Solving Coulomb's Law: Using Mass, Length, and Charge

Coulomb's Law is applied, it is necessary to find the angle opposite the electrostatic force F by using the fact that the angle opposite the tension T is half of \phi. Then, using the approximation given, the distance between the two charges x can be found in equilibrium position. In summary, to solve this problem, it is necessary to use Coulomb's Law and find the angle opposite to the electrostatic force by using the given approximation. This will allow for the calculation of the distance between the two charges in equilibrium position.
Watsonb2

Homework Statement

Given: Two similar tiny balls of mass M are hung from silk threads of length L and carry equal charges q. An angle is formed where the two threads meet which we'll call [tex]\phi[/tex] (This angle is actually divided in half and each half is called [tex]\theta[/tex])

Assume that [tex]\theta[/tex] is so small that tan [tex]\theta[/tex] can be replaced by its approximate equal, sin [tex]\theta[/tex].

I'm supposed to show that, for the following approximation, the distance between the two charges, x, in equilibrium, is equal to:

x = [((q^2)L) / 2 [tex]\pi[/tex] [tex]\epsilon[/tex]sub 0 (m)(g)]^(1/3)

Homework Equations

Obviously, Coulomb's Law plays a major role in determining the outcome of this problem, but I'm yet unsure of where and how I actually apply it...

Since mass is given to us, I assume that I'll have to use F = ma or some derivation of it to find the force that will be used in Coulomb's Law...

The Attempt at a Solution

Since they give the length of the thread, I figure that 1/2 x is going to be equal to the tangent of [tex]\theta[/tex], but since tan is to be replaced with sin, I'm not exactly sure where this leaves me...

I really didn't know where to start with this one, so, even if you can offer direct advice, even a point in the right direction would be nice...

Physics news on Phys.org
In equilibrium position, the ratio of the forces to the sin of opposite angle are constant.
In the problem the forces are tension T, electrostatic force F and weight of the balls mg.
Identify the angles opposite to these forces and apply above rule.

Thanks, I was able to get the right answer, I appreciate the helpful tip.

-B

FAQ: Solving Coulomb's Law: Using Mass, Length, and Charge

1. What is Coulomb's Law and why is it important?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the relationship between electric charges. It states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of electrically charged particles.

2. How do mass, length, and charge affect Coulomb's Law?

Mass and length do not directly affect Coulomb's Law, as it only depends on the charges of the objects and the distance between them. However, in some cases, the mass and size of the objects can indirectly affect the force between them, such as in the case of two charged particles orbiting each other. The magnitude of the charge directly affects the force, as a larger charge will result in a stronger force between two objects.

3. What is the equation for Coulomb's Law and how is it used?

The equation for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force between two charged objects, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the objects, and r is the distance between them. This equation is used to calculate the force between two charged objects and can be used to predict the behavior of electrically charged particles.

4. How does the distance between two charged objects affect the force between them?

The distance between two charged objects has an inverse relationship with the force between them. This means that as the distance between the objects increases, the force decreases. This is because the force is spread out over a larger area as the distance increases, resulting in a weaker force between the objects.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Coulomb's Law?

Yes, Coulomb's Law has many real-world applications. It is used in the design of electrical circuits, the operation of electronic devices, and the behavior of charged particles in atoms and molecules. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic fields and is crucial in understanding the behavior of charged particles in space.

Back