property that ##\forall Y\subseteq X## such that ##Y## is of total-order then ##Y## has an upperbound, then ##X## contains a maximal element.

Proof:
Case 1: ##B\neq\emptyset## such that ##B##=##\{####b\in X##: ##b## has an undefined order relation with all elements in ##X####\}##. Thus, ##\forall b\in B##, ##b## is maximal since there is no ##x\in X## where ##b<x##.

Case 2: ##B=\emptyset##; Let ##I_1## be some index set and let ##Y_\alpha,\forall\alpha\in X_1## denote all the totally-ordered sets in ##X##. Consider that ##\cup_{\alpha\in I_1}Y_\alpha## is either a poset or a totally-ordered set in ##X##. If ##\cup_{\alpha\in I_1}Y_\alpha## is totally ordered, then, by the premise of the lemma, ##\cup_{\alpha\in I_1}Y_\alpha## has an upperbound ##\hat{y}##. Since ##\hat{y}## would then be an upperbound of all totally-ordered subsets in ##X##, then no ##x\in X## satisfies ##\hat{y}<x##. Hence, ##\hat{y}## is a maximal element in ##X##. If ##\cup_{\alpha\in I_1}Y_\alpha## is a poset, then ##\exists y_1,y_2\in\cup_{\alpha\in I_1}Y_\alpha## such that the order relation ##y_1## and ##y_2## is undefined. In order to resolve this issue(of being unable to "compare"), we construct a set ##\mathscr{T}## of totally-ordered sets ##\Bbb{T}(y)## where ##\forall\overline{y}\in\cup_{\alpha\in I_1}Y_\alpha##, we let \begin{align}\Bbb{T}(\overline{y})=\{y\in\cup_{\alpha\in I_1}Y_\alpha:y\leq_X\overline{y}\quad \lor\quad \overline{y}\leq_X y\}\end{align}
Note that the correspondence of each ##\overline{y}\in\cup_{\alpha\in I_1}Y_\alpha## to a set ##\Bbb{T}(\overline{y})## is not one-to-one. Nevertheless, we have a collection ##\mathscr{T}=\{\Bbb{T}(y):y\in\cup_{\alpha\in I_1}Y_\alpha\}=\{\Bbb{T}(y):y\in X\}##. Each ##\Bbb{T}(y)## is constructed in such a way so that ##\forall\alpha\in I_1, \exists\Bbb{T}(y)\in\mathscr{T}## such that ##Y_\alpha\subseteq\Bbb{T}(y)##. Moreover, since ##B=\emptyset## and ##\forall y\in\cup_{\alpha\in I_1}Y_\alpha##, ##\Bbb{T}(y)## contains the maximum number of elements from ##X## while remaining totally-ordered, then ##\forall x_i\in X## where ##x_i\notin\Bbb{T}(y)##, it must be that ##x_i\in\Bbb{T}(y')## where ##y## and ##y'## have an undefined order-relation. Lastly, since we know that ##\forall y\in X, \Bbb{T}(y)\subseteq X## and is totally-ordered, then, by our premise, ##\Bbb{T}(y)## has an upperbound ##\tau## which I think is some maximal of ##X## because all upperbounds of each distinct ##\Bbb{T}(y^*)\in\mathscr{T}## are pair-wise undefined order relation(or incomparable). So for all upperbound ##\tau## in some ##\Bbb{T}(y)## there does not exist ##x\in X## such that ##\tau <x##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Before someone will fight their way through your proof, will say I'm not sure yet, whether I'm the one, since it's far too hot here and this increases my chances to be wrong, please tell us your assumption. Zorn's Lemma cannot be proven. It only has various equivalent formulations (four others in my book), so either equivalence is proven or a deduction from one of the other formulations. Which one?

first of all., in line 6, the letter X1 should be I1. Then in the definition of T(y), as the set of all elements of X which are comparable to y, there is no reason for T(y) to be itself totally ordered. I.e. just because every pair of elements in T(y) are comparable to y, there is no reason for them to be comparable to each other. I stopped there.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
please tell us your assumption.
I assumed Axiom of Choice. In particular, when choosing a maximal element of each chain ##\Bbb{T}(y)## constructed in the proof.

mathwonk said:
there is no reason for T(y) to be itself totally ordered.
thank you! I missed that. Is there anyway I could edit this post?

Terrell said:
thank you! I missed that. Is there anyway I could edit this post?
No, but you can "reply" it, remove the quotation marks and post a new version. To edit it afterwards isn't polite. It would make @mathwonk's answer look stupid, which is why there is a timer on the edit button.

fresh_42 said:
No, but you can "reply" it, remove the quotation marks and post a new version. To edit it afterwards isn't polite.
Noted. This is what I like about the community here. Most people here considers that human beings have feelings too. lol

1. What is Zorn's Lemma and why is it important?

Zorn's Lemma is a powerful tool in set theory that states that every non-empty partially ordered set in which every chain has an upper bound, has a maximal element. It is important because it allows us to prove the existence of certain mathematical objects that might not be easily constructible.

2. What are the common errors made when proving Zorn's Lemma?

Common errors in the proof of Zorn's Lemma include assuming that the maximal element is unique, assuming that the maximal element must be the upper bound of all chains, and assuming that the partially ordered set must be finite.

3. How can I check for errors in a proof of Zorn's Lemma?

To check for errors, carefully examine each step of the proof and make sure that all assumptions are valid and all logical steps are correct. It can also be helpful to try to find counterexamples or to consult with other mathematicians for feedback.

4. Are there any alternative proofs of Zorn's Lemma?

Yes, there are several alternative proofs of Zorn's Lemma, including the Kuratowski-Zorn Lemma and the Hausdorff Maximal Principle. These alternative proofs may provide different insights into the lemma and its applications.

5. What are some real-world applications of Zorn's Lemma?

Zorn's Lemma has applications in many areas of mathematics, including topology, abstract algebra, and logic. It is also used in computer science and economics, particularly in game theory and decision-making processes.