Why did no one tell me about the IGNORE function

• Thread starter OmCheeto
  • Start date
In summary: :)Yeah, it might not matter so much on PF because of the large membership and active moderation, but a few years ago another board I used (nothing to do with physics, and not running on VB) introduced an "ignore button" and more or less destroyed itself in a few months. First because threads where you can't see "ignored" posts but you can see responses to them quickly become incomprehensible (especially if the OP is ignored!) and second because the board fragmented into "sub-boards" with relatively small groups of users who "ignored" almost everybody except thooe with the same opinions as themselves.And the small groups then stopped using the board altogether, and talked to each other... :)
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Omg. For years, I have been suffering from posts from people who I consider little more than; "I don't have anything to say, really, but I'll disagree with your post, and fill two pages with completely vacuous comments, that simply waste your time. But I don't care, as I live in my grandma's basement, and have nothing better to do, than to waste your, and everyone else's time. Ha ha!"

edit.ignore.list.jpg

Check it out! : Edit Ignore List

I love this function. How long has it been available?

hmmm...

Greg! Can you add a function that would tell me how many people have me on their "Ignore" list?

ps. I guess I should play with the PF buttons more often.
I've not done it since briefly after I arrived. :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
OmCheeto said:
How long has it been available?

For as long as I remember.

OmCheeto said:
I love this function. How long has it been available?

mmmmm maybe 10 years :)

OmCheeto said:
Greg! Can you add a function that would tell me how many people have me on their "Ignore" list?

What was that? I didn't hear you... jk :D

Borek said:
For as long as I remember.

Nooooo! :cry:

This would have saved me so much grief.

I'm a bit senile. And there are lots of people at PF. Sometimes I forget who I should ignore.

Maybe Greg can put in a function that prods oldsters into checking out that button on the left hand side of the screen, until they push it.

Please stop pushing the report button repeatedly about how annoying you find "that person's completely vacuous 47 page long commentary that boils down to, "Your'e stupid, and I'm not" comment". Please push the "Ignore" button. It is to your left, you senile *** ****.
Admin/Mentordom

Obviously, I missed something in Kindergarten...

If you're reading this, I'm honored.

dkotschessaa said:
As am I my friend...as am I.

dkotschessaa said:

WannabeNewton said:

Would not my idea, discourage, vacuous posts?

Just sayin'...

-------------------------
It did take me a few years to figure out the "Multiple Quote" thingy
Eureka!
"He is said to have been so eager to share his discovery that he leapt out of his bathtub and ran through the streets of Syracuse naked."
I'll keep my pants on, thank you very much!

Last edited:
WannabeNewton said:
dkotschessaa said:
Where is that quoted post?
Just joking.

I think every major board software has an ignore function.

I think what's funnier is that I never knew you could have a "praise" header for titles of threads posted on this subforum.

WannabeNewton said:
I think what's funnier is that I never knew you could have a "praise" header for titles of threads posted on this subforum.

I never saw it before today either.

Live and learn.

:smile:

WannabeNewton said:

We don't get a whole lot of praises :( :D

Can we put an "Ignore <username>" option into the dropdown menu that appears when you click on the username at the left of a post? Then more people would probably notice that it's available!

jtbell said:
Can we put an "Ignore <username>" option into the dropdown menu that appears when you click on the username at the left of a post? Then more people would probably notice that it's available!

Brilliant!

Btw, does this mean that everyone in the world has been using this feature except for me?

---------------------------
I love trainstorming.

I've never seen this either until now. Guess what I tried to do? Hint:
PF said:
We can't help you ignore yourself.

fluidistic said:
I've never seen this either until now. Guess what I tried to do? Hint:

I was thinking the same thing, but worried about an infinite loop, and a collapsing universe kind of thingy.

I chickened out of course.

Paranoia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WJ6FbcWYRU

Hey! Can I change my user name to "The People" ?

Yes... Focus... Think of the obelisk, and repeat after me; "Give the people what they want. Give ThemPeople what they want. Give thOmPeepo what the' wants. Give OmCheeto what he wants."

Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell said:

It might not matter so much on PF because of the large membership and active moderation, but a few years ago another board I used (nothing to do with physics, and not running on VB) introduced an "ignore button" and more or less destroyed itself in a few months. First because threads where you can't see "ignored" posts but you can see responses to them quickly become incomprehensible (especially if the OP is ignored!) and second because the board fragmented into "sub-boards" with relatively small groups of users who "ignored" almost everybody except thooe with the same opinions as themselves.

And the small groups then stopped using the board altogether, and talked to each other via email or other systems instead.

AlephZero said:
It might not matter so much on PF because of the large membership and active moderation, but a few years ago another board I used (nothing to do with physics, and not running on VB) introduced an "ignore button" and more or less destroyed itself in a few months. First because threads where you can't see "ignored" posts but you can see responses to them quickly become incomprehensible (especially if the OP is ignored!) and second because the board fragmented into "sub-boards" with relatively small groups of users who "ignored" almost everybody except thooe with the same opinions as themselves.

And the small groups then stopped using the board altogether, and talked to each other via email or other systems instead.

hmmmm...

Members @ PF: 396,241
Members on my ignore list: 4
That's a ratio of 99,060:1

I'm pretty sure I've had a disagreement with every single Mentor and Member I've interacted with at this forum.

I don't want to ignore people who disagree with me.
I want to ignore people who disagree with me and have nothing to contribute.

So far it's working perfectly!
party0006.gif

Speaking of the "ignore" feature (which fortunately I've only had to use a couple of times)...

There seems to be an associated bug: in the list of threads for any particular forum, I still see threads started by people on my ignore list. I would have thought those threads shouldn't appear at all for me.

Is this a bug or a feature?

strangerep said:
Speaking of the "ignore" feature (which fortunately I've only had to use a couple of times)...

There seems to be an associated bug: in the list of threads for any particular forum, I still see threads started by people on my ignore list. I would have thought those threads shouldn't appear at all for me.

Is this a bug or a feature?

But there may be posts in that thread by people who are not on your ignore list.

dx said:
But there may be posts in that thread by people who are not on your ignore list.
Yes,... but why would I want to see that thread at all if it's originated by someone on my ignore list?

So, what happens when a person on your ignore list does start a thread? Do you see a thread with no OP?

Evo said:
So, what happens when a person on your ignore list does start a thread? Do you see a thread with no OP?
:confused: I see a thread with an OP who is on my ignore list.

And what happens, if no one responds, to one of my future posts?
I will be, once again, paranoid...
"EVERYONE has me on their IGNORE list!" AHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I hate this thread.
Who started it?

strangerep said:
:confused: I see a thread with an OP who is on my ignore list.
So the OP appears even though the person is on your ignore list? Or do you mean that the thread appears after someone responds, but the OP is not there?

Just curious because as a mentor, I can't block anyone. I have to see everything. :frown:

The thread appears even if no one responds, but the OP is "This message is hidden because ***** is on your ignore list" just like with posts from ignored people in other threads.

dx said:
The thread appears even if no one responds, but the OP is "This message is hidden because ***** is on your ignore list" just like with posts from ignored people in other threads.
Ah, thanks! Like I said, I've never hidden anyone. Just wish I could. :biggrin:

AlephZero said:
It might not matter so much on PF because of the large membership and active moderation, but a few years ago another board I used (nothing to do with physics, and not running on VB) introduced an "ignore button" and more or less destroyed itself in a few months. ... And the small groups then stopped using the board altogether, and talked to each other via email or other systems instead.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc? Could it be that this board was on its way to demise anyway, regardless of such a button?

OmCheeto said:
Nooooo! :cry:

This would have saved me so much grief.

I'm a bit senile. And there are lots of people at PF. Sometimes I forget who I should ignore.

Maybe Greg can put in a function that prods oldsters into checking out that button on the left hand side of the screen, until they push it.

Obviously, I missed something in Kindergarten...

Or perhaps the other senile people at PF had decided that your humor was unignorable and so had hidden the button from your view and now they simply forgot and the unignorable became ignorable.

I just tried to put myself on my ignore list. 'Didn't work. ('Gave me a funny response though. :smile:)

collinsmark said:
I just tried to put myself on my ignore list. 'Didn't work. ('Gave me a funny response though. :smile:)

Hint: See post 14. :wink:

fluidistic said:
Hint: See post 14. :wink:

shhhhh... you'll give away his gender...

1. Why is the IGNORE function important in scientific research?

The IGNORE function is important because it allows researchers to filter out irrelevant data or variables that may affect their results. This helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of their findings.

2. How does the IGNORE function work?

The IGNORE function works by allowing the user to specify certain criteria or conditions that they want to exclude from their analysis. This can be done through coding or using built-in functions in statistical software.

3. Can the IGNORE function be used in all types of research?

Yes, the IGNORE function can be used in all types of research as long as the data is structured in a way that allows for filtering. It is a common tool used in many scientific fields such as biology, psychology, and economics.

4. What are the benefits of using the IGNORE function?

Using the IGNORE function can save researchers time and resources by eliminating the need to manually sift through large amounts of data. It also helps to improve the accuracy and validity of research findings.

5. Are there any limitations to using the IGNORE function?

One limitation of the IGNORE function is that it may overlook important data if the exclusion criteria are not carefully chosen. It is important for researchers to thoroughly understand their data and the potential impact of excluding certain variables before using the IGNORE function.