Wrong units conversion in press

• Thread starter Redbelly98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary: I've corrected it in the past.In summary, The NASA spacecraft that was lost due to a conversion error was lost due to a mistake made by the engineers, and it has been corrected.
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
It really annoys me when professionals mess up unit conversions.

From http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090403/sc_afp/usclimatewarming_20090403144320
"The amount of the Arctic Ocean covered by ice at the end of summer by then could be only about 1 million square kilometers, or about 620,000 square miles," said US researchers who authored the study published Thursday.

(1 million km^2 is actually 390,000 square miles.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My personal one is the unnecessary number of decimal places (especially here in metric land)
I just bought a barbecue that warns me to keep it 182.8cm (6ft?) away from flammable materials.

EDIT: responding to deleted post.

The conversion is not between km and miles, rather it is between square km and square miles.

1 million km^2 = (1000 km) x (1000 km)
= (621 miles) x (621 miles)
= 621 x 621 miles^2
= 385,000 sq. miles

It's a common enough error for science students, not to square the length conversion factor in order to get to get area. Just a little irksome when professionals do this.

Last edited:
mgb_phys said:
I just bought a barbecue that warns me to keep it 182.8cm (6ft?) away from flammable materials.

LOL, that's funny!

I swear I would fall over if a local news agency ever grasped the difference between kWs, and kW-Hrs. Any time I see a story about the price of electricity, they always cite the price in cents per kW.

I'd buy a kW for $100 if I could keep it for the rest of my life.

Proton Soup said:

I was also thinking about google... and this monday xkcd

http://www.xkcd.com/563/

fermirotica.png

I love how Google handles dimensional analysis. Stats are ballpark and vary wildly by time of day and whether your mom is in town

BTW, the way I read the article from post #1, it is the scientists and not the reporter who made the error.

The same mistake is given on NOAA's website
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2009/20090402_seaice.html

I reported the mistake to them; we'll see if there's a correction or do they just write me off as some anally retentive geek from the fringes of society. Well, at least they did acknowledge receiving my email.

Proton Soup said:

That's exactly what I did. Had to be sure, after all.

Redbelly98 said:
It really annoys me when professionals mess up unit conversions.

October 01, 1999

NASA lost its $125-million Mars Climate Orbiter because spacecraft engineers failed to convert from English to metric measurements when exchanging vital data before the craft was launched, space agency officials said Thursday.
http://articles.latimes.com/1999/oct/01/news/mn-17288

noaa article seems to be fixed already

Ben Niehoff said:
I'd buy a kW for $100 if I could keep it for the rest of my life.

I'll sell you a kW but only for 5 seconds.

Proton Soup said:
noaa article seems to be fixed already

You're right. It was mistaken earlier (within 1/2 hour of 1st post in this thread). When I went back later and saw the same date there, 2 Apr 2009, I just assumed it had not been corrected yet.

Thanks for pointing that out.

There was a piece on Antarctic warming where they said that the temperature had been increasing 32.2 F per year for the last decade.

I'm pretty sure they meant "increasing 0.1 C per year"

1. What causes wrong units conversion in press?

There are several factors that could cause wrong units conversion in press, such as human error, incorrect conversion formulas, faulty measuring equipment, or software glitches.

2. How can I prevent wrong units conversion in press?

To prevent wrong units conversion in press, it is important to double check all conversions, use reliable measuring equipment, and ensure that the correct conversion formulas are being used. Regularly updating and testing software can also help prevent errors.

3. What are the potential consequences of wrong units conversion in press?

The consequences of wrong units conversion in press can range from minor inaccuracies to major production errors. It could lead to wasted materials, financial losses, and damage to the reputation of the company.

4. How can I fix wrong units conversion in press?

If wrong units conversion has already occurred, it is important to identify the source of the error and correct it as soon as possible. This could involve recalibrating equipment, updating software, or implementing stricter quality control measures.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to help with units conversion in press?

Yes, there are many online conversion calculators and software programs specifically designed for units conversion in press. It is important to choose a reliable and accurate tool and to double check all conversions for accuracy.