Centre of mass of truncated sphere

In summary: V}The answer is as follows:The center of mass for the truncated sphere is at (0, 0, -\frac{\alpha}{2R}) .
amjadmuhd

Homework Statement

derivation of the centre of mass of the truncated sphere

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried to solve it with triple integrals but i failed to figure ut the integral limits

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to give more information here.
HOW is the sphere trunctated?

AS for the integral limits, you should most likely shift to spherical coordinates.

Dear,
Please see the attached File

Attachments

• File0003.jpg
    File0003.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 466
Please state the problem here, rather than referring to some other document I have to wait before opening.

i m sorry for that but i can not draw diagram in this page,thats why i send the attached image.
i m again sorry ,i don't want u to wait.

Well, I am unable to open the file prior to the mentor's approval of it.

Now, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by saying "h and R" is changing.
We have the relation:
[tex]h=R+\sqrt{R^{2}-(\frac{\alpha}{2})^{2}}[/tex]
For any particular truncation, (with [itex]\phi[/itex] being the angle between the upwards vertical and the position vector from the origin,) we may decompose our volume as a sphere with the appropriate cone cut out, plus that cone.

The volume of the cone is clearly: [tex]V_{cone}=\frac{1}{3}\pi(\frac{\alpha}{2})^{2}*\sqrt{R^{2}-(\frac{\alpha}{2})^{2}}[/tex]
wheras the volume of the "cone-less" sphere must be:
[tex]V=\int_{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{R}r^{2}\sin\phi{dR}d\theta{d}\phi=\frac{2\pi{R}^{3}}{3}(1+\cos(\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})))=\frac{2\pi{R}^{3}}{3}(1+\frac{\sqrt{R^{2}-(\frac{\alpha}{2})^{2}}}{R})[/tex]

As for the center of mass, I forgot that that was your question. Sorry, I'll look upon it tomorrow..

Okay, I'll finish this, then:

Since [itex]z=r\cos\phi[/itex], it follows that on the plane where [itex]z=\sqrt{R^{2}-(\frac{\alpha}{2})^{2}}[/tex], we have that the radius follows the the curve:
[tex]r=\frac{\sqrt{R^{2}-(\frac{\alpha}{2})^{2}}}{\cos\phi}[/tex]

Also, remember that the truncated sphere is axially symmetric, so that the x-y-coordinates must be zero.

Generally, assuming unit density, the z-coordinate of the center of mass of some region R will be:
[tex]z_{c.m}=\frac{1}{V}\int_{R}zdV[/tex]

We decompose our integral into two parts, then (with V as the ugly expression given above):
[tex]z_{c.m}=\frac{2\pi}{V}(\int_{0}^{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}\int_{0}^{\frac{Z}{\cos\phi}}zr^{2}\sin\phi{d\phi}dr+\int_{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{R}zr^{2}\sin\phi{d\phi}dr)[/tex]

With [tex]Z=\sqrt{R^{2}-(\frac{\alpha}{2})^{2}}[/tex]

We now calculate the two integrals:
[tex]\int_{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{R}zr^{2}\sin\phi{d\phi}dr=\int_{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{R}r^{3}\cos\phi\sin\phi{d\phi}dr=\int_{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}^{\pi}\frac{R^{4}}{4}\cos\phi\sin(\phi)d\phi=\frac{R^{4}}{8}\sin^{2}\phi\mid_{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}^{\pi}=-\frac{R^{2}\alpha^{2}}{32}[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}\int_{0}^{\frac{Z}{\cos\phi}}r^{3}\cos\phi\sin\phi{d\phi}dr=\int_{0}^{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}\frac{Z^{4}}{4}\frac{\sin\phi}{\cos^{3}\phi}d\phi=\frac{Z^{4}}{8}\frac{1}{\cos^{2}\phi}\mid_{0}^{\sin^{-1}(\frac{\alpha}{2R})}=\frac{Z^{4}}{8}(\frac{4R^{2}}{4R^{2}-\alpha^{2}}-1)=\frac{Z^{4}}{8}\frac{\alpha^{2}}{4R^{2}-\alpha^{2}}[/tex]

Adding these, you should get something like:
[tex]z_{c.m}=-\frac{\pi\alpha^{4}}{64V}[/tex]

Last edited:
dear can u tell what is alpha

Dear arildno,
Please explain about alpha ,i don't understand about it

Okay, I misread your [itex]\gamma[/itex] for an [itex]\alpha[/itex].
Sorry about that.

[itex] \bar{z} = \frac{1}{V}\int_R z dV [/itex]

Why isn't the answer:

[itex]\frac{\int _0^hz r^2\text{Sin}\left[\text{ArcCos}\left[1-\frac{z}{r}\right]\right]^2dz}{\int _0^h r^2\text{Sin}\left[\text{ArcCos}\left[1-\frac{z}{r}\right]\right]^2dz}[/itex]

1. What is the definition of centre of mass of a truncated sphere?

The centre of mass of a truncated sphere is the point at which the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated or balanced.

2. How is the centre of mass of a truncated sphere calculated?

The centre of mass of a truncated sphere can be calculated by taking the weighted average of the individual centres of mass of the two components - the spherical cap and the frustum.

3. What factors affect the location of the centre of mass of a truncated sphere?

The location of the centre of mass of a truncated sphere is affected by the dimensions and mass of the object, as well as the distribution of mass within the object.

4. Is the centre of mass of a truncated sphere always located within the object?

No, the centre of mass of a truncated sphere may not always be located within the object. It depends on the dimensions and mass distribution of the object.

5. Why is the centre of mass of a truncated sphere important in physics?

The centre of mass of a truncated sphere is important in physics because it helps in analyzing the motion and stability of the object. It also plays a crucial role in determining the rotational motion of the object.