Question about QFT Diagrams and their Integrals

In summary, the author is trying to simplify a term in the dual Taylor expansion of Z_{1}(J) in \phi^{3} theory, but is struggling to get the desired result due to the presence of functional derivatives. After taking derivatives, all of the terms in the result have a factor of \Delta(0).
Opus_723
I am studying the terms in the dual Taylor expansion of [itex]Z_{1}(J)[/itex] in [itex]\phi^{3}[/itex] theory, and being introduced to Feynman diagrams in the process. I thought I would try to simplify one of the terms in the expansion so that, after taking derivatives of all the sources, I ended up with integrals that clearly corresponded to each part of the diagram. As an example, I decided to try this for the tadpole with one source, two propagators, and one vertex. This term is complicated enough to have functional derivatives, which I wanted to work with, without appearing too horrendous.

But when I start with the Taylor series term,

[tex]\frac{iZg}{6} \int d^{4}x\left(\frac{1}{i}\frac{\delta}{\delta J(x)}\right)^{3}\frac{i^{2}}{2\cdot4}\int d^{4}yd^{4}zd^{4}y'd^{4}z' J(y)\Delta(y-z)J(z)J(y')\Delta(y'-z')J(z'),[/tex]

and begin taking derivatives, I will get terms where I act a functional derivative on the [itex]J(y)[/itex] and then the [itex]J(z)[/itex], for example. Upon doing the y and z integrals over the resulting dirac deltas, this gives me a propagator of the form [itex]\Delta(x-x) = \Delta(0).[/itex] In fact, all of the terms in my result pick up a factor of [itex]\Delta(0).[/itex] As a consequence, I don't quite get the tadpole diagram I am after, with two propagators, one source, and one vertex, as I "lose" one of the propagators in this manner.

I am sure that I am making some dumb mistake here, but I can't figure out what's happening.

Physics news on Phys.org
And naturally, after puzzling over what was happening all day, I think it finally clicked about 10 seconds after posting this question, and I feel really silly.

If I'm right, the appearance of that degenerate propagator is completely fine, since it corresponds to the loop in the tadpole? This is basically the same infinity that we are attempting to eliminate when we introduce counterterms, I think? I think that didn't click earlier because of some different choices of variables in my book vs. what I'm doing, but I think maybe that's all that has happened.

Yes, indeed. In the time-position domain you get the singular expression ##\propto \Delta(0)##. This is in terms of Feynman diagrams a closed loop connected only one vertex point with a propagator line. It's called tadpole diagram for semi-obvious reasons (the naming "spermium diagram" was rejected by Phys. Rev. as rumor has it).

In momentum space the diagram of course has the meaning of the quadratically divergent integral
$$\int \mathrm{d}^4 p \frac{1}{m^2-p^2-\mathrm{i} 0^+}.$$
If you argue in the operator formalism including normal ordering of the Hamiltonian density, you get 0. In vacuum QFT all tadpoles can be set to 0 within some class of renormalization schemes. In gauge theories, one should not normal order since the tadpole terms are important for off-shell vertex functions to fulfill the Ward-Takahashi (or Slavnov-Taylor identities).

1. What are QFT diagrams and why are they important in quantum field theory?

QFT diagrams, also known as Feynman diagrams, are graphical representations used to visualize and calculate particle interactions in quantum field theory. They are important because they allow scientists to easily visualize and calculate the complex interactions between particles, making it easier to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems.

2. How are QFT diagrams constructed?

QFT diagrams are constructed by representing each particle interaction as a line or curve, with arrows indicating the direction of the interaction. The vertices, where the lines meet, represent the interaction points, and the lines themselves represent the propagators, which describe the particles' propagation through space and time.

3. What do the integrals in QFT diagrams represent?

The integrals in QFT diagrams represent the probability amplitudes for particle interactions to occur. These integrals are calculated using Feynman rules, which assign mathematical expressions to each component of the diagram, such as the propagators and vertices.

4. How are the integrals in QFT diagrams solved?

The integrals in QFT diagrams are solved using a combination of analytical and numerical techniques, depending on the complexity of the diagram. In simple cases, the integrals can be solved using mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory. In more complex cases, numerical methods such as Monte Carlo simulations may be used.

5. What is the significance of the integrals in QFT diagrams?

The integrals in QFT diagrams play a crucial role in calculating the probability amplitudes for particle interactions, which in turn determine the behavior and properties of quantum systems. These integrals allow scientists to make precise predictions about particle interactions and test the validity of quantum field theory in various scenarios.