Find the gravitational force of the sun on Mercury

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 12K views
chris_0101
Messages
59
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the gravitational force of the sun on Mercury
M_sun = 1.98892 x10^30 kg
M_mercury = 3.3022 x10^23 kg
Distance of sun and mercury = R = 6.863 x10^10
G = 6.67 x10^-11


Homework Equations


FG = GMsunMmercury/R^2


The Attempt at a Solution



I simply plugged in the given values (which I found from wolfram alpha) into the formula for F_G and I calculated the answer to be:
9.300 x10^21 N

However, the answer is not correct. If anyone can correct my mistake, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get the distance from mercury to the sun, and is it a measurement from the center of the sun to the center of mercury? If not, you may have to add in the radii of the two.