Spacetime Fabric Shear Strength

In summary: Einstein Field Equations. This does not mean, however, that the energy configurations need to create such a metric are physically possible. That question will need to be considered under the rules of the yet-to-be-established quantum gravity.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spacetime and its properties, such as its connection inside and outside of a black hole's event horizon. The topic of the Big Crunch and the mass needed for a black hole to shred the spacetime fabric at the event horizon is also brought up. The conversation also touches on the idea of spacetime as a fabric and its relation to quantum foam and wormholes. It is concluded that while wormholes are a valid mathematical
stglyde
Inside a black hole singularily, the center is pulling spacetime to it, but because the spacetime fabric inside and outside the event horizon are connected... it doesn't shear or break. But during a Big Crunch, the entire spacetime of the universe would be sucked back into the singularity and there would be no spacetime outside the singularity. My question is. What must be the mass of black holes before it can shred the spacetime fabric at the event horizon and sucking the spacetime inside the event horizon into the singularity? How do you calculate for it?

Physics news on Phys.org
stglyde said:
Inside a black hole singularily, the center is pulling spacetime to it, but because the spacetime fabric inside and outside the event horizon are connected... it doesn't shear or break. But during a Big Crunch, the entire spacetime of the universe would be sucked back into the singularity and there would be no spacetime outside the singularity. My question is. What must be the mass of black holes before it can shred the spacetime fabric at the event horizon and sucking the spacetime inside the event horizon into the singularity? How do you calculate for it?

I doubt if this question makes any sense, but I can't say that for sure.

"Fabric" is a very unfortunate choice of words that derives from a comment Einstein made and think of space like it was clothe won't get you anywhere.

As Phinds said, spacetime is not, as far as we know, a fabric like the popular description says.

As above. Analogies can be taken too far.

I never liked words as the 'fabric' myself. It makes it sound as a classical 'space' has to be something we can collect, to then build on as some sort of puzzle. A 'space' is to me classically defined as that place where nothing exists.

That's also what makes it meaningless to define it in distance. You need matter separated to define that 'space'. Not having any matter to hang your definitions of it on that 'perfect space' won't exist, even though it might be 'there' in some theoretical manner, as defined by 'energy' possibly.

The Big Bang was 'something' of a enormous energy density, inflating the 'space' faster than light. But 'space' as such don't have a 'speed'.

yoron said:
I never liked words as the 'fabric' myself. It makes it sound as a classical 'space' has to be something we can collect, to then build on as some sort of puzzle. A 'space' is to me classically defined as that place where nothing exists.

That's also what makes it meaningless to define it in distance. You need matter separated to define that 'space'. Not having any matter to hang your definitions of it on that 'perfect space' won't exist, even though it might be 'there' in some theoretical manner, as defined by 'energy' possibly.

The Big Bang was 'something' of a enormous energy density, inflating the 'space' faster than light. But 'space' as such don't have a 'speed'.

But how come in the Planck scale, space is said to be in fluctuations and tearing such that microscopic wormholes and quantum foam were created.. tearing can occur in a fabric...

stglyde said:
But how come in the Planck scale, space is said to be in fluctuations and tearing such that microscopic wormholes and quantum foam were created.. tearing can occur in a fabric...

Do you ever eat bananas? Monkeys eat bananas. Does that make you a monkey?

As e.bar.goum said, analogies can be carried too far. Get over it.

stglyde said:

I don't know much about wormholes, but Quantum Foam has nothing to do with tearing spacetime.

Drakkith said:
I don't know much about wormholes, but Quantum Foam has nothing to do with tearing spacetime.

What do you make of this wikipedia entry?:

"Physicists have not found any natural process which would be predicted to form a wormhole naturally in the context of general relativity, although the quantum foam hypothesis is sometimes used to suggest that tiny wormholes might appear and disappear spontaneously at the Planck scale,[6][7] and stable versions of such wormholes have been suggested as dark matter candidates.[8][9] It has also been proposed that if a tiny wormhole held open by a negative-mass cosmic string had appeared around the time of the Big Bang, it could have been inflated to macroscopic size by cosmic inflation.[10]"

Ref 6 refers to: Thorne, Kip S. (1994). Black Holes and Time Warps.
Ref 7 refers to: http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9309017 "Quantum Dynamics of Lorentzian Spacetime Foam"

Wormholes are a product of GR and Quantum Foam from QM or a related field. The two theories have never been successfully merged so I don't see any relation between the two. If someone else knows otherwise please step forward.

Drakkith said:
Wormholes are a product of GR and Quantum Foam from QM or a related field. The two theories have never been successfully merged so I don't see any relation between the two. If someone else knows otherwise please step forward.

You are right, purely from a mathematical standpoint a "wormhole metric" is a valid solution to the Einstein Field Equations. This does not mean, however, that the energy configurations need to create such a metric are physically possible. That question will need to be considered under the rules of the yet-to-be-established quantum gravity.

Spacetime is not a fabric in GR, one of the chief differences being that fabric has a unique rest frame and spacetime does not.

Spacetime is a (pseudo Lorentzian) manifold in GR, which means that if you zoom into a small piece it "looks like" R4 in the sense that it can be smoothly mapped to R4.

The quantum foam problem is simply that at small enough length scales this mapping may no longer be smooth due to the presence of massive, short-lived virtual particles.

Markus Hanke said:
You are right, purely from a mathematical standpoint a "wormhole metric" is a valid solution to the Einstein Field Equations. This does not mean, however, that the energy configurations need to create such a metric are physically possible. That question will need to be considered under the rules of the yet-to-be-established quantum gravity.

To create a wormhole between Earth and pluto may take the energy of an entire galaxy or more to bend spacetime. But is it possible that with the yet to be established quantum gravity.. one simply need some reconfiguration of the metric to reorient and establish a rosen-einstein bridge without needing incredible amount of energy much like a 2 year old kid taking a lifetime a bend a plastic chair with his hands when he could simply pour gasoline to the chair and a lighter is enough to melt the chair to a blob?

Reminder: speculation about the properties and predictions of theories that don't even exist yet is outside the scope of this forum. If there are indeed current theories of quantum gravity that can do what you want, they are probably best discussed in the "Beyond the Standard Model" forum.

Drakkith said:

Early attempts to quantize gravity produced and equation that, although far too difficult to actually solve in any realistic case, is nevertheless conceptually enlightening.

This equation, the Wheeler-DeWitt equation, is analogous to the Schroedinger equation of quantum mechanics. A solution to the Schroedinger equation describes a particle whose position could be anything possible. A solution to the Wheeler-DeWitt equation describes a universe whose geometry could be anything possible. Just as quantum particles have a fuzzy position, quantum universes have fuzzy geometry. This fuzziness in the case of universes is call the "quantum foam" and it is presumed to include wormhole geometries.

That's what I got from recently reading a wormhole book aimed at a lay audience.

HarryRool said:
Early attempts to quantize gravity produced and equation that, although far too difficult to actually solve in any realistic case, is nevertheless conceptually enlightening.

This equation, the Wheeler-DeWitt equation, is analogous to the Schroedinger equation of quantum mechanics. A solution to the Schroedinger equation describes a particle whose position could be anything possible. A solution to the Wheeler-DeWitt equation describes a universe whose geometry could be anything possible. Just as quantum particles have a fuzzy position, quantum universes have fuzzy geometry. This fuzziness in the case of universes is call the "quantum foam" and it is presumed to include wormhole geometries.

That's what I got from recently reading a wormhole book aimed at a lay audience.

I see. That is pretty interesting!

1. What is spacetime fabric shear strength?

Spacetime fabric shear strength is a measure of the resistance of the fabric of space and time to being stretched or sheared. It is a concept in theoretical physics that attempts to explain how the fabric of the universe behaves under different forces.

2. How is spacetime fabric shear strength measured?

Currently, there is no way to directly measure spacetime fabric shear strength. It is a theoretical concept that is used in mathematical models to understand the behavior of the universe. Scientists use mathematical equations and simulations to estimate the shear strength of spacetime in different scenarios.

3. What factors affect spacetime fabric shear strength?

There are several factors that can affect the shear strength of spacetime, including the mass and energy distribution in the universe, the curvature of spacetime, and the presence of strong gravitational fields. It is also believed that the fabric of spacetime may have different shear strengths in different regions of the universe.

4. How does spacetime fabric shear strength relate to the theory of relativity?

Spacetime fabric shear strength is a key concept in Einstein's theory of general relativity. According to this theory, the fabric of spacetime is not a rigid structure, but rather a dynamic entity that can be stretched and distorted by massive objects. The strength of this fabric determines how much it can be deformed under the influence of gravitational forces.

5. Can spacetime fabric shear strength be altered or manipulated?

At this time, there is no evidence to suggest that spacetime fabric shear strength can be altered or manipulated. However, some theories suggest that advanced civilizations may have the ability to manipulate the fabric of spacetime, potentially leading to faster-than-light travel or other phenomena that are currently thought to be impossible.