Questions About Nanotechnology: Bachelor/Master Programs & More

In summary, the individual is interested in nanotechnology and has a few questions. They ask what subjects to prepare for, which universities offer nanotechnology programs in Asia, what undergraduate major is suitable for graduate studies in nanotechnology, and what the prospects are for the field in the future. It is noted that nanotechnology is a highly interdisciplinary field and individuals with backgrounds in various sciences and engineering are involved. Some universities in Asia with dedicated nanoscience programs are suggested.
IllSc
HI I'm a member
Actually I'm curious about nano technology/nano engineering but don't much about it, and want to ask a few questions.
First, what subject should I prepare for taking nanotechnology?
Second what university offers nanotechnology for Bachelor/Master programme? I prefer in Asia.
Third, Say I'm taking nanotechnology for my graduate studies, what undergraduate major can take it?
last If I take nanotechnology as my major what will i learn? also waht is the prospect of nanotechnology in future?
That's all thank you. Sorry for my bad english.

Engineering news on Phys.org
IllSc said:
HI I'm a member
Actually I'm curious about nano technology/nano engineering but don't much about it, and want to ask a few questions.
First, what subject should I prepare for taking nanotechnology?
Second what university offers nanotechnology for Bachelor/Master programme? I prefer in Asia.
Third, Say I'm taking nanotechnology for my graduate studies, what undergraduate major can take it?
last If I take nanotechnology as my major what will i learn? also waht is the prospect of nanotechnology in future?
That's all thank you. Sorry for my bad english.

Nobody seems to have answered your question, so I'll give this a go...

Some universities now offer dedicated 'nanotechnology' or nanoscience programs in Science or Engineering to prepare students for 'nanotechnology careers'. In my experience, a lot of the people that make use of our own fabrication facilities (so keep in mind that this is biased towards actual fabrication people) have backgrounds in Engineering (Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical, or Materials) or Science (Physics, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Biology). In short, they come from all sorts of science backgrounds, though many have had previous experience (summer or honors research) in nanoscience. Fundamentally 'nanotechnology' is a huge and interdisciplinary process, and that's why this diverse background is desirable.

In addition, there are people that do simulations and design work that come from mathematics and occasionally, computer science backgrounds (in addition to those that come from the programs mentioned above). Why do I say 'occasionally' computer science? Because typically, it's easier for the person that has a good understanding of science or engineering to pick up / develop their programming abilities than the other way around.

So, don't worry so much about which undergraduate program you choose, but do it at a school that has many researchers working in the various branches of 'nanotechnology', and see if you can work for them as a summer student! That and figure out which area of nanotechnology you might like to go into for a graduate program (assuming you still want to do so, at the end) and modify your program as you need to.

As for universities in Asia, well, that's an awfully big place. I did a quick search, and discovered that Wikipedia has a list of schools with dedicated nanoscience programs (i.e. BSc in nanotechnology, nanoscience, etc.--but keep in mind what I wrote above):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanotechnology_education

Given the expense of establishing and stocking cleanrooms and micro/nano fabrication facilities, that your best bet may be (in no particular order) National University in Singapore, and various universities in Australia, Japan, and Taiwan. After that, probably Taiwan and Malaysia. Hopefully, someone else will weigh in here, or you'll share some of your own findings.

Good luck!

1. What is nanotechnology and why is it important?

Nanotechnology is the study and manipulation of matter on an incredibly small scale, typically at the nanoscale level (1 to 100 nanometers). It has the potential to revolutionize industries such as medicine, electronics, and energy by creating new materials and devices with unique properties.

2. What are the educational requirements for pursuing a career in nanotechnology?

Most careers in nanotechnology require at least a bachelor's degree in a related field such as engineering, physics, chemistry, or materials science. However, for more advanced positions, a master's or doctoral degree may be required.

3. Are there specific universities or programs that offer degrees in nanotechnology?

Yes, there are several universities around the world that offer specific degree programs in nanotechnology, such as the University of Waterloo in Canada, the University of Oxford in the UK, and the National University of Singapore. Many universities also offer courses or concentrations in nanotechnology within their engineering or science departments.

4. What skills or knowledge should I have to be successful in a nanotechnology program?

A strong foundation in math and science is essential for success in a nanotechnology program. Additionally, skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail are important for working at the nanoscale level. Familiarity with computer programming and laboratory techniques is also beneficial.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in nanotechnology?

Graduates with a degree in nanotechnology can pursue a variety of careers in industries such as healthcare, electronics, energy, and materials. Some common job titles include nanoscientist, nanotechnologist, research and development engineer, and materials engineer. They may also choose to pursue further education in a specific subfield of nanotechnology or go into academia as a professor or researcher.