How to build a medium power cyclotron

In summary, a high school freshman is interested in building a cyclotron with a budget of $250-300. However, it is clear that they do not fully understand the basic principles and mathematics behind it, as well as the interaction of fields. They also do not have enough resources to successfully and safely build a cyclotron. The thread is closed and it is advised to not give instructions to the individual.
beatlemaniacj
Hey. I am a freshman in high school, and iv'e been reading about building a cyclotron. I have the basic principles understood but can someone explain how exactly i would assemble on, and the mathematics behind it. ALso and information about how the fields interact would be phenomenal. I have about 250-300 dollars at my disposal to build this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, you don't have the basic principles understood if you don't understand what the fields are doing. And $300 won't even get you started.

I know what they are doing. I need to know some of the mathematics behind the interactions of my ionized hydrogen nucleus and how it travel throughout the fields. I am very good at physics and I understand how a cyclotron works. I need someone to explain some of the calculations. Also where I could get the supplies. I do know How i works, i just need help on how i would assemble it.

Last edited:
No, I'm afraid you don't know what you are doing. Worse, you don't know that you don't know what you are doing. "I need to know ... how it travel throughout the fields" is a statement that you don't really understand the principles.

You don't have either the understanding or the resources ($300 is not enough) to do this.

SIr, i mean mathematically can you supply a formula that would calculate their behavior. and if you think i don't know than please explain. Also i actually need help on building instructions

It will be a VERY small one, the size of a bread plat. As small as possible

It would be irresponsible to give you instructions, as you have neither the understanding nor the resources to do this successfully and safely.

This thread is closed.

1. What is a medium power cyclotron?

A medium power cyclotron is a type of particle accelerator that uses electromagnetic fields to accelerate charged particles, such as protons or electrons, to high speeds. It is used for various scientific and medical applications, including particle physics research, nuclear medicine, and industrial processes.

2. How does a medium power cyclotron work?

A medium power cyclotron works by sending charged particles into a circular path using a combination of magnetic and electric fields. As the particles travel around the circular path, they are accelerated by alternating electric fields, reaching higher and higher speeds. The particles are then extracted and directed towards a target for further experimentation or application.

3. What are the components of a medium power cyclotron?

A medium power cyclotron typically consists of a vacuum chamber, a particle source, a set of electromagnets, and a target. The vacuum chamber houses the entire system and maintains a low-pressure environment. The particle source generates and injects the particles into the chamber. The electromagnets produce the magnetic fields that guide and accelerate the particles. The target is where the particles are directed towards for experimentation or application.

4. What are the benefits of using a medium power cyclotron?

A medium power cyclotron offers several benefits, including high energy efficiency, compact size, and versatility. It can produce high-energy particles at a fraction of the cost of larger accelerators, making it a more cost-effective option for many research and medical facilities. Its compact size also allows it to be easily transported and installed in various locations. Additionally, a medium power cyclotron can accelerate a wide range of particles, making it suitable for various applications.

5. How long does it take to build a medium power cyclotron?

The construction of a medium power cyclotron can vary depending on the specific design and requirements. However, it typically takes several years to build a complete and functional cyclotron. This includes designing and testing the components, building the structure, and assembling and testing the entire system. The process may also involve obtaining necessary permits and approvals from regulatory agencies and ensuring safety measures are in place.