How do I rewrite this triple integral into the form \int\int\int dxdydz?

In summary, the conversation discusses rewriting an integral and changing the order of integration. The individual asking for help is provided with a visual aid and instruction on how to approach the problem. The conversation ends with the individual expressing their gratitude.
violette
Hi!Can anyone please help me out with this question?
Appreciate any help,thanks!

Rewrite the integral:
∫0<x<1 ∫0<z<1-x2 ∫0<y<1-x dxdzdy

into this form: [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] dxdydz

How do I change the integrals?Can any kind souls teach me how to sketch the diagram?I can't visualise it >.<

thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
x=1 is plane , z=1-x^2 graph this in the zx plane and you get a parabola and then extend this straight out on the y axis, it will look like you took a piece of paper and curved it into the shape of a paraboloid. then graph y=1-x in the xy plane, then put it all together.

hi thanks for the reply =)
but what about yz plane?

violette said:
Hi!Can anyone please help me out with this question?
Appreciate any help,thanks!

Rewrite the integral:
∫0<x<1 ∫0<z<1-x2 ∫0<y<1-x dxdzdy

into this form: [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] dxdydz

How do I change the integrals?Can any kind souls teach me how to sketch the diagram?I can't visualise it >.<

thanks in advance!

Your notation is ambiguous. As you nest the integrals, the dimension should decrease as you go from the inner integral to the outer one. Looks like you could mean:

[tex]\int_0^1\int_1^{1-x}\int_0^{1-x^2} dzdydx[/tex]

so it's 3-2-1: the inner integral is from a surface f(y,x) to another surface g(y,x). That's 3D. The centerr one goes from a curve h(x) to another curve p(x). That's 2D, and the outer one goes from the point a to b. That's 1D.

Start by drawing the 3D axes on a sheet of paper with the inner variable point up, center one going into the paper, outer one going horizontally. Then label them. Can you draw a nice picture of just that for now? Ok then. Start with the outer integral and start drawing. First one is easy. just make two points at x=0 and x=1 on your plot. Now the center integral: that one goes from the function y=h(x)=0 to y=p(x)=1-x. Now can you draw in the x-y plane of your plot, those two functions? Now the hard part: Can you next draw, even pretty poorly, the two surfaces f(x,y)=0 and g(x,y)=1-x^2? Start by just drawing the curve for g(x,0)=1-x^2. Then since it's independent of y, draw another curve g(x,1/2)=1-x^2, another one at g(x,3/4)=1/x^2. Try and approach this plot you're drawing as if that's all you had to do and had to draw a nice one to turn in. That'll help with the analysis.

Now when you change the order, it's still 3-2-1 but the functions are different: the inner integral goes from one surface to another and are functions of the two remaining variables, the center integral goes from one curve to the next. These functions are functions of the outer variable, and the outer variable just goes from one point to the next.

Last edited:
Ah yes I manage to get!
THANKS!
=D

1. What is the purpose of rewriting a triple integral?

Rewriting a triple integral involves changing the order of integration or converting to a different coordinate system to make the integral easier to solve. This can save time and effort in solving complex integrals.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration when rewriting a triple integral?

The limits of integration for a rewritten triple integral depend on the specific method used. If changing the order of integration, the new limits are determined by setting up and solving appropriate equations. If converting to a different coordinate system, the limits are found by graphing and understanding the new coordinate system.

3. What are some common methods used to rewrite a triple integral?

The most common methods used to rewrite a triple integral include changing the order of integration, converting to cylindrical or spherical coordinates, and using symmetry to simplify the integral. Other methods may involve substitution or partial fractions.

4. Can a triple integral be rewritten in more than one way?

Yes, a triple integral can often be rewritten in multiple ways. Different methods may lead to different integral expressions, but they should all ultimately evaluate to the same value.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for effectively rewriting a triple integral?

Some tips for rewriting a triple integral include carefully considering the problem and choosing the most appropriate method, being familiar with common coordinate systems and their properties, and practicing with a variety of examples to become more comfortable with the process.