1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Major in Bio-engineering or Nanotechnology?

1. Jul 31, 2014 #1
    So.... "long story short"
    I like Nanotechnology / Nanoengineering better than Bioengineering,
    but I also like Bio....
    my question is, which is a better major? Which will get me a better job or get me a job faster?
    Both fields are "new" and are promising in terms of future, but I've heard more talk on Bio rather than Nano...
    Can I major in Nano and work in a Bio field? or in a Physics field?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2014 #2
    There really aren't many jobs for nanotechnology. It is very hard to find jobs in biomedical fields that employ nanotech. How many commercial devices or technologies can you name that are currently making lots of money on the market? There aren't that many because the FDA hasn't approved very many. There is a lot more hype over nanotech, such as nanoparticles, than actual tangible translation. The end result: not many jobs outside of academia or government labs--and those positions have insane amounts of competition. The only well established nanodevice industry is related to semiconductors and microfabrication, but now those jobs are constantly being outsourced and many of the entry level tech jobs are very low paying. There are some microfluidics devices being employed for highthroughput screening, but as a whole, the industry making these devices can not support the number of graduates graduating each year in these fields. Your best bet is simply to study mechanical engineering or chemical engineering--two degrees that could be used for much more in industry or can eventually still be used to study nanotechnology in graduate school.

Just do a job search right now and see how many jobs you can find related to "nanotechnology", "nanoparticles", "nanodevices", etc. Nanotech has some really cool ideas, but unfortunately we are still 30 years or more away from it actually producing a huge industry that can sustain high levels of employment for highly trained talent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook