Pinch-Off region of MOS-FET in punch-through?

In summary: This is how the channel current is limited. The drain current can only flow if channels allows it by having enough voltage to keep it open all the way from source to drain, which is not the case in pinch-off area.In summary, the pinch-off region of an NMOS transistor can be described as a NPN-structure in punch-through, where the drain to pinch-off region is a reverse-biased np-junction and the intermediate p-region acts as a high value resistor. This resistor limits the voltage drop across the channel and therefore limits the current flow, preventing the drain current from flowing in the pinch-off region. This analogy provides a qualitative understanding of the pinch-off region in MOSFET transistors.
wolfgang6444
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to understand the pinch-off-region of an NMOS qualitatively as NPN-structure in punch-through
Summary: I am trying to understand the pinch-off-region of an NMOS qualitatively as NPN-structure in punch-through

I was always having trouble understanding what is going on in the pinch-off region of a MOS (say NMOS) Transistor.
Now I recently figured out, that this could be described (at least qualitatively) as NPN-structure in punch-through.
I would like some comments on this analogy:

One n-region would be the drain end of the channel, that is still inverted; thus effectively n-type.
The other n-region would be the drain contact.
The intermediate p-region would be the pinch-off-region, that is no inverted thus; p-type.

The drain to pinch-off region is a reverse-biased np-junction.
The corresponding space-charge region extends throughout the pinch-off region and generates an E-field at the channel to pinch-off "junction" - thus forward-biasing it (just like in punch-through). Thus the e- can enter from the channel into the pinch-off area where they are minorities and are swept out to the drain like all minorities being injected into a reverse biased junction.

Additional thought:
If a lateral spacing was deliberately introduced between gate-edge and drain-contact, no significant drain current would flow (neither for VDS<Vgeff nor VDS> Vgeff), except if the drain bias was that high, that this intermediate p-area would be in punch-through. This is kind of similar to the actual pinch-off area.

Is my analogy a vaild view on the subject?

Wolfgang

Physics news on Phys.org
wolfgang6444 said:
Summary: I am trying to understand the pinch-off-region of an NMOS qualitatively as NPN-structure in punch-through

I was always having trouble understanding what is going on in the pinch-off region of a MOS (say NMOS) Transistor.
Now I recently figured out, that this could be described (at least qualitatively) as NPN-structure in punch-through.
I would like some comments on this analogy:

One n-region would be the drain end of the channel, that is still inverted; thus effectively n-type.
The other n-region would be the drain contact.
The intermediate p-region would be the pinch-off-region, that is no inverted thus; p-type.

The drain to pinch-off region is a reverse-biased np-junction.
The corresponding space-charge region extends throughout the pinch-off region and generates an E-field at the channel to pinch-off "junction" - thus forward-biasing it (just like in punch-through). Thus the e- can enter from the channel into the pinch-off area where they are minorities and are swept out to the drain like all minorities being injected into a reverse biased junction.

Additional thought:
If a lateral spacing was deliberately introduced between gate-edge and drain-contact, no significant drain current would flow (neither for VDS<Vgeff nor VDS> Vgeff), except if the drain bias was that high, that this intermediate p-area would be in punch-through. This is kind of similar to the actual pinch-off area.

Is my analogy a vaild view on the subject?

Wolfgang
Not valid. Punch-through do indeed happen in MOSFET transistors, and is manifesting itself as increase of leakage current at high drain voltage. Not related to normal conduction.
Also, at pinch-off current from channel to body (minority charges current in your terminology) plays no role in current limiting.

More useful description is to imagine pinch-off channel area as high value resistor of consistently n-type, with potential across that resistor gradually increasing from zero at source to Vg-Vth at pinch-off point. Because the voltage increase is created by flow of majority carriers current, the voltage in channel cannot increase beyond Vg-Vth, or gate to channel voltage would become too small to keep the n-channel open. The limitation of voltage drop across resistor is therefore limiting current through the resistor.

1. What is the Pinch-Off region of a MOS-FET in punch-through?

The Pinch-Off region is a critical region in a MOS-FET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) where the channel between the source and drain is completely depleted, resulting in a high resistance state. This region is important in punch-through operation, where the drain voltage is increased to break down the channel and allow current to flow through the device.

2. How does the Pinch-Off region affect the performance of a MOS-FET in punch-through?

The Pinch-Off region plays a crucial role in punch-through operation as it determines the breakdown voltage and current of the MOS-FET. A smaller Pinch-Off region results in a lower breakdown voltage and higher current, while a larger Pinch-Off region leads to a higher breakdown voltage and lower current.

3. What factors influence the size of the Pinch-Off region in a MOS-FET?

The size of the Pinch-Off region is influenced by several factors, including the doping concentration of the substrate, the thickness of the oxide layer, and the applied drain voltage. A higher doping concentration and thinner oxide layer result in a smaller Pinch-Off region, while a higher drain voltage leads to a larger Pinch-Off region.

4. How can the Pinch-Off region be controlled in a MOS-FET?

The size of the Pinch-Off region can be controlled by adjusting the doping concentration of the substrate and the thickness of the oxide layer during the fabrication process. Additionally, the drain voltage can be varied to alter the size of the Pinch-Off region during operation.

5. What are the consequences of a Pinch-Off region that is too small or too large?

If the Pinch-Off region is too small, the MOS-FET may experience premature breakdown, resulting in high leakage current and potential device failure. On the other hand, if the Pinch-Off region is too large, the MOS-FET may not be able to achieve the desired breakdown voltage and current, leading to reduced performance. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully control the size of the Pinch-Off region in MOS-FETs for optimal operation.