1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Materials Science a good PhD route to pursue?

1. Sep 9, 2013 #1
    Hello everyone,

I'm an undergraduate senior majoring in physics and math, with plans to go to grad school next year. I have two questions for you all: 1) for someone interested in nanotechnology, biotechnology, and physics, is materials science a good PhD to pursue? 2) If so, are there any graduate schools you recommend whose materials science program is particularly great in nano/biotech?

Much thanks,
    Daniel

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2013 #2
    Materials Science/Engineering on its own is a (sort of) new concepts.

A lot of times you can still find a physics department, or engineering, with faculty who do research in materials. Often in the name of condensed matter or solid state.

I am not too familiar with the programs or departments but you can look at Vanderbilt in Tennessee and U. Conn.

4. Sep 9, 2013 #3
    I guess the job market for material science is better than high-energy physics, since there are so many practical stuff...

5. Sep 11, 2013 #4
    Alright, great. Thanks for your help guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook