Field Effect Transistors (fet)

In summary, an n-channel Junction FET should be avoided because the gate current is to be avoided. The gate-channel junction is never forward biased.
kthouz
Hi! I am learning this topic of the electronics and they say that "for an n-channel Junction FET, gate current is to be avoided; consequently the gate-channel junction is never foward biased". My question is why that gate current has to be avoided?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Take a look at the pictures under the "Structure and channel formation" section of the Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosfet#MOSFET_structure_and_channel_formation

At low frequencies, the silicon dioxide layer underneath the (metal) Gate (G) electrode electrically insulates the gate from the p-type substrate, and you get no current flowing from the Gate to any of the other terminals. In fact, that's where the FET gets its name from: putting charge on the gate oxide "pushes" charges deeper into the substrate and allows a conducting channel to form between the source and drain. It's the electric Field from the gate oxide which Effects the Transistor action. The particulars of the above discussion apply only to enhancement type FETs, which are the vast majority of FETs in use (as opposed to a depletion type FET which has the channel "built-in", requiring you to do the opposite of the above and narrow/shut-off this conducting channel).

You may ask whether or not it's possible to put current between the substrate (source substrate terminal, SS) and either the Source (S) or Drain (D), and the answer is yes! However, your chunk of silicon will be working like a diode, instead of a FET.

If i did understand there have to be some charges supplied to the substrate to allow conduction and these charges are from the gates. Where they have been pushed from by the gate-source reverse biased voltage. Am i right?

kthouz said:
If i did understand there have to be some charges supplied to the substrate to allow conduction and these charges are from the gates. Where they have been pushed from by the gate-source reverse biased voltage. Am i right?

In an IDEAL[*] enhancement FET, the charges do not come from the gate electrode. The charges ACCUMULATE on the gate electrode, and the electric field due to these charges attracts (or repulses) electrons in the substrate, it is these electrons (or exposed holes: positive charges) which actually form the channel.

So yes, there are charges which have been 'pushed' into place to form a channel, but these come from the substrate via charge separation, and not from the gate electrode.

EDIT: The threshold voltage is the minimum gate-source voltage required to form the channel in the first place (absent any channel effects).[*] In reality, the oxide is not a perfect insulator and there's a very small leakage current from gate to bulk or other terminals.

thank you.

Regarding forward bias of the gate-source, a JFET is a depletion device, i.e. normal state of "ON". To turn it OFF, the gate must be driven negative wrt the source for n-channel parts.

However, an n-JFET (or p-JFET) can be enhanced to conduct harder. By driving the gate slightly positive (n), the channel is enhanced and the drain current increases above Idss.

But the gate-source terminals form a p-n junction diode. In the reverse direction, or at zero volts, the current is negligible. As the junction is forward biased, the current will increase but does not reach large values until the voltage exceeds 0.50 V. Like all p-n junctions, the I-V curve is exponential. So in order to not incur large gate currents, the G-S voltage should never be driven positive by more than about 0.50 volts. I hope this helps.

1. What is a Field Effect Transistor (FET)?

A Field Effect Transistor (FET) is a type of semiconductor device that is used to amplify or switch electronic signals. It is composed of three layers - a source, a drain, and a gate - and works by controlling the flow of electrons between these layers using an electric field.

2. How does a FET differ from a Bipolar Junction Transistor (BJT)?

FETs and BJTs are two different types of transistors, but they both serve the same purpose of amplifying or switching electronic signals. The main difference between the two is that FETs use an electric field to control the flow of electrons, while BJTs use a current. This makes FETs more efficient and less prone to noise interference.

3. What are the different types of FETs?

There are three main types of FETs - Junction FETs (JFETs), Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor FETs (MOSFETs), and Insulated-Gate Bipolar Transistors (IGBTs). JFETs have a simple structure and are used for low-power applications. MOSFETs have a more complex structure and are used for high-power applications. IGBTs combine the features of both FETs and BJTs, making them suitable for high-power switching applications.

4. What are the advantages of using FETs?

FETs offer several advantages over other types of transistors. They have a high input impedance, which means they require very little current to control the flow of electrons. They also have a low output impedance, making them ideal for driving loads. FETs are also less susceptible to noise interference and have a faster response time, making them suitable for high-frequency applications.

5. What are some common applications of FETs?

FETs are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including computers, televisions, smartphones, and audio amplifiers. They are also commonly used in power supplies, motor control circuits, and radio frequency amplifiers. In addition, FETs are essential components in many integrated circuits (ICs) used in various electronic systems.