Calculating Gravity and Orbital Speed of Mercury at Mean Distance from the Sun

• Thread starter vasfinest18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for help with a physics problem involving the planet Mercury's orbit around the Sun. The problem requires the calculation of the strength of the Sun's gravity field at Mercury's mean distance and Mercury's orbital speed in m/s and km/h. The student is unsure of how to approach the problem and is seeking guidance on the proper formula and variables to use. They are advised to consult their physics textbook for the necessary values and equations.
vasfinest18
hey, i am really stuck on this problem and i was wondering if anyone could help me...

The planet Mercury orbits the Sun at a mean distance of 5.80X10^7 km.
a) calculate the strength of the Sun's gravity field (g) at Mercury's mean distance.
b) Calculate Mercury's orbital speed in m/s and in km/h.

Any assistance on the problem would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi vasfinest18,

In the future, post questions like these in the homework section. And lastly, you must show an attempt. So any thoughts what to do?

is the formula that i need to use g=GM/r^2? there must be some more info that i need to derive from the problem, because i was only given 1 number. should i substitute 10m/s^2 in for G?? but if that is the right equation to use, i am still missing another piece of info that i would need...

Homework Statement

a) calculate the strength of the Sun's gravity field (g) at Mercury's mean distance.
b) Calculate Mercury's orbital speed in m/s and in km/h.

Homework Equations

g=GM/r^2... i think but i need 3 out of those 4 variables, and i only have 1 given.. G is mostly likely 10 m/s^2, but from there i don't know how to calculate 'g' or M.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well for first problem, you are right track. G is simply the gravitational constant (look up the value). r is the distance between the sun and mercury. And you already know the mass of the sun. Just plug in the values into the formula and all should be good.

Open your physics book, there you will find the values you don't have. Usually on a table.

is the mean distance the radius? and for the mass should i just look up the mass of the sun?

vasfinest18 said:
is the mean distance the radius? and for the mass should i just look up the mass of the sun?

Obviously you must look up the mass if you do not know it.

If this thread appears to be confusing, that's because it has been merged with another that was posted in the wrong forum.

Please do NOT cross post.

Zz.

I don't find this thread constructive at all.
The question is blatantly straightforward.

g=GM/r²
where g = gravitational strength at that point,
G = gravitational constant,
M = mass of the object "creating" the gravity field, the sun in this case,
r = distance between the CG(center of gravity) sun and CG of the planet.

You should read up on any physics textbooks on chapter about gravitation before asking.

Edit:
and as for the second part, its another rigid equation you can find under circular motion. zzz

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all physical bodies with mass are brought towards one another. It is the force that attracts objects towards the center of the earth. It is also responsible for keeping the planets in orbit around the sun.

2. How does gravity affect circular motion?

Gravity is the centripetal force that keeps objects moving in a circular motion. This force is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object from flying off in a straight line.

3. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on that object. Mass is constant, but weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force.

4. What is the relationship between the mass of two objects and the strength of their gravitational attraction?

The strength of the gravitational attraction between two objects is directly proportional to their masses. This means that the greater the mass of the objects, the stronger the gravitational force between them.

5. How does circular motion affect the force of gravity?

The force of gravity remains constant regardless of the type of motion an object is in. In circular motion, the force of gravity acts as the centripetal force, keeping the object in its circular path. However, the speed and direction of the object's motion can affect the strength of the gravitational force.