Susceptibility dielectric material

In summary, the conversation involves finding the susceptibility of a linear dielectric material, which is represented by the equation P=\epsilon\chi(material)E. The speaker used the ratio of the electric fields in the material and in vacuum to find a value of 1.61 for the susceptibility. However, there is some uncertainty about which field should stay the same when the free charge sources are unchanged.
jackxxny

Homework Statement

I have a linear dielectric material. The electric field in the material is 38% less than a vacuum field with the same external sources. I need to find the susceptibility of the material?

Homework Equations

I used
P=[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]\chi(vacuum)[/tex]E
P=[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]\chi(material)[/tex].62E

The Attempt at a Solution

i did the ratio of the 2 and i found

[tex]\chi(material)[/tex]= 1.61

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
jackxxny said:
i did the ratio of the 2 and i found

[tex]\chi(material)[/tex]= 1.61

is this correct?

I'm not sure what you mean here.. the polarization in vacuum should be zero shouldn't it? What field stays the same when the free charge sources are unchanged? Electric field ? Displacement field? Polarization?

What is Susceptibility Dielectric Material?

Susceptibility dielectric material is a type of material that is used in electronics to store and transmit electrical energy. It is characterized by its ability to polarize in an electric field, allowing it to store and release energy efficiently.

How is Susceptibility Dielectric Material different from other types of materials?

Susceptibility dielectric material has a higher dielectric constant compared to other materials, meaning it can store more electrical energy. It also has a low electrical conductivity, making it ideal for use in capacitors and other electronic devices.

What factors affect the susceptibility of a dielectric material?

The susceptibility of a dielectric material is influenced by several factors, including the type of material, its chemical composition, and its physical properties such as density and temperature. The electric field strength and frequency also play a significant role in determining the susceptibility of a material.

How is susceptibility measured in dielectric materials?

Susceptibility is typically measured using a device called a dielectric spectrometer. This instrument applies an alternating electric field to the material and measures its response, allowing for the determination of the material's dielectric constant and other relevant properties.

What are the applications of susceptibility dielectric materials?

Susceptibility dielectric materials have a wide range of applications, including in electronic components such as capacitors, insulators, and transistors. They are also used in the production of batteries, sensors, and other devices that require energy storage and transmission.