Max Speed Glider w/Double Pulley System & Tub of Cement

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a glider attached to a bathtub full of cement via a double pulley system. The goal is to find the maximum speed of the glider after the tub falls 60 ft. The equations relating to a double pulley system are discussed, and the correct equations for the outer and inner pulleys are provided. The conversation ends with confirmation that the pulley can be assumed to be massless.
nineeyes
A glider is attached to a bathtub full of cement via a double pulley system, (the bath tub is hanging over a cliff). Assume the glider rests on a freely rolling cart. I wasn't sure of exactly how a double pulley works. The picture shows the one where the Glider is attached through the outer radius, and the other is where the Glider is attached through the inner radius. The outer radius is twice as big as the inner one. I figure that the goal of this problem is to get the maximum speed of the glider after the tub falls 60 ft. (The tub weighs twice as much as the glider). I'm just not sure what equations relate to a double pulley system. I know one system will pull pull the glider 2 times as much and the other 1/2 as much, but I can't think of which is which. Any help on this would be great, thanks.

Attachments

• pulleysystem.jpg
    pulleysystem.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 580
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a hint: The inner and outer radii have the same angular speed and angular acceleration. The linear speed and acceleration relate to the angular quantities like so: [itex]v = \omega r[/itex] and [itex]a = \alpha r[/itex].

Thanks, I used work energy and got this for the equation with the outer pulley connected to the glider.

[tex]m_2*g*h=\frac{1}{2}*m_1*(v_1)^2 + \frac{1}{2}*m_2*(\frac{1}{2}*v_1)^2[/tex]

where [tex]m_1[/tex] is the mass of the glider and [tex]m_2[/tex] is the mass of the tub of cement hanging over the side. [tex]v_1[/tex] is the velocity of the glider.

and I got this for the inner pulley connected to the glider.

[tex]m_2*g*h=\frac{1}{2}*m_1*(v_1)^2 + \frac{1}{2}*m_2*(2*v_1)^2[/tex]

Does that look right?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Exactly correct. (Assuming we can ignore the KE of the pulley itself--assume it's massless.)

Yes, the pulley is massless in this problem. Thanks for the help!

1. How does the double pulley system work on the Max Speed Glider?

The double pulley system on the Max Speed Glider allows for increased speed and efficiency by reducing the amount of force needed to pull the glider. As the rope is pulled through the two pulleys, the weight of the glider is distributed evenly, allowing for smoother and faster movement.

2. What is the purpose of the tub of cement on the Max Speed Glider?

The tub of cement serves as a counterweight for the glider, providing stability and balance during flight. This helps to prevent the glider from tipping over or losing control.

3. How does the weight of the cement affect the glider's performance?

The weight of the cement can have a significant impact on the glider's performance. A heavier weight will increase the glider's momentum and lower its air resistance, allowing it to travel at higher speeds. However, if the weight is too heavy, it may cause the glider to become too difficult to control.

4. Can the Max Speed Glider be used for scientific experiments?

Yes, the Max Speed Glider is a great tool for conducting scientific experiments related to physics and motion. The double pulley system and weight of the cement allow for controlled and precise movements, making it ideal for studying the principles of motion and forces.

5. Is the Max Speed Glider suitable for all ages?

The Max Speed Glider is recommended for ages 8 and up, as younger children may not have the strength or coordination to handle the double pulley system and cement weight properly. It is important to always supervise children while using the Max Speed Glider to ensure safety.