What are some common questions about Peskin's QFT book?

In summary: We really need to include the rotation. In summary, the conversation discusses the questions and doubts about the microcausality condition, which states that the measurements at two different points do not interfere with each other. It is postulated in QFT and cannot be derived in a general way. The conversation also mentions the need for a rotation, in addition to a boost, to transform a spacelike vector into -V.
ismaili
Dear all,

While I was reading chap2 of Peskin, I got some questions.
(1) The vanishment of the commutator of fields [tex][\phi(x),\phi(y)]=0[/tex] means that the measurements at [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] do not interfere at all. Is this a postulate? Is this the so-called micro-causality?

(2) How Peskin deform the contour of fig.2.3 ? Why the two contour integrals are the same?

(3) How to prove if [tex]x,y[/tex] are space-like separated, there is a continuous Lorentz transformation take [tex]x-y[/tex] to [tex]-(x-y)[/tex]? i.e. I don't understand fig.2.4.

Thanks for anyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
ismaili said:
While I was reading chap2 of Peskin, I got some questions.
(1) The vanishment of the commutator of fields [tex][\phi(x),\phi(y)]=0[/tex] means that the measurements at [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] do not interfere at all. Is this a postulate? Is this the so-called micro-causality?
Yes, this is the microcausality condition.

ismaili said:
(3) How to prove if [tex]x,y[/tex] are space-like separated, there is a continuous Lorentz transformation take [tex]x-y[/tex] to [tex]-(x-y)[/tex]? i.e. I don't understand fig.2.4.
If they are spacelike separated you can define a spacelike vector V that connects them. Then, you can easily show that there exists a Lorentz transformation that transforms V into -V. This will be a rotation of 180 degrees. If you try the same procedure for two points within the light-cone, connected by a timelike vector, you will see that the transformation is not possible.

hellfire said:
Yes, this is the microcausality condition.
Thanks. I guessed this is a "postulate", however, the book didn't give a clear assertion that this is a postulate. So I doubt that this can be derived. Now I think it is a postulate of QFT.
hellfire said:
If they are spacelike separated you can define a spacelike vector V that connects them. Then, you can easily show that there exists a Lorentz transformation that transforms V into -V. This will be a rotation of 180 degrees. If you try the same procedure for two points within the light-cone, connected by a timelike vector, you will see that the transformation is not possible.

Thanks, I got it. But it seems that the argument have to be slightly modified. If V is a spacelike vector, we need not only the rotation to transform V into -V. Because the temporal coordinate is flipped too, so I guess we need a boost also.

Thanks for the discussion!

ismaili said:
Thanks. I guessed this is a "postulate", however, the book didn't give a clear assertion that this is a postulate. So I doubt that this can be derived. Now I think it is a postulate of QFT.
I started a thread a time ago with a similar question. You may want to use the search function to find it. It seems it is actually a postulate: it can be derived for specific representations such as the Fock representation that, however, restricts itself to positive mass solutions. There is no general way to derive it.

ismaili said:
Thanks, I got it. But it seems that the argument have to be slightly modified. If V is a spacelike vector, we need not only the rotation to transform V into -V. Because the temporal coordinate is flipped too, so I guess we need a boost also.
Yes, but I think that a boost will not do the work to completely transform V into -V if it is timelike.

1. What is Peskin QFT?

Peskin QFT or Peskin Quantum Field Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles. It is used to study the interactions between elementary particles and the creation and annihilation of particles in a quantum field.

2. Who is Michael Peskin?

Michael Peskin is a theoretical physicist and professor at Stanford University. He is best known for his contributions to quantum field theory, particularly in the development of the Peskin-Takeuchi parameters which helped to confirm the existence of the Higgs boson.

3. What are the main concepts in Peskin QFT?

The main concepts in Peskin QFT include quantum fields, gauge symmetry, perturbation theory, Feynman diagrams, and renormalization. These concepts are used to describe the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles and to make predictions about their properties and behavior.

4. What are the applications of Peskin QFT?

Peskin QFT has a wide range of applications in particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of fundamental particles and their interactions, as well as to study the properties of materials and the evolution of the universe.

5. Is Peskin QFT difficult to understand?

Like any theoretical framework in physics, Peskin QFT can be challenging to understand, especially for those without a strong background in mathematics and physics. However, with dedication and effort, it is possible to gain a solid understanding of the concepts and applications of Peskin QFT.