How to get someone interested in physics?

• Thread starter darkar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.Better yet, have them read the much better book by the same title.
darkar
I am thinking how to make a person who does not like physics at all initially to a person who likes physics. Any idea how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have them watch "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

Have them watch "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene.

Better yet, have them read the much better book by the same title.

Greene, though being a Quantum theorist does a good job at explaining relativity, however, there is a good pop physics book by one of the foremost experts in GR, Kip Thorne, entitled "Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy." Also highly reccomended.

Is there any practical approach rather than reading books? In my opinion, something moving could be more fascinating. Isn't it so?
Thx

darkar said:
Is there any practical approach rather than reading books? In my opinion, something moving could be more fascinating. Isn't it so?
Thx
That's why I suggested they watch the video of The Elegant Universe". I also have the book, but I would not recommend it as the way to get your friend interested. The video is much more visually exciting and more likely to hold their interest, then if they want, they can read the book.

It probably depends on why they don't like physics. Have they studied it and decided it's not something they find interesting, or have they never studied it and have a preconceived notion of what it's about that has scared them off? Maybe they are intimidated by all the math, or don't see the practical applications? There would be different ways of addressing it depending on the reason for their disliking it.

For example, if they already have taken a class and just didn't find it to be something they liked, well, that's their choice, everyone has their own likes and dislikes and you probably won't change their mind, just set them more against it the harder you try.

If they don't know much about it, watching some documentaries on PBS might show them how interesting it can be in an approachable context (i.e., they explain the ideas in a way people can understand without knowing much about it). Or, a trip to an observatory to peer through a telescope with some associated discussion about the optics involved in the telescope, or the influence of gravitational forces on planets and stars, or just how much energy it requires to climb all those stairs up to the observatory.

If the math intimidates them, sometimes it's easier to start with concepts that don't require much or any math. You can talk about the velocity of the car, acceleration, deceleration, impulse, momentum. People understand how cars go, so that really is a good starting example. Without actually solving any equations (i.e., don't need trig or calc), you can explain the concept of vectors...you drive down the block headed east going 25 mph, 1/4 mi down the road, you turn right (south) onto a highway and go 50 mph for 5 mi, before arriving at your destination (or use metric units...whatever the person is most comfortable with...it doesn't matter in the example, just stick with a comfort level). You can then explain to them that physics (or math, really) can be used to solve an equation that could be used to tell hovercraft pilot exactly what direction and speed to travel "as the crow flies" to meet them at the same time and place. Much better to stick with concrete examples rather than overwhelming them with equations.

Or, if they don't understand the practical applications, explain about things like recreating an accident scene...determining the speed of the two cars, were they braking, what sort of road conditions were there, and how did that contribute to the friction of the tires on the road, or ability to slow down fast enough, and determining if the accident could have been avoided, or who was at fault. While some people will go "gee whiz" with the space-time stuff, usually that's far too abstract to initially entice someone into physics.

A lot of it really will depend on knowing what someone is already interested in. For example, someone who's really into music might enjoy learning about harmonics and sound waves. Someone into cars might be interested in mechanics. Someone with several small children might be fascinated by the concept of entropy. Someone who likes gardening might like to know about levers and how that applies to the more effective use of shovels, pruning shears and wheelbarrows. Someone who enjoys stargazing might enjoy learning more about astronomy.

Moonbear said:
Someone with several small children might be fascinated by the concept of entropy.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

I'll have to remember that one !

Thanks to all of you.
If you have more idea, i will be glad to know.

darkar said:
I am thinking how to make a person who does not like physics at all initially to a person who likes physics. Any idea how?

The first step is probably to determine the level of intelligence of the person. Cognitively demanding professions, such as math, science, law, medicine, and engineering, have intelligence thresholds below which mastery of the subject matter is not going to happen. In the case of physics, I would guess that the mental demands of physics are similar to those of mathematics.

The _g_ Factor, P. 293:
"U. S. Employment Service data show that the _lowest_ IQ found among persons employed with the occupational title 'mathematician' was 115 (the 85th %tile of the general population); the mean IQ was 143."

Brian Green gave a talk at my University a couple years ago. It was mostly about string theory but he made it sound interesting to a relatively lay person - that's the feedback I got from friends in Chemistry and Engineering.

It's difficult to answer the posed question in general. Mostly, it takes "tricks" to initially win a person over.

Here's one trick : Take any cuboidal object (hardcover book, calculator, multimeter, ruler, block of wood, etc.) with dimensions L X W X T (length, width, thickness), with L > W > T (preferable by at least a factor of 1.5). This object has 3 axes defined by the lines joining oppsite face centers. You will find that you can always spin this object in the air, about the shortest and longest axes, but try as you might, it's impossible to spin it stably, about the intermediate axes. It's quite fascinating, and so simple to do !

Why does this happen ? "If you really want to know, you should learn some Physics; things like Euler Angles, and small oscillations."

Surely, there's more such tricks that will help spread the beauty and fun of physics. The others that come to mind, however, require more equipment/materials.

Most people are never going to enjoy physics.

True...but at least it may be possible to alleviate an aversion. There seems to be a negative aura surrounding physics and physicists, as far as the general public are concerned.

Things like the Scientific American series on PBS (especially the ones hosted by Alan Alda) should help some...but I'm not sure it's getting to the masses. If I was a parent, I'd have my kid(s) watch stuff like that. Easier said than done, eh ?

The series with Alan Alda is very good. I was very surprised the other day. Sometimes I feel that my kids don't listen to much of what I say, but I have been astonished several times by what actually sunk in.

Our children do listen. If we truly believe what we tell them, it will register. It will shape their thinking,

We have a responsibility to our children to make the right decisions. Expose them to the right stuff and they will learn.

When I was a kid I used to love Nova programs on PBS and a magazine called Omni. I think that's what got me interested in general science. The conceptual physics class I took recently was one of the most fun classes I have ever taken. My teacher loved doing demonstrations, so every class was a show!

Ahhhhhh...Omni. That was a fun magazine; dangerously bogus at times but fun. :biggrin:

I was born addicted to science but I guess what really made this clear was my 9th grade Van de Graff generator science fair project. I read my dad's first semester college physics book and was instantly hooked. I don't think this kind of fondness for the subject can ever be taught or inspired but by no means do I mean to detract from the importance of significant exposure to the subject for all students. I think as with most subjects, the proper exposure can produce a genuine appreciation for physics, and science in general. This happened da me wit litterture. :biggrin:

There is also a big difference between enjoying physics, and enjoying science news and facts.

Dimitri Terryn said:
Moonbear said:
Someone with several small children might be fascinated by the concept of entropy.
I'll have to remember that one !
There is actually a science fiction story called "The Heat Death of the Universe" by Pamela Zoline which analogizes the struggles of woman with a small child to a larger idea of entropy.

If someone isn't interested I'm not sure you should try to make them interested.

zoobyshoe said:
If someone isn't interested I'm not sure you should try to make them interested.
A lot of help you are with the PF plan for world domination... :-p

plover said:
A lot of help you are with the PF plan for world domination... :-p
That's what I'm saying: if everyone knows physics, how can the PFers dominate them?

Physics for the masses...

Physics fun for all at Ohio State Fair
By Jared Hayes
Published: Tuesday, August 10, 2004

A bottle containing liquid nitrogen exploded in a trash can, causing an ear ringing boom and making the lid blast to the roof of the Youth Discovery Center at the Ohio State Fair. This wasn't an accident or prank, but a science lesson put on by members of Sigma Pi Sigma, the Ohio State physics honor society.

Physics can be fun and the students are demonstrating to fair patrons just how exciting physics can be.

Both children and adults can experience hands-on experiments like lying on a bed of nails, generating electricity by pedaling a bicycle, using an infrared camera, watching sparks fly as a CD is cooked in a microwave oven and watching liquid nitrogen demonstrations.

Yes, if seeing the lid of a trashcan blasted to the ceiling of an auditorium doesn't get someone interested in physics, there's no hope for them.

yup, well I'm interested in that there phizz-ucs.

*hitches up dungarees while chewing on a piece of straw*

Im with Zooby leave the lesser mortals to do their own thing.

Related to How to get someone interested in physics?

1. How can I make physics interesting for someone?

One way to make physics interesting is by relating it to real-world applications and everyday experiences. You can also use interactive demonstrations and experiments to engage the person's curiosity and make the subject more tangible.

2. What are some fun ways to introduce someone to physics?

Some fun ways to introduce someone to physics include watching science documentaries or movies, playing physics-based games, and going on field trips to science museums or observatories. You can also incorporate hands-on activities and challenges to make learning physics more enjoyable.

3. How can I help someone understand complex physics concepts?

When explaining complex physics concepts, it's important to break them down into smaller, more manageable chunks. Use visual aids, analogies, and real-life examples to help the person visualize and understand the concepts better. You can also encourage them to ask questions and facilitate discussions to deepen their understanding.

4. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

Some common misconceptions about physics include thinking that it's all about memorizing equations and formulas, or that it's only applicable in the academic or scientific field. In reality, physics is about understanding the fundamental principles of the universe and how things work, and it has various real-world applications in technology, engineering, and everyday life.

5. How can I motivate someone to pursue a career in physics?

To motivate someone to pursue a career in physics, you can highlight the exciting and challenging aspects of the field, such as exploring the unknown and making groundbreaking discoveries. You can also emphasize the potential for career growth and the opportunity to contribute to society through advancements in technology and innovation. Additionally, you can share success stories of renowned physicists and their contributions to the world.